SA Ultra Compact Range Report

This is a discussion on SA Ultra Compact Range Report within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally made it to the range with The Ultra Compact. As some may know I am trying out the Federal EFMJ bullets. They ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA Ultra Compact Range Report

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

SA Ultra Compact Range Report

Well I finally made it to the range with The Ultra Compact. As some may know I am trying out the Federal EFMJ bullets. They seem to feed alright except for the last one in the clip. It hangs before going into battery. I can manually rerack the slide and it goes on in and everything is ok. I might have a problem with the mag spring but I'm not sure. Anyway, I put about 35-40 rounds downrange and here are the results. First from 15 yards (not feet) I went through about 4 mags worth. Then from 15 feet (not yards) I let loose with another two mags worth performing the mozambique technique. The gun is very accurate and I am pleased with the ammo. I will have to see about the FTF on the last round. I may send it to Wilson Combat and go ahead and get a total reliability package performed on it. I think that would solve any and all potential problems and I could go ahead and start carrying it as my primary. I'll let you know what I decide and invite your comments and suggestions.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Question How many rounds fired

From that Ultra Compact? Was slide well oiled at range? Are you holding the gun really firm on that last round that hangs? Did you try other Wilson Mags?

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Slide is oiled, holding gun tight, no I haven't tried other mags, just the two that came with it, both do the same thing. Wierd huh.

How about the recoil spring Assy?

If this gun has a lot of rounds fired it just might be a problem related to the recoil spring Assy.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Wilson is fantastic , i would speculate that the feed issue is possibly an extractor tension/radious issue, hard to say without seeing the pistol cycle tho . anyway Enjoy it and good luck

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for report Hank - just another thought re mag's - are mag followers absolute dead free in travel? Take mags apart and give em a clean anyways - no lube other than perhaps some dry lube but - with just follower in place - feel for any ''snagging'' of travel at top end in particular.

Might be nothing at all but - have had that prob before. And yeah - wonder if recoil ass'y checks out Ok - tho doesn't sound that is a prime candidate.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wink Reliability package may not help....

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank
    I may send it to Wilson Combat and go ahead and get a total reliability package performed on it. I think that would solve any and all potential problems and I could go ahead and start carrying it as my primary. I'll let you know what I decide and invite your comments and suggestions.
    I called them about my SA micro and they said they would do the job for $100 but since it's a sub 4" barrel, they will not warranty the work to be "glitch free." That's a telling comment on sub compact 1911s.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yea sub sized 1911s are twitchey LOL i had to replace the extractor on the better half's detonics and had similar issues , it took me about 150 rounds firing normaly less than a mag at a time tweaking the extractor to get it back to relyable . I am shure a compitent 1911 smith could have done it in 10 min or so but there isnt one in my area and i didnt want to send it out . but the feed issues described reminds me of how it was acting uppon replacement .

Never again....

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Yea sub sized 1911s are twitchey LOL i had to replace the extractor
    I've owned two sub compacts: A Para P10 and a SA "micro" both in 45 and I'll never own another. Too many issues.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Question Mine are good to go

Both my Ultra Carry 3" and Tac Pro 4" have never failed.I say their good to go.

Maybe others have problems with the smaller 1911s does that mean everyone will have the same problems?

Thumbs down Sub 4" 1911

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    Both my Ultra Carry 3" and Tac Pro 4" have never failed.I say their good to go.

Maybe others have problems with the smaller 1911s does that mean everyone will have the same problems?
    I have seen too many reports from too many different areas and situations to be 100% sure my sub 4" 1911 won't fail in a life and death encounter. Heck I even wrote the legendary LTC Jeff Cooper on the issue and he put it into one of his columns! We maintained some correspondence on the issue for several months. He is of the opinion that it's possible that in barrel lengths less than 4 inches the 1911 design itself may become "flawed." I have to agree. Very few folks in my IDPA club own them, and they urgently advised that I not purchase one. I ignored them...and I was wrong. My ParaOrd P10 was a total POS. Then when I thought that just HAD to be a fluke, I bought my SA "micro." The very same thing happened. Jam-A-Matic. I couldn't get to the bottom of any magazine I tried...even friends of mine loaned me mags and those jammed too. Life is too short to maybe shorten it further with a possibly unreliable design. Even if it's a big FAT "maybe," it's happened to me too many times to take the risk. But that's just me....

Wink Spend more get "Quality"

Just spend the money needed to buy a quality 1911.

Wink Money Ain't Everything....

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    Just spend the money needed to buy a quality 1911.
    Well, actually, I thought both ParaOrdnance AND Springfield Armory offered "quality" 1911s. They do...as long as the barrel is 4+ inches. I think the message from Wilson Combat as to how they'll do a reliability package on a micro but won't guarantee the work says it all.

Lead Moderator
    Hank, nice shooting. Looks like you are shooting a bit right on the second target , but good groups for 15 yrds and rapid fire. Hope you get the final details worked out on your gun, however I must agree with Exslodier, short 1911 's are problematic.

Not sure what that means

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Well, actually, I thought both ParaOrdnance AND Springfield Armory offered "quality" 1911s. They do...as long as the barrel is 4+ inches. I think the message from Wilson Combat as to how they'll do a reliability package on a micro but won't guarantee the work says it all.
    I think the message from Wilson Combat as to how they'll do a reliability package on a micro but won't guarantee the work says it all.
    Not sure what that means.

Well I like their Mag design but I have read where people have not gotten what they thought they were paying for with work preformed by Wilson Combat.

If Wilson Combat won't guarantee the work then Wilson Combat should just turn down the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links