LE Federal HST 230 gr. +P for carry...

This is a discussion on LE Federal HST 230 gr. +P for carry... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see your code name is "glock 45". I don't know which "glock 45" you intend to carry but the 230gr +P HST is pretty ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LE Federal HST 230 gr. +P for carry...

I see your code name is "glock 45". I don't know which "glock 45" you intend to carry but the 230gr +P HST is pretty hot and can be difficult to control out of a G36. [That's what my G36 is stoked with]. I'm going back to the standard pressure HST when the +Ps are gone.

I would worry more about hitting your target than the "Law Enforcement Only" logo.

2. Remove Ads

Smile

I have a G36. I have tried the +p flavors in Federal tactical and Ranger 230 grainers. They worked. But, for me the recoil was a little bit more then I wanted. I went back to standard pressure 230 grain. I use the Ranger, Gold Dot, HST or Black Hills. Depending on price and availability.
    I do not full under gunned with them and I have better control and fast follow up. Try some +P's out like I did. You will know what is best for you and your gun.

John!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    I see your code name is "glock 45". I don't know which "glock 45" you intend to carry but the 230gr +P HST is pretty hot and can be difficult to control out of a G36. [That's what my G36 is stoked with]. I'm going back to the standard pressure HST when the +Ps are gone.

I would worry more about hitting your target than the "Law Enforcement Only" logo.
    I have a G21SF and a G30SF. I carry the G30SF daily.
    I just went to ammunitiontogo.com and the +p flavor of the HST is gone from the catalog... I think non +p will probably work just as well... I had not shot any +p from my G30SF so I bought them to try it out...
    I do like the concept of a hotter load, just because the 230 gr. .45 bullet is a slow round and does not have a flat trajectory. Mostly a performance thing... But then again, in an SD shooting you are probably looking at 7-10 yards tops... I don't see anybody justifiying and SD shooting at 25-30 yards...

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    I wouldn't be so concerned with the "Law Enforcement" label rather than the +P aspect. From the little I've read on ballistics, the .45 ACP round in it's 'non-P' variant has more than enough stopping power (perhaps a different story with 9mm and 40SW). :
    Yep. I just ordered some HST's for my Ultra Carry .45 and didn't bother with the +P. I myself have no doubt that a non +P is going to do a number on whomever is unlucky enough to receive one. 9mm or 40SW not so much.
    As far as using (for LE) HST's for self defense....because HST's are such a bad aaa round and so extremely deadly, they should just be used by LEO's. Us civilians really should only be using rounds that are just sort of deadly.
    Now that I think about it though, probably everyone on this forum, like me never wants to ever have to fire their weapon in a situation. But if I should ever be put in a situation where I have to defend my life, or the life of another, I want to make sure I'm using an very effective round. I think I'll keep my HST's in 9mm, 40SW and .45's.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member
    I carry the standard velocity HSTs in my 1911s, they'll do the job if I do my job.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

How could they fault you for using the same ammo the police use? Police use it for a reason - because it's effective and reliable. How could they criticize, you carry it for the same reasons the LEO's do.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    How could they fault you for using the same ammo the police use? Police use it for a reason - because it's effective and reliable. How could they criticize, you carry it for the same reasons the LEO's do.
    It's easy for them.....if they are Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by AEA View Post
    It's easy for them.....if they are Democrats!
    Come on now, no need to go there
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links