Ammunition 'going off' by itself

This is a discussion on Ammunition 'going off' by itself within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a phobia to me.I've never seen a bullet fire if it's dropped and I've dropped alot them in different calibers over the years. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition 'going off' by itself

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Sounds like a phobia to me.I've never seen a bullet fire if it's dropped and I've
    dropped alot them in different calibers over the years. Maybe he ought to be
    hypnotized to get rid of this fear.If that doesn't work I'll be glad to hold on to your ammunition for you.I'll even test it.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    A cartridge will ignite if dropped .................................... in a fire
    If an unsupported cartridge does ignite the pressure build up will depend on several factors:
    - resistance of the bullet to separate (crimp)
    - thickness of the case
    - type of powder
    - temperature
    - phase of the moon

If the pressure gets to a point where the powder will deflagrate, and if the case is strong enough to stay together, then the bullet and the case will depart in opposite direction at velocities proportional to their mass; said velocity depending again on powder type and crimp.
    If the case breaks, the bullet is not going far and you'll have a fire-cracker. Of course unlucky types will manage to get a little piece of brass in their eye and be injured.

But going off just by being dropped, Ive never seen it in almost 60 years of shooting including being a firearm instructor and range officer in the Army (small arms up to 3" 1/2 rocket launcher).

As another poster said very well it can happen; I'd rather discuss the odds of Nikki Cox ... never mind, wrong forum.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Well that explains it then because never seen either of those shows. Don't watch a lot of TV. Spend a lot of time watching my ammo making sure it doesn't go maximum overdrive and start just going off
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member
    I once sent a couple of 12 gauge rounds through a cycle in the drier (forgot to take them out of a pocket of my coat). Heat, banging around, etc - no bangs.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I once sent a couple of 12 gauge rounds through a cycle in the drier (forgot to take them out of a pocket of my coat). Heat, banging around, etc - no bangs.
    I'll bet that gave you pause when you found them.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    You bet. The drier was in the garage, so I didn't hear the "clank-clank, clank-clank" of the shells being banged around until the cycle was almost over and I walked back in. The brass was quite warm, and the rims were a little worn/dented, but nothing the worse for wear.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I came home today and found one of my pets had gotten out. He is a rat, and when he gets out he usually chews on the weirdest things from electrical cords to batteries...but this time he found a new chew toy and I suppose its relevant to this thread so I will post it...

And another with the culprit in view...

Sorry I couldn't get a better macro pic of the damage, but up close you can see small toothmarks on it, and he had some shavings around his mouth and there was a pile of lead bits on the table the round was on...Now I'm just hoping he will be O.K. and not have a problem because of the lead....made me laugh though.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

"A cartridge will ignite if dropped .................................... in a fire"

When I was young and dumb we used to slip a .22, .38 Special, or 12 gauge shell into the camp fire just to startle each other.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDDIES.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "A cartridge will ignite if dropped .................................... in a fire"

When I was young and dumb we used to slip a .22, .38 Special, or 12 gauge shell into the camp fire just to startle each other.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDDIES.
    According to the Mythbusters, it's the shell that is the dangerous bit when the round goes off in the fire. In their tests, the shell ended up being the projectile, with the bullet doing much less damage.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Box o truth discussed something like that

The Box O' Truth #9 - Magazines vs. Rifle Rounds - Page 1

Let's stop for a minute and discuss "cook off".

If a round of ammunition is not surrounded by a firearm chamber, but is set off, the powder begins to burn. But since it is not contained within a chamber, it quickly pushes the primer out or pushes the bullet out of the case. The powder then just "burns" and does not "explode". In all cases today, we saw many "cooked off" rounds, but no bullets left the magazine.

MANY years ago Bob Newhart told a joke about the infinite number of monkeys sitting in front of typewriters (hey, I did say it was MANY years ago!) and they are taught to type in the beliefe that given enough monkeys typing away it was just a matter of time before all the great works of mankind would be written again by these simians. So, there are a WHOLE bunch of monitors who are watching these monkeys and checking their work. One day a monitor yells out, "HEY BOB,COME OVER HERE. We've got something here.........To be or not to be, that is the guzormaplops"!!!

OK, way back there somewhere in this thread was a reference to the monkeys and typewriters, something to do with the statistical probability..........
    Last edited by Rusty Bouquett; December 1st, 2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Clarification

The only account of a round being set off outside of being fired from a gun that I know of. Was when I was in high school one of my buddies was acting a fool and threw a live .22 cal on the sidewalk. And it did indeed "go off" the lead sat on the sidewalk but the casing popped him in the leg making it bleed. He was expelled from school for this little deal. I don't know if there are any records of it but it happened @ BHP HS in about 1973. BTW he still sports a small scar from it.

I like many here have dropped so many on the floor that it ain't funny, and so far none have went off. But I still draw up in fear when it happens and think what if?
    "For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security."
    Thomas Jefferson

Hey, give the guy a break. I can understand his feelings. I used to be afraid of walking by flowers.

Remember the old, original Star Trek shows? When the alien flowers used to shoot spores at them? As a kid, I was afraid that would happen.

Of course, I grew out of that fear when I was about 12...

Speaking of cook-off, we shot 150 rounds of .223 through my ar-15 as fast as we could, got it nice and hot and chambered a live round. Waited for it to cook off. It never did. A case of beer later and the barrel was cool, took the round out and the brass just looked like it had been tarnished or something.

Go here and have your friend watch the video clip in the red oval on the home page.
    SAAMI | Home
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links