44 Mag SD load.

This is a discussion on 44 Mag SD load. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any evidence in concerning the Cor Bon 165 gr. JHP in SD cases? I've chronographed them at 1300 fps from my 4" 629. ...

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 44 Mag SD load.

  1. #1
    Member Array Rusty Bouquett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    415

    44 Mag SD load.

    Is there any evidence in concerning the Cor Bon 165 gr. JHP in SD cases? I've chronographed them at 1300 fps from my 4" 629. That seems to me like it SHOULD be a good stopper.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array deadeye72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central Mississippi
    Posts
    4,283
    It's a .44 Mag. Anything coming out of it should work fine as a man stopper.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

  4. #3
    Member Array Rusty Bouquett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    It's a .44 Mag. Anything coming out of it should work fine as a man stopper.
    Well, that's what I'm think'n too but sometimes things are not as they seem.

  5. #4
    Member Array Beees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Irrigon,Or
    Posts
    62

    Re 44 mag self defense!!

    While there is no question about the stop ability of a 44 mag.I think it would get you in trouble fast as a self defense weapon. Having shot a lot of big[ deer/bear/and one elk]game, the 44 mag would have problems down range with dangerous over penetration.especially in a area where there were other people around. Reloads make prosecution lawyers happy. Just my 2 cents worth.

  6. #5
    Member Array smousefam5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    175
    I agree...ANY .44 should be a great stopper...even low velocity with a big hole should do the trick...seems to work with the ol' .45 ACP!

    Ultramax makes a .44 Mag lead load that has negligible recoil (for a .44 Mag!) and is spot on accurate. It is a 240 gr. round nose flat point. If I were to carry my .44 for SD I do believe that is what I would carry.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array falcon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    I agree...ANY .44 should be a great stopper...even low velocity with a big hole should do the trick...seems to work with the ol' .45 ACP!

    Ultramax makes a .44 Mag lead load that has negligible recoil (for a .44 Mag!) and is spot on accurate. It is a 240 gr. round nose flat point. If I were to carry my .44 for SD I do believe that is what I would carry.
    If you are thinking of the same Ultramax load that I am, they claim 750 fps for it. It is in their Cowboy line. I agree that it should work, and would likely be far easier on the hands than a full-power load.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

    Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cadiz,Ky
    Posts
    1,104
    240gr JHPs in mine. A HEALTHY dose of 2400 and fired up with a mag primer. The gun hardly ever leaves my home and if the BG breaks in the very least of my worries is overpenetration or reloaded ammo.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array Superhouse 15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,055

    Cor Bon

    I think it should work, too. I'ts the load I keep in the speedloaders for my 629 Mountain in the unlikely event I should need it for SD or HD. I don't know of anyone shot with it, but it looks good on paper. I see no need for a full power magnum load for SD, just makes it harder for me to practice with the gun when my hand gets beat on for 50 rounds or so.

  10. #9
    Member Array Rusty Bouquett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Beees View Post
    While there is no question about the stop ability of a 44 mag.I think it would get you in trouble fast as a self defense weapon. Having shot a lot of big[ deer/bear/and one elk]game, the 44 mag would have problems down range with dangerous over penetration.especially in a area where there were other people around. Reloads make prosecution lawyers happy. Just my 2 cents worth.
    These are not reloads, they are Cor Bon. As for over penetration, that's an overrated issue and this bullet, at 165 gr. shouldn't be a problem anyway.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Location...Location. Ohio
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    These are not reloads, they are Cor Bon. As for over penetration, that's an overrated issue and this bullet, at 165 gr. shouldn't be a problem anyway.
    He meant needing to reload the firearm. Lawyers love to hear you needed more ammo.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

    When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

    COPS Protective Services

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How do you load your .223/5.56?
    By kazzaerexys in forum Reloading
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
  2. Do you think this was a Hot Load?
    By BuckeyeEric in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: December 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
  3. Get a load of this
    By Spenser in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
  4. Rem. .357 mag. GS vs. 9mm+P GS SD load's
    By sigbear in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM
  5. My new .454 hot load
    By P95Carry in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM

Search tags for this page

165 grain 44 magnum reloading info
,
165gr 44 mag load data
,

44 mag 165 grain reloading data

,
44 magnum manstopper
,

corbon .44 magnum 165 grain is light

,

is 44 sp how effective is .223 round as a man stopper

,
load data for sierra 44mag 165gr
,
reloading data for 165 grain .44 magnum
,
reloading data for 165gr bullet in 44 magnum
,

ultramax 44 magnum

,

ultramax 44 magnum ballistics

,
would a jury have a problem with a .44 mag for sd carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.