Newbie 9mm Ammo Question

This is a discussion on Newbie 9mm Ammo Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently ordered my first Glock, a G26. In preparation I've also ordered/received two extra mags, plan to order a UpLULA magazine loader. My AMMO ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie 9mm Ammo Question

Newbie 9mm Ammo Question

I recently ordered my first Glock, a G26. In preparation I've also ordered/received two extra mags, plan to order a UpLULA magazine loader. My AMMO QUESTIONS ARE THIS: 1)I am planning on using Winchester WB 147 gr Hollow Points as my "carry" ammo. Opinion on my choice? 2) I have bought a couple of 100 rd boxes of Winchester WB115 gr full metal jackets for range practice. Will the 115 be ok? Thanks!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    WWB hollow points are better than FMJ, for sure - but they're not quite the same as a newer, high performance round like the Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T. Those are the two rounds I would suggest.

Senior Moderator
    I would try different types of ammo and see which has the best perfromance out of your pistol first.

For me, my best results have come shooting 124 gr Gold Dots and Hydroshoks.

Spend a little money and try function testing different ammo.

I never carry any ammo in my gun that has not first fired 200 to 250rds flawlessly through my pistol.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The 115 fmj is a decent start for practice. Ultimately you want to end up shooting something that is as close to your carry ammo as possible. Different loads have different recoil characteristics. For a lot of people practicing with their carry ammo is cost prohibitive. What I would suggest is if after function/accuracy testing you decide on say a 124 grain hollow point for carry, you find yourself an inexpensive (relatively) 124grain fmj load with the same velocity (or as close as possible) for practice. This will give you about the same recoil as your carry load and about the same bullet drop at longer ranges.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

147 grain black talons or lawman

In 9mm - 124 gr. Federal HST, regular or +p, carry ammo for sure - I doubt that it'll be improved on much to speak of for many years to come. Perhaps DPX is as good, but for a lot more money.

You'll probably have to buy it online. Buy at least 5 boxes, in case they quit selling it to civilians down the road. They'll probably last a lifetime if you don't use too many to sight in with. Practice with anything cheap that approximates the POI of the HST's you've sighted in with.

Run a few HST's through it every now and again to make sure they still don't hang up. (They shouldn't if you've polished your ramp and done a little fine tuning along the way.

Don't rethink the issue. It's not worth the stress.

You're good to go!

Practice a lot - always carry - never tell!

My $.02 worth.

If you can hit where you need to, any JHP is good and even a couple of FMJs will do the job. If you can't place you shots, there is no bullet in any weight or configuration which will save your butt.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I recently ordered my first Glock, a G26. In preparation I've also ordered/received two extra mags, plan to order a UpLULA magazine loader. My AMMO QUESTIONS ARE THIS: 1)I am planning on using Winchester WB 147 gr Hollow Points as my "carry" ammo. Opinion on my choice? 2) I have bought a couple of 100 rd boxes of Winchester WB115 gr full metal jackets for range practice. Will the 115 be ok? Thanks!
    Nice choice...easy CCW, too

My last few cases of practice ammo was 124gr FMJ...it could also be used in a SHTF scenario...it all works. My SD ammo is Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    That's what I use you get 50 rounds for a decent price and they are sold as self defense ammo.Personally I like 147 grain ammo as it's sub sonic and it emulates the bigger calibers like the 45 acp.

Depends upon your gun. I have some 9mm's that do not like the 147 gr HP at all. My Springfield XD will shoot anything, but the others do not feed this ammo well.

So, I use the Federal LE 124gr HP , and they work fine in all of them.

147gr is a pretty heavy (not hot) load for a mini gun. I'd recommend a lighter load for a short barrel.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Carry Federal 124 Gr. HST's in my G26. Very high performance stuff IMHO. Like a previous poster stated I would go ahead and buy a few boxes in case they stop selling to the public down the road.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

For me in 9mm the 115's are the most accurate. I use the FMJ's for practice and the JHP's for carry. Ballistically they are very good because of their speed. The 124's and 147's just seem too heavy. Up close they are fine I suppose, but if you get much distance between you and the target they really start to drop. I saw the old movie "Sniper 2" the other day on tv, where he shoots a BG off a building top at 100 yards with his 9mm pistol in a single shot. I hope you realize that's all Hollywood?
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

Snakedriver,

How far away are you planning on shooting the BG at? Past certain distances it will become less clear self defense was the reason for the shoot.

Any ammo that will feed reliably with your gun is great for practice. I try to practice, and reload with 124 gr. which is what I carry in all the 9mms.

I just ordered some Speer Gold Dot HP +P 124 gr, 200 rounds for just over $125 shipped. It seems that most everyone is out of Federal HST at the moment.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The 115 fmj is a decent start for practice. Ultimately you want to end up shooting something that is as close to your carry ammo as possible. Different loads have different recoil characteristics. For a lot of people practicing with their carry ammo is cost prohibitive. What I would suggest is if after function/accuracy testing you decide on say a 124 grain hollow point for carry, you find yourself an inexpensive (relatively) 124grain fmj load with the same velocity (or as close as possible) for practice. This will give you about the same recoil as your carry load and about the same bullet drop at longer ranges.
    +1
    MCP1810 said it all
    I do the same thing with my G33 (same frame your G26 but chambered in 357sig)
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links