44 Mag SD load.

This is a discussion on 44 Mag SD load. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any evidence in concerning the Cor Bon 165 gr. JHP in SD cases? I've chronographed them at 1300 fps from my 4" 629. ...

Thread: 44 Mag SD load.

44 Mag SD load.

Is there any evidence in concerning the Cor Bon 165 gr. JHP in SD cases? I've chronographed them at 1300 fps from my 4" 629. That seems to me like it SHOULD be a good stopper.

2. Remove Ads

It's a .44 Mag. Anything coming out of it should work fine as a man stopper.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    It's a .44 Mag. Anything coming out of it should work fine as a man stopper.
    Well, that's what I'm think'n too but sometimes things are not as they seem.

Re 44 mag self defense!!

While there is no question about the stop ability of a 44 mag.I think it would get you in trouble fast as a self defense weapon. Having shot a lot of big[ deer/bear/and one elk]game, the 44 mag would have problems down range with dangerous over penetration.especially in a area where there were other people around. Reloads make prosecution lawyers happy. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree...ANY .44 should be a great stopper...even low velocity with a big hole should do the trick...seems to work with the ol' .45 ACP!

Ultramax makes a .44 Mag lead load that has negligible recoil (for a .44 Mag!) and is spot on accurate. It is a 240 gr. round nose flat point. If I were to carry my .44 for SD I do believe that is what I would carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    I agree...ANY .44 should be a great stopper...even low velocity with a big hole should do the trick...seems to work with the ol' .45 ACP!

Ultramax makes a .44 Mag lead load that has negligible recoil (for a .44 Mag!) and is spot on accurate. It is a 240 gr. round nose flat point. If I were to carry my .44 for SD I do believe that is what I would carry.
    If you are thinking of the same Ultramax load that I am, they claim 750 fps for it. It is in their Cowboy line. I agree that it should work, and would likely be far easier on the hands than a full-power load.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

240gr JHPs in mine. A HEALTHY dose of 2400 and fired up with a mag primer. The gun hardly ever leaves my home and if the BG breaks in the very least of my worries is overpenetration or reloaded ammo.

Cor Bon

I think it should work, too. I'ts the load I keep in the speedloaders for my 629 Mountain in the unlikely event I should need it for SD or HD. I don't know of anyone shot with it, but it looks good on paper. I see no need for a full power magnum load for SD, just makes it harder for me to practice with the gun when my hand gets beat on for 50 rounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Beees View Post
    While there is no question about the stop ability of a 44 mag.I think it would get you in trouble fast as a self defense weapon. Having shot a lot of big[ deer/bear/and one elk]game, the 44 mag would have problems down range with dangerous over penetration.especially in a area where there were other people around. Reloads make prosecution lawyers happy. Just my 2 cents worth.
    These are not reloads, they are Cor Bon. As for over penetration, that's an overrated issue and this bullet, at 165 gr. shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    These are not reloads, they are Cor Bon. As for over penetration, that's an overrated issue and this bullet, at 165 gr. shouldn't be a problem anyway.
    He meant needing to reload the firearm. Lawyers love to hear you needed more ammo.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Links