Defensive Carry banner

110gr. Hydrashok .38 special JHP?

8K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  AZ Desertrat 
#1 ·
What are everyone's thought's here about this ammo for defense? I carry this in my colt's and my S&W airweight centennial as theses gun are not +p rated. Is this a good round for self defense?

I must admit I've carried the old 158gr. LSWC HP in my colt cobra for defensive purposes only as its supposed to be the best .38 special round there is for defense. My reasoning being that if I ever needed the gun for defense god forbid that the 1-6 rounds fried wouldn't hurt the gun. But its been my understanding that while practicing with standard pressure ammo and loading +p "for social purposes" has been a common practice its not a good idea.

If anyone here knows of any better standard pressure .38 special defensive rounds please fill me in thanks.

#4 ·
Better

Look at his place:

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

They have the best non +p loads available as far as power and expansion. The 110gr Hydra Shok, the 110gr Silvertip, The 110gr Remington SJHP, and the 80gr Glaser. I see Buffalo Bore makes a 158gr LSWCHP, but I've never seen it or shot it or tried it myself. It's unavailable in my area, have to order some one day. There are plenty of people who use +p in limited amounts with no problem, I sometimes do, but I have a couple of guns I don't shoot any +p in. Your choice, it's up to you. I can find the Hydra Shok a lot easier than the other loads in my area. I have a buch of Nyclad 125gr HP in standard pressure for those few guns I have that I don't shoot +p in. I wish Federal would start making it again. Ammunitiontogo has some Fiocchi loads with the XTP bullet in non +p. I'm not a fan of the XTP, I think it underexpands in the more powerful loads and I would expect zero expansion in the .38. I'm also not a fan of shooting target wadcutters for SD, too low powered. Some get less than 700FPS in a snub.

In case you ask, I like Cor Bon and Remington Gold Saber in +p snubbie loads. I tried the 135gr Gold Dot and I don't see what the big deal is. I think the 110gr DPX under preformed from the snubbies I tried them in. In bigger .38s it works better. The 158gr LSWCHP+P is more controllable in the bigger guns than the snubbies, too.

#7 ·
Look at his place:

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

I see Buffalo Bore makes a 158gr LSWCHP, but I've never seen it or shot it or tried it myself. It's unavailable in my area, have to order some one day.
Buffalo Bore also make a non +p 125 grain that uses the Speer gold Dot Hollow Point. They claim 12 inch penetration out of snubbies. That works for me!

#5 ·
i carry the 38 sp 147 grain +p+ tactical hydra-shok in my 1980's model 60 S&W. it is my "bug" on the job and this is issue ammo for the wheel guns. don't know if you can find the +p+ hydra-skok on the open market.

it don't matter if the gun is rated for it or not. you only going to shoot five times and the gun will hold up. it is not ammo to take to the range and practice. but i have seen some at the office shoot it during "q" days at the range in old j-frames, and they hold up time after time. not me i use 148 gr wad cutters.

bottle line up front, is it is good ammo to carry and five to ten rounds when "it hit the fan", your gun will be ok.

#6 ·
I just ordered two boxes of Hornaday's new 38 special non +P critical defense ammo for my older guns. I have older federal Non +P 125 nyclads but I would like to shoot what I carry. If that don't work I ordered fullwadcutters for both. AmmunitionToGo has the non +P ammuniton.

#12 ·
If you're in a contest, then study the charts, experiment with water jugs and phone books, and test your sidearm.
If you get an attempted mugging, your skill, wit, muscle memory, control of adrenal flow, and available sidearm will/may determine the outcome. What caliber, grain, brand won't matter at that point...just hit your target.
OMO,YMV (I like Speer Gold Dots.)

Stay armed...remember CoM...stay safe!

#13 ·
I don't think the performance of the Hydrashok justifies the cost. For a premium round, there are better choices in most other calibers. For the .38 I can't fault the 158 grain offerings.

For the penetration numbers most .38 rounds are not going to deform/expand. 12 inches is not a great number under those conditions but you are kind of limited by the nature of the cartridge.

#14 ·
What's the consensus about standard pressure .38 full metal jacket for CC or SD?
Generally not good.

You want a round that expands and dumps its energy into the target. Too much penetration becomes a hazard if other people are around and the FMJ pistol round bullet isn't as effective as an FMJ rifle round because of the low velocity.

Yes, it can and has worked and it will continue to do so, but its not the best tool for the job. There are much better bullets out there.Since a handgun is a compromise anyway, there is no sense in using less that the best design.

#15 ·
I have used them for carry on occasion, and they shoot great....all the other reports I read about them are positive. I reload 110 gr. JHP for defense....and use many different brands.....the 110 is a good weight to use in a snubbie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.