.40 DPX or HST?

.40 DPX or HST?

This is a discussion on .40 DPX or HST? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious if anyone has had any experience with both? I am deciding on carry ammo for my G23, and want opinions. I know both are ...

Thread: .40 DPX or HST?

.40 DPX or HST?

Curious if anyone has had any experience with both? I am deciding on carry ammo for my G23, and want opinions. I know both are very well built, and know to shoot each through my gun to check accuracy and reliability. I really like the pics I have seen of the expanded HST but have not seen much on the DPX loads. Thanks for the help.

Run a search here on Corbon DPX.
    Much has been posted toward it including pics too.
    Even more can be found with relative ease via Google or what ever your favorite search engine might be.

- Janq runs DPX in both .45 and 9mm
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Either one is good, IMO, carry the one that shoots best for you.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    DPX

I have seen a demo with the DPX that sold me. It is a great round. The all copper bullet has some solid advantages of the lead core/copper jacket design.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    DPX. Both are really good, but I feel the DPX is the better of the two.

DPX is my ammo of choice.....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I was surprised to see just how big the hollow point is on the DPX.

Both can be hard to find, at least they are for me. I get HST at my local "cop shop".

I'd go with the Corbon DPX in 9mm and 40 S&W, if both are easy to find and getting resupplied isn't an issue. I have HST for my 45 ACP's because I finally found a local supplier, and it's cheaper than Corbon and the +P's seem to work pretty good.

I remember having to show ID back in the Black Talon days to buy Black Talons for my personally owned guns. Box was marked, "LEO ONLY". I just hope the local "cop shop" keeps it in stock, if they have to stop selling it to non-LEO's. They stopped selling the Black Talons because they couldn't sell enough of them to LEO's for their personally owned guns to make stocking the stuff worthwhile.

I'm a LEO, but I think ammo available to a LEO should be available to a non-LEO as well.

Biker

I have been told to see what the LEOS in your area use and purchase it if it is available to non-LEOS. I guess the logic behind this is if you do have to use your sidearm in self-defense using what they use gives a lawyer one less thing to use against you. Q:" What type of ammunition did you use in " defending yourself" against my client.A:" I used brand x". Q:"What led you to choose that type of ammunition." A:"It's what local law enforcement uses in their firearms." " I believe if it is good enough for law enforcement to use to defend themselves, then civilians should take that into consideration when choosing ammunition for their firearms." I hope I never have to use that logic in real life.

One of my good LEO buddies uses only Speer Gold Dot. I do like that stuff.

Well I would and have gone with the HST... I can buy 50rds for less than I can get 20 rds of DPX for.

Now the Dpx is good ( very good) but the HST is just as good.. IMHO.

I shot a doe with my G35 ( 40) with HST in 155gr the bullet went all the way though the chest cavity and out the other side at a very steep angle. The damge was "very" good.

Ill stick with the HST's..

DRT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1daddytobe View Post
    One of my good LEO buddies uses only Speer Gold Dot. I do like that stuff.
    HST, Ranger T, and DPX all offer superior terminal ballistics vs Gold Dot after ALL intermediate barriers except laminated safety glass. I'm much more likely to encounter someone wearing a heavy coat than having to shoot through a windshield at an on-coming car.

DPX is too expensive. I like to run at least 250 rounds to function test with a SD round in my weapon. With DPX that equates to more than $350. I can buy a new glock at LEO price for $400.

Another thing that I dont like is that more than one individual who've chronographed DPX ammo have measured large shot-to-shot velocity variation. This does not give me a feeling of high quality.

Make mine HST or Ranger T.

HST for me, my dad has shot some corbon (not of the DPX variety though) and had jacket seperation on our test (water and phonebook stuff) so i didnt ever bother with them. i like my HST, its accurate, and BIG

VIP Member
    I run HST's in my .45 because the DPX's won't feed reliably in my particular 1911. So I'd try the DPX's first in your .40 and if there's no problem go with them. HST's are really good... DPX's are outstanding!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links