Is bullet setback possible in rifle cartridges?

This is a discussion on Is bullet setback possible in rifle cartridges? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been several threads discussing bullet setback in handgun cartridges. I was unable to find any similar dialog regarding this phenomenon in rifle cartridges. ...

Thread: Is bullet setback possible in rifle cartridges?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Is bullet setback possible in rifle cartridges?

There have been several threads discussing bullet setback in handgun cartridges. I was unable to find any similar dialog regarding this phenomenon in rifle cartridges. Anyone want to weigh in?

2. Remove Ads

Why not?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

jfl
    Same physics apply...
    However, most rifle cases headspace on the shoulder so the crimp can be tighter.
    Think of a 30-30 with a tubular magazine !!!
    When I started handloading, I had a few problems with my .300 WinMag; had long bullets, there were taking a beating in the mag.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Moderator
    Absolutely, and I've seen it with some, well, bargain priced .223 (not mine, but a guy at the range).

Fortunately, he listened to what a couple of us told him and didn't try to shoot it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It's not normally going to be a problem on a rifle because of the design of most rifle bullets. The combination of long ogive and pointed tip doesn't create much impact or friction when feeding. Add in that most rifles carry the round directly into the chamber (no feed ramp) and it really shouldn't be much of a problem. The one place I've seen bullet set-back in a rifle is when there isn't enough crimp on the rounds in the magazine and recoil jars the bullet back into the case.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    The instance I saw it in was a round that had been chambered "several" times in an AR.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I had it happen on some .223 soft point handloads that a guy gave me. I took them to the range to use them up on paper in my Mini-14 and the bullets were not crimped tight enough so they would get pushed back into the case sometimes when chambering. Or should I say, failing to chamber in this case. I just ended up loading them one at a time by hand and shooting them up.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    OK; I will follow my handgun ammo rule with my 5.56mm too: never chamber a round a second time without firing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    OK; I will follow my handgun ammo rule with my 5.56mm too: never chamber a round a second time without firing it.
    Like Hoss said, it may not be an issue depending upon how your particular rifle chambers the round.

Of course IMO if you have a good crimp on it and your firearm is functioning properly, it shouldn't be an issue, but it's your choice.

VIP Member
    It has been an issue with some loads in my Winchester 94s (mostly 30-30), also has been an issue in my Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. These are tube feed magazines & it was caused by my poor crimping (now fixed).

I have also seen it in a couple of bolt guns.....again better crimping solved it....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    It has been an issue with some loads in my Winchester 94s (mostly 30-30), also has been an issue in my Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. These are tube feed magazines & it was caused by my poor crimping (now fixed).

I have also seen it in a couple of bolt guns.....again better crimping solved it....
    I use the Lee facory crimp die for 30/30 and you'd have to hit the bullet with a hammer to knock it back I think. It holds real well.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Absolutely, and I've seen it with some, well, bargain priced .223 (not mine, but a guy at the range).

Fortunately, he listened to what a couple of us told him and didn't try to shoot it.

Matt
    It's very common withe some of the less exspensive ammo. I tried some cheap .223 ammo and about half the box was unshootable due to "setback". I don't have this problem with the Black Hills ammo I prefer, even the reloads in the blue boxes.

Biker

Links