Is CorBon really worth it? - Page 2

Is CorBon really worth it?

This is a discussion on Is CorBon really worth it? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan So your saying only corbon is the only worthy round for defense? I think he made it pretty clear ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    So your saying only corbon is the only worthy round for defense?
    I think he made it pretty clear that FOR HIS HIM AND HIS GUN, it worked the best along with the Federal HST...unless I missed something.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I like it. But it's not a magic bullet

For the price of one box of CorBon DPX for my .357SIG I could get a box of Winchester Ranger Talons, which I believe as does the USSS, FBI, and Sky Marshals is the best self defense round available. Unless those DPX's are depleted uranium, I'm not gonna spend the money on 'em.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I never shot any nor do I plan too. IMO there are enough other rounds out there that cost a lot less and will get the job done.

imo,it is best to use the round your gun fires the best with.i use federal hst 147gr for my 9mm they function great. the federal hst hp also work great in my springfield G.I. 1911

don't worry so much about the claims the ammo makes on the box,just get what works best in your gun and goes bang every time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Is there any chronograph and / or ballistic gelatin data showing how Cor-Bon DPX in .38 Spl., 110 gr. +P compares to 158 gr. LSWCHP +P?

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    So your saying only corbon is the only worthy round for defense?
    Uh, no. I'm saying the best round is the one that both cycles perfectly and meets one's goals for power/penetration/price. Who's to say a given round meets some internet poster's needs, except that person?

My comment about $32 was to suggest that a perfect feeding round is required, and to imply that no round's worth it if it doesn't do that in your specific gun. To say "CorBon's the right choice" is about as worthwhile as saying "blue is the best color." Maybe it is ... and maybe it isn't, given the specific gun and priority mix in question.

For me, given my specific goals and comfort level, DT JHP 124gr 9mm works for me, but only because it cycles perfectly in MY guns, has sufficient power and penetration to suit the situations I feel I need to prepare for, and the price/availability is acceptable to me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well I'd have to say since all rounds so far have fed perfect into my glock, then I'm a guessing I'm just paying for the name corbon. Think I'll stick with the Winchester that costs less, performs just fine, and if needed obviously will take someone out.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Actually I think I am done with corbon. I had a 380 auto loaded into my Ruger LCP, and went to unchamber the round and low and behold when I yanked it back, the bullet was still in the chamber and the cartridge flew out with gun powder all over my couch! This is the second bullet of corbon to do that and for the price of them, I'd have to say for sure I do not think they are worth it.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

I have used Cor-Bon for the past 20 years and have never had a problem.

They are one of the few ammo makers that really back up their velocity claims in my opinion.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Seriously, I wonder if your LCP had a headspace problem? This indicates that the bullet was so far shoved into the chamber, that it lodged in the rifling of the pistol. It should have stopped at the case mouth. If the chamber is cut too deep, it might let the bullet be grabbed by the lands of the rifling. Just a thought, might check it out further.

Note: if this is the case then the case pressures will spike rather quickly during firing. The bullet should NOT be yanked from the cartridge though under normal circumstances. I'd seriously check this out. You don't want it to go ka-boom because of poor headspacing in the breech (chamber).
    Last edited by Darth AkSarBen; December 30th, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Addendum:
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

I do not like Corbon at all. In fact, I would say I hate Corbon ammo.

Not long after I bought the Glock 23 that I carry every day, I bought two boxes of Corbon ammo to run through it because of the reputation that Corbon is supposed to have, Massad Ayoob talks glowingly about it.

Out of the two boxes I had a grand total of 17 misfires. All were due I believe to hard primers. I ran all the misfires through the gun a second time and they went off. I have never, not once, had a misfire or any other malfunction of any type with the G23 with any and all other types of ammo. I have put a lot of stuff through this G23 and that Corbon crap was the only ammo that has given me a problem of any kind.

I will never buy any Corbon ammo nor will I accept it if it is offered to me for free.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I do not care much for Corbon ammo, but I am a HUGE fan of the DPX bullet. I carry the DPX loadings from Taurus everywhere I go. They are standard velocity and have never failed to function properly in my firearms. I dont shoot all that many of them because of the cost factor,but I can duplicate the loading using the 185gr grain "sporting" bullets from Nosler. Also a great performer for those that want to carry their own "home rolled" ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I have used Cor-Bon for the past 20 years and have never had a problem.

They are one of the few ammo makers that really back up their velocity claims in my opinion.....
    I use Cor Bon DXP in all my Sigs, except the 22. I also use it in my S&W 38. In my 45 I use it or the Tarus, it also has the Barnes solid copper bullet in it. If I have problems finding the DPX rounds.

I do not consider the price on the SD rounds I carry. My life is worth more than 30 bucks to me, and I do not use it for all my range work. So cost is not a major concern. The regular Cor Bon is not the same as their DPX rounds. And I have never had a problem with them.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    For the price of one box of CorBon DPX for my .357SIG I could get a box of Winchester Ranger Talons, which I believe as does the USSS, FBI, and Sky Marshals is the best self defense round available.

The Winchester Ranger Talon is, in my opinion, an excellent round. It is not, however, the round used by the USSS and the Federal Air Marshals. I am not sure what the current issued .357Sig round is for the Bureau.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links