Review Buffalo Bore 38 special

This is a discussion on Review Buffalo Bore 38 special within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, in preperation for taking my CCW class starting Monday, I decided to get in some practice today. Since its December in Michigan I can't ...

Thread: Review Buffalo Bore 38 special

Review Buffalo Bore 38 special

OK, in preperation for taking my CCW class starting Monday, I decided to get in some practice today.
    Since its December in Michigan I can't use my normal practice site, my Mother's back 12 acres. Well I could but it would be awfully cold and wet. So off to an indoor range.
    Got there just before they opened at 10 AM. I was running late so I didn't unload my PD ammo from the gun. While I was waiting for the place to open I decided to unload the gun. I have never shot here before so I didn't know if bringing a loaded gun in was OK or not.
    I put the PD rounds in my range bag and went in to shoot.

I loaded up with practice ammo. This is winchester WB 38 special 130 grain FMJ.

Surprisinly I had a FTF in the first or second load. This is winchester white box 38 special 130 grain FMJ. Should I write them and see if they want the round for QC? Do they do anything if you get a bad round normally?

Anyway back to topic, I was almost done, and had a few minutes left on my time and I saw that there was some loose ammo in the bag, forgetting that this was the PD ammo I put in there just a half hour ago, I thought it was some other hollowpoints that I don't use for PD any more. So I load up the rounds and fire.

The ammo I loaded is the 38 special non +p 125 grain speer gold dot item 20E.

Product Line Listing

All I can say is HOLY COW! I have never shot +p out of this gun, but if it's hotter than this stuff I can see what they mean about harder to make good quick follow up shots!

There was a NOTICABLE different in recoil with this stuff. Not uncomfortable, but considering I never understood all the talk about the snub nose's being harder to shoot because of recoil, this was the first time I ever felt the recoil was really noticable.

Supposedly the Buffalo Bore heavy 38 non +p is made to get maximum power from the shorter barrel, without getting into the +p pressures.

IF recoil equates to stopping power, then this stuff has to be better than the standard stuff I have shot before!

Again, don't think that I am saying the recoil is to much, but is is more than I am used to seeing out of this gun.

I think I am feeling really good about chosing this for my carry ammo. Buffalo Bore really does deliver on their claims to get the most out of the short barrels using this ammo. It just plain FEELS like it has more punch. Plus the group I shot with this ammo was one of the best of the day!

2. Remove Ads

Good groups, with a more "powerful" load, that is great! And yes, +p's out of a snubbie really do kick hard.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Now we know why the movie gunfighters gun fighters always wore those gloves.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yeah, my experience with BB stuff is that it is H-O-T.

Good stuff :)
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Links