Federal HST at Cabela's??

This is a discussion on Federal HST at Cabela's?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw some Federal .40 ammo for sale in a Cabela's flyer that looked like a good deal. I ran out there last night and ...

Thread: Federal HST at Cabela's??

Federal HST at Cabela's??

I saw some Federal .40 ammo for sale in a Cabela's flyer that looked like a good deal. I ran out there last night and bought a box. It said in the flyer that this was surplus LE ammo. The number on the box is "XM40HB". After getting home last night and looking on the internet and a copy of Guns and Ammo, Personal Defense magazine, it appears that this may be the HST ammo. Does anyone know if that is correct for sure? If it is, I will go get more as it is about $23 for a box of 50 rounds.
    Thanks for any info, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    That should be HST. I think that that particular number denotes a 155gr loading.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

It is a 155gr round.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

not to steal the thread ... but how "different" is 155 vs 165 vs 180 grain? I understand heavier bullet = more recoil and better penetration? Is that correct?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

My HST ammo in 9mm has P9HST and in 45 P45HST
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Generally speaking the heavier bullet = a bigger push. Lighter bullet = snappier muzzle rise. This is subjective and very platform dependent. The heavier bullets do tend to penetrate deeper. Weather or not that is "better" depends on your ballistic needs. All things being equal, I continually remind myself that ALL handguns are underpowered and excel only as a weapon of convenience. If you are knowingly going into a fight, take a rifle.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    not to steal the thread ... but how "different" is 155 vs 165 vs 180 grain? I understand heavier bullet = more recoil and better penetration? Is that correct?
    Not necessarily,a lighter bullet will travel faster,I believe a heavier bullet may hit harder due to a heavier mass but impact isn't what kills,penetration and hits on vital organs is the key,if you shoot a 155 grn better than a 180 grn bullet then shoot the 155 OMO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

FWIW, my agency has used the Federal 155gr load for a long time. It performs extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Not necessarily,a lighter bullet will travel faster,I believe a heavier bullet may hit harder due to a heavier mass but impact isn't what kills,penetration and hits on vital organs is the key,if you shoot a 155 grn better than a 180 grn bullet then shoot the 155 OMO

Thanks for the info. I certainly am no expert on ammo, but it seems to me that a lot of the LE ammo tends to be around the 155gr range. There must be a reason. As stated, it seems that being lighter, it would travel faster and thus penetrate deeper. With a deeper wound channel, it seems that there would more damage and more likely hood of hitting vital organs. This is the way it seems to me anyway.

Thanks again for the info, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

The 180 gr rounds have more momentum which should equal more penetration.

HST testing

I've done 9mm HST testing in gel and will not use the lighter 124gr. for carry ammo. I will only use the 147gr in 9mm.

The .40S&W HST was tested by the ATK law enforcement Wood Ballistic Workshop. It is sponsored by Federal but uses LEO and competitor's products to determine function. The only thing I found is Federal is going to put it's BEST round in the test. I found no testing of the lighter 124gr 9mm but they did test the 147gr in 9mm. When I did my testing I found the lighter round did not perform nearly as well.

Google for it and use the Aurora test as it has some reviews of the .40 HST in 180gr. They did NOT use the lighter round. I can only guess this is because it would not perform as well as the 180gr round.

Only you can test it to make sure!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My HST ammo in 9mm has P9HST and in 45 P45HST
    my 40SW box of it is P40HST3 and my 45 is P45HST1 (of the +P variety)

Links