Bad ammo...?

This is a discussion on Bad ammo...? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a XDSC .40 that I carry regularly. I unloaded the mag today just because I could, and I found that almost all of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad ammo...?

Question Bad ammo...?

I have a XDSC .40 that I carry regularly. I unloaded the mag today just because I could, and I found that almost all of the rounds in it were "dented" all the way around in the middle. I checked and its not where the speedloader touches it either, that pushes lower on it... but it seems that nothing touches it where its dented. They're 135 grain .40 Federal Hydra-Shocks. Are these rounds still good to carry even though they're dented? Are they defective now? Why are they dented? Any input is appreciated. Thanx (the dented one is on the left thats been in the mag. The one on the right is a fresh one right outta the box.)
    Attached Images
    "It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you." -Quote from Batman Begins

Psalms 55:22 -"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Have they been chambered?

I would not use them now until someone who knows something weighs inn.

the .40 S&W round is a much higher pressure round than .45 ACp or 9mm. You might get a kabloom with a weak portion of the case
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'd love to help but that is perplexing. In looking at your photographs it almost appears to be a factory cannelure except for the fact that it's entirely too extreme. They were completely free of the indention before you loaded them?

I've not seen ammunition behave in that fashion before. A really long shot guess is that the brass was improperly processed and is too "soft", a condition which could induce a catastrophic failure if the ammunition was fired.

Send the manufacturer an email with your photos and see what develops.

Senior Moderator
    That's a new one on me too.
    Never seen anything like it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Are you sure that came from the same box,that looks like a 357 sig round,a357 sig is basically a 40 cal that is necked down to a 9mm at the front.after closer look I could be wrong,but I have never seen anything like that,even reloading I have never seen a round do that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can't think of any way your gun could have caused this, it's too perfect. The only thing I can remotely think might cause this is setback, but I have never seen it do that to the brass. I've seen the brass get crimped a little right behind the bullet from setback but nothing like the perfect ring you have all the way around. Are you sure it wasn't like that when you loaded into the mag? It looks like a manufacturing issue.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

They've never been chambered, and they looked just like the good un-dented one before I loaded it into the mag. & I'm 100% positive that it wasn't dented or anything, it looked just like the good one. So do you think the brass is to soft then and that its a manufacturing issue?

I'll have to email the manufacturer later today...
    "It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you." -Quote from Batman Begins

Psalms 55:22 -"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall."

I'm lost like the others, but I'd say absolutely positively do not fire it, much less carry it, until you hear from the manufacturer.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Are you sure that came from the same box,that looks like a 357 sig round,a357 sig is basically a 40 cal that is necked down to a 9mm at the front.after closer look I could be wrong,but I have never seen anything like that,even reloading I have never seen a round do that

not a .357 sig, the projectiles are the same size in the pic.

does the dents go all the way around case? it looks like they were ran through a pipe cutter. I have never seen anything like that, all i can say is Wow! and don't shoot those that look like that

Senior Moderator
    Let us now what Fedearl says about them
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

That is really weird. Like Duk, it looks like someone took a .357Sig and expanded it to fit a .40 cal piece of lead.

I can't see how this could happen just sitting in a magazine. With no pressure on the casing, and being brass, it doesn't seem posssible for it to collapse like that unless it was placed into a very high pressure situation, and still that would be a far far stretch.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Did you dip them in liquid nitrogen? It looks like one of those Bill Nye experiments where they dunk a 55 gallon steel drum in liquid nitrogen.

I’m not sure but I believe the dent all the way around is the cannelure and is to prevent bullet setback. I'm no expert but I seem to recall reading about this somewhere.

Found it, It was here on DC
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...drashocks.html
    Last edited by Craiger; December 10th, 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Found link
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I dipose of it, or make sure primer and all is out and then send the casing to the Manufacturer after calling them....

I sure wouldn't fire it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunter828 View Post
    I have a XDSC .40 that I carry regularly. I unloaded the mag today just because I could, and I found that almost all of the rounds in it were "dented" all the way around in the middle. I checked and its not where the speedloader touches it either, that pushes lower on it... but it seems that nothing touches it where its dented. They're 135 grain .40 Federal Hydra-Shocks. Are these rounds still good to carry even though they're dented? Are they defective now? Why are they dented? Any input is appreciated. Thanx (the dented one is on the left thats been in the mag. The one on the right is a fresh one right outta the box.)
    Do you use a mag loader ? What type?

How long have you been carrying these rounds in the magazine?

Unloaded/Reloaded from/to the mag before?

Check your other mags as well.

New/stiff springs?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links