Unusual test shoot?

This is a discussion on Unusual test shoot? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a year ago I started this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-bathtub.html So here's another one that is similar........ I just did an informal test shoot on a ...

Thread: Unusual test shoot?

VIP Member

Unusual test shoot?

About a year ago I started this thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-bathtub.html

So here's another one that is similar........ I just did an informal test shoot on a dead cow. Okay, I don't want anyone to think I'm weird, sadistic, or disrespectful because I'm not. For the record, I didn't even have anything to do with the dead Razorback on my avatar.

This cow died yesterday, a total loss for me. This morning I thought about the opportunity for doing this test shoot, and at least from her demise we might learn a little something. I guess it's sort of like I donated the cow's body to science.

The cow probably weighs close to 1000 lbs, not emaciated at all, rigor mortis had set in. Because of the thickness of a cow's body there are many limited areas that you could expect a handgun bullet to penetrate.

I decided to take some close shots at the part of the lower leg that contains the metatarsus bone. This is a large bone above the "ankle" on the lower part of the rear leg. This part is close to a 3 inch diameter and mostly bone, skin, tendons, etc, not much muscle. Also cow leg bones are tough too, consider that they have to carry quite a bit of weight.

I fired one shot each of FMJ of a 9mm, .40 cal, .45 cal, and a .223. The three pistol rounds fired directly toward the center mass of the leg, never exited, though they severely shattered the bone and almost made it completely through. The .223 fired completely through with no apparent problem.

My next test was in the upper part of the hind leg, and this shot was made in a more deeply muscled area with no nearby bone involved. I didn't expect the handguns to penetrate here so I only used the .223. In this leg area about 7 inches thick it did not penetrate, though it penetrated in a thinner area that was about 4 inches thick.

My last test was with a 9mm firing though about 2 inches of muscle (no bone), the bullet penetrated completely and embedded itself in about 6 inches of soft ground.

I didn't want to post any pictures, not really anything to see. BTW I just did these few test shots and had no intentions of using this cow as some sort of target for excessive shooting. UGH
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

" Okay, I don't want anyone to think I'm weird, sadistic"
    I'm really trying not to think that way but it's not working!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    " Okay, I don't want anyone to think I'm weird, sadistic"
    I'm really trying not to think that way but it's not working!!
    Did I mention that I was wearing a tuxedo and cowboy hat during the test?

Seriously, I don't really hunt anymore, but used to when we hunted ducks, squirrels, rabbits, deer, etc, we usually noted shot concentration, penetration, organs struck, bullet deformation etc. when we dressed them. Those subtle observations made us better, more knowledgeable hunters.

Today I saw some pretty impressive results of handgun rounds on a large/stoutly built mammal, one much tougher than any human body. The resulting penetration and bone damage were sobering reminders of the awesome power that can so easily be taken for granted.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I shot some dead pigs on a hog farm with a colt python once,the entry hole was just like the ones on paper and I wasn't crawling in the pit to look for an exit hole
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Semi interesting information. Sounds like you learned something from it.
    I would have loved to hear you say you fired some Gold Dots or Tap at various locations and the results.
    If I got it right you used FMJ bullets which should give max penetration. Great if you are shooting a bear or elephant.
    Would love to read what the results meant to you as far as self defense bullets are concerned.
    Thanks for shairing the info and best wishes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Semi interesting information. Sounds like you learned something from it.
    I would have loved to hear you say you fired some Gold Dots or Tap at various locations and the results.
    If I got it right you used FMJ bullets which should give max penetration. Great if you are shooting a bear or elephant.
    Would love to read what the results meant to you as far as self defense bullets are concerned.
    Thanks for shairing the info and best wishes.
    At the time, FMJ was the only thing I had that was common to all 4 calibers and I wanted the little test to be somewhat on a level playing field, all with the same bullet type. Also I fairly well expected that the FMJ would penetrate the most, and any other bullet makeup would be less.

I'd like to recover the 3 FMJ, that didn't penetrate the leg bone, and have a look at them, though I expect them to be only a little blunt-like. I would like to repeat something like this again with a variety of SD ammo and recover them for comparison.

I was impressed with the FMJ shattering the bone as it did. I didn't dissect the leg afterwards but I could easily feel the loose bone pieces. As expected no giant exit holes.

I'll get a chance to do it again one day, in the meantime I'll be sure to stow away a variety of bullet types and be more prepared.

Shoot it again, it may not be dead enough yet.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The saying is "don't beat a dead horse" ...
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Flashbacks of the movie "Me, Myself and Irene" are hitting.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links