Newbie 9mm Ammo Question - Page 2

Newbie 9mm Ammo Question

This is a discussion on Newbie 9mm Ammo Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by First Sgt I recently ordered my first Glock, a G26. In preparation I've also ordered/received two extra mags, plan to order a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I recently ordered my first Glock, a G26. In preparation I've also ordered/received two extra mags, plan to order a UpLULA magazine loader. My AMMO QUESTIONS ARE THIS: 1)I am planning on using Winchester WB 147 gr Hollow Points as my "carry" ammo. Opinion on my choice? 2) I have bought a couple of 100 rd boxes of Winchester WB115 gr full metal jackets for range practice. Will the 115 be ok? Thanks!
    Speer makes a Gold Dot load specifically for short barrels. I't avoid the 147 Gr. loads in the short tubes, as there is some evidence to suggest expansion might not be reliable with the lower velocity.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The 9mm and 38 Special are the two rounds that I am most "picky" about when selecting my carry ammo.

With that said, in no particular order, except as noted, this is what I will use in 9mm:

Federal 115 Grain +P+ JHP
    Federal 115 Grain JHP (last choice)
    Gold Dot 124 Grain +P JHP
    Winchester 127 Grain +P+ JHP
    Corbon 115 Grain +P DPX JHP (last choice of +P ammo)

I don't use 147 Grain in the 9mm due to it's over-penetrative capability and dismal failures to exspand a few short years ago. All of the ammo I select has been tried and tested on the street, where it counts.

If the new crop of 9mm 147 Grain ammo is better, great. Maybe in 10 years or so I will consider it. My momma didn't raise me to be anybody's Beta tester. The Corbon, while new, has a company reputation behind it that I trust. It is also my last choice in the +P choices due to it's being so new.

You will notice that I favor +P and +P+ ammo over "standard velocity" ammo. The reason for that is, the 9mm already has a very narrow window of capability, and I want to maximize that capability to the best of my ability. Don't worry, I also favor +P 45 ACP ammo too.

I'm currently carrying Federal 115 Grain +P+ JHP's because it's easy to get, shoots POA/POI, functions in my Block and is reletively inexspensive for what you get, $16/50.

I recommend buying your "practice" ammo at Walmart. Your self defensive ammo should be purchased from a reputable source, not Walmart.

Biker

I use nothing but WWB. Why? It's cheaper and that allows me to shoot more and practice is good. I'm sure that there is finer ammo, but if I can't afford to shoot it much, is it worth it? I still haven't found anyone who wants to get shot with WWB.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Snakedriver,

How far away are you planning on shooting the BG at? Past certain distances it will become less clear self defense was the reason for the shoot.

Any ammo that will feed reliably with your gun is great for practice. I try to practice, and reload with 124 gr. which is what I carry in all the 9mms.

I just ordered some Speer Gold Dot HP +P 124 gr, 200 rounds for just over $125 shipped. It seems that most everyone is out of Federal HST at the moment.
    Here's a place that has it in stock.

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

Cool

Farronwolf, point well taken. 9mm is a close-in weapon anyway. Uzi's don't even shoot very well at a distance. I've always felt better with the 115 gr.'s in my gun because I knew they would be going exactly where I aimed them.

Here is a link to an interesting article prefaced by Chuck Hawks discussing the proper kind of self defense ammo by caliber. It recommends use of 115 gr. ammo in a 9mm as well

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Snakedriver,

How far away are you planning on shooting the BG at? Past certain distances it will become less clear self defense was the reason for the shoot.

Any ammo that will feed reliably with your gun is great for practice. I try to practice, and reload with 124 gr. which is what I carry in all the 9mms.

I just ordered some Speer Gold Dot HP +P 124 gr, 200 rounds for just over $125 shipped. It seems that most everyone is out of Federal HST at the moment.
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

I am going to order a Glock 19 Tuesday. Meanwhile I have a KT PF9. I intend to carry whatever I can comfortably conceal depending on the weather, where I'm going, how I'm dressed and my mood.

I have a KT P3AT (.380)that will hide easily with shorts and T-shirt. The PF9 is small, but not shorts pocket small. And the Glock will be between it and the Ruger P90 (.45 Auto)

The little Kel-Tec 9s don't like anything bigger than 124 gr and actually are better with 115s. +P is usable but not recommended. So, 124 gr Speer Gold Dot. And when I get the Glock, it will use the same ammo. I use Blazer Brass 115 FMJ for range rounds.

That means I have 12 gauge, .380, 9mm and .45 in my ammo box. I need one range round and one carry round for each just to reduce the confusion.

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15 View Post
    I am going to order a Glock 19 Tuesday. Meanwhile I have a KT PF9. I intend to carry whatever I can comfortably conceal depending on the weather, where I'm going, how I'm dressed and my mood.

I have a KT P3AT (.380)that will hide easily with shorts and T-shirt. The PF9 is small, but not shorts pocket small. And the Glock will be between it and the Ruger P90 (.45 Auto)

The little Kel-Tec 9s don't like anything bigger than 124 gr and actually are better with 115s. +P is usable but not recommended. So, 124 gr Speer Gold Dot. And when I get the Glock, it will use the same ammo. I use Blazer Brass 115 FMJ for range rounds.

That means I have 12 gauge, .380, 9mm and .45 in my ammo box. I need one range round and one carry round for each just to reduce the confusion.

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV
    Straight 124 in a PF9? nO +P?

Im only asking because Ive never shot anything other than the 115 in my Kel Tec P11. Ive always shot WWB from Wally World and have not shot any JHP because Wally World only had 124 +P when I went there.

After reading the Chuck Hawk thing a few weeks ago I was thing of using the WWB 115 JHP in the Kel Tec. I assumed 124 was more than the P11 could handle.

So I guess Im asking if the P11 will handle the 124 just fine? Of course Ill try more than the WWB JHP when I get to carrying (waiting for the permit to get here)

Quote Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
    Farronwolf, point well taken. 9mm is a close-in weapon anyway. Uzi's don't even shoot very well at a distance. I've always felt better with the 115 gr.'s in my gun because I knew they would be going exactly where I aimed them.

Here is a link to an interesting article prefaced by Chuck Hawks discussing the proper kind of self defense ammo by caliber. It recommends use of 115 gr. ammo in a 9mm as well

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Hawks' article is outdated. For example, he doesn't even mention +P+ ammo or the Kahr pistols. And all of the recent ballistic tests show the 147 grain HST as a superior defensive round, and easier to shoot out of the smaller guns, like the PM9 (not as "snappy").

I do, however, agree with his statement that some ammo may cause some guns difficulties, and you need to match the ammo to what your gun likes and test for reliability.

I also disagree with your contention of heavier (>115 grain bullets) dropping dramatically. I'm not sure what distances you are shooting, but out of all of my handguns, the 124 grain bullets are good out to 25 yards, which is the extent of my handgun range. However, I agree thay are not a long-range cartridge. Out of a rifle, I set 75 yards as my effective limit.

You will find that most 124gr +p loads will have exceptionally better ballistics than 147gr loads.

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    You will find that most 124gr +p loads will have exceptionally better ballistics than 147gr loads.
    I just ordered 2 x 50rds - 9mm Fiocchi 158gr. Sub-Sonic FMJ Ammo $28.98 @Ammunition to go. These are supposedly very hard hitting rounds.

Anyone have personal experience with them?

No experience with them, I would imagine that some guns might have a problem with that ammo being heavy and slow. Again, I have not heard any reports, good or bad, regarding this ammo.

I have further doubts based on its ballistics though.

According to fiocchi's website, that load, at the muzzle gets 940 fsp and 309 ft-lbs, which is not exactly stellar. Actually, at the muzzle, the 158gr has less velocity and about the same energy as a 124+p does after 100 Yards! At the muzzle, the 124+p Gold Dot is putting down 1220 fps at 410 ft-lbs.

The fiocchi website does not give information on trajectory, but I would also expect a significant bullet drop due to the heavy weight and slow speed. The ballistics of that load are relatively the same as that of a .38spl +p, so one might expect a similar trajectory.

Now I know that it can't all be based on velocity and energy, but I think that it is a good marker.
    Not knocking your choice, Hope I didn;t come across that way.

Let us know how they go!

More info on the 158 gr Fiocchi round from Law Officer.com,

Fiocchi Adds 9mm Subsonic Cartridge to Shooting Dynamics Line.

2008 Dec 2
    Fiocchi Ammunitionís Shooting Dynamics line, one of the most popular in the ammunition industry, is sure to become of even more interest to consumers with the new addition of Fiocchiís 9mm Luger 158-grain full metal jacketed subsonic load. Tthe addition of the new Fiocchi 9mm Luger 158-grain, full metal jacketed subsonic round is certainly a welcome addition and achieves that goal.

Developed for the high volume shooter, Fiocchiís popularly-priced new 9mm Luger subsonic round, just like all of the ammunition products in the Shooting Dynamics line, takes no back seat when it comes to performance.

Fiocchiís 9mm Luger subsonic round leaves the muzzle of a 5-inch barrel at 940 fps, well under the sound barrier, while generating a powerful 309 ft./lbs. of energy. At 50 yards, the bullet loses little momentum while generating 893 fps velocity and 279 ft./lbs. of energy. At 100 yards, this quiet performer still produces 852 fps velocity and 254 ft./lbs. of decisive energy

I am using the Winchester SXT 127 +P+ right now and like it.

Any of the major brands in the 124 grain range with +P or +P+ will work fine.

IMHO.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

That new Fiochi 158 grain subsonic load sounds like best limited to practice ammo only. No doubt a good "penetrator" - a pencil-diameter hole only and danger to anything beyond.

+1 on the 9mm +Ps in range of 124 grains for self defense.
    www.dentoncountysports.com
    A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency

I am using the Winchester SXT 127 +P+ right now and like it.
    +1

Reference the carry of two G26 magazines, you might like to consider one Glock 17 magazine, 17 extra rounds, but only one mag carrier wide on the belt.
    The comment on 100 yd shot with a 9mm?

At the Palm Bay Police range, from prone, I put 3 consecutive hits on a steel plate (18"X18" ?) this was witnessed by my Son and a federal Officer, who laughed when I went prone to shoot at the 100 yd plate.

The round, 147g Black Tallon, it sounds like Bang... then, clang, about two seconds of flight time (seemed like it any how) it is all in the trigger control.

Mind you I was surprised too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links