Bad ammo...?

This is a discussion on Bad ammo...? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Yoda Do you use a mag loader ? What type? How long have you been carrying these rounds in the magazine? Unloaded/Reloaded ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad ammo...?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Do you use a mag loader ? What type?

How long have you been carrying these rounds in the magazine?

Unloaded/Reloaded from/to the mag before?

Check your other mags as well.

New/stiff springs?
    Yes I use a mag loader, its the one that comes with the XD. When I use it though, it doesn't touch it where the dent is. It touches near the bottom of the round. I've been carrying them for about 3 weeks... I've unloaded and reloaded em a few times, and left it that way over night. The springs are still kina new, but not real stiff anymore.
    "It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you." -Quote from Batman Begins

Psalms 55:22 -"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall."

2. Remove Ads

I see you live in Indiana. Have you had the your magazine out in the cold? Extreme cold may cause a slight vacuum inside the round causing the brass to collapse. I know we've had a couple good cold spells over the last month. Try loading a mag with good rounds from the same box and set them outside when it's cold and see what happens. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen extreme cold collapse everything from steel drums to railroad tanker cars to 18 wheel tankers. Won't hurt to try and won't cost you anything. If you don't want to set them outside try the freezer.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    There is no way that just being loaded into a magazine or using a loader did that to your ammo. Magazine spring pressure sure never did that.
    I'm calling it factory defective ammunition.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I had this happen to some speer gold-dots one time. Call up the manufacturer I did and got free ammo

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There is no way that just being loaded into a magazine or using a loader did that to your ammo. Magazine spring pressure sure never did that.
    I'm calling it factory defective ammunition.
    The brass was not deformed before he placed them in the mag. Even if they were defective they would not autonomously deform without some outside force acting on it. There was a pressure or force differential to cause the brass deformation, although the brass could have been thin or weak as a contributor. Since he has cycled them in/out a few times then fatigue could come into play.

I would be surprised if heat cold differentials caused it but that is possible. The deformation needs to be reproduced in order to find the true cause.

I am curious to know what the manufacturer says, although they would likely never admit a defect.

I'd love to do failure analysis in our lab on this but would need the bad rounds, unused rounds from the same box and the mag loader and mag for testing.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links