Is CorBon really worth it?

This is a discussion on Is CorBon really worth it? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually just shoot target ammo out of my Glock 21 at the range, but decided to get a couple boxes of Cor Bon 185 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is CorBon really worth it?

Is CorBon really worth it?

I usually just shoot target ammo out of my Glock 21 at the range, but decided to get a couple boxes of Cor Bon 185 gr. Almost crapped when I seen the price on them but got them anyways. Does anyone here really think this ammo is really worth all the extra money. 20 rounds cost around $25! I shot Winchester Self Defense rounds that I seemed to get similar performance and they only cost around $18 for 50 rounds!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

Having never tried it I can't speak with aurhority on the subject but I tend to doubt that that extra money spent on the Cor Bon is all that cost effective.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I tried it in 45 ACP and had 3 mis-fires out of one expensive box. Only time it's ever happened in this pistol. Will never try it again.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    For about $25 you can get a box of 50 Federal HSTs or Winchester Ranger T-Series. Both of which are phenomenal SD rounds.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I shot the Cor-Bon powerball ammo in both my .40 SW and my .380 and wow what a difference. So I would say that COR-Bon may not have as much impact on the outcome of the .40 SW encounter, but it will definately have an impact on the lower powered .380.
    Draw once, Fire twice!

Their DPX line is top notch in my book!

Where is the cheapest place online to order ammo? The prices for the CorBon on ammunitiontogo.com is the same price I can get them at Cabelas. I do however like the prices on the HST on that site.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I use it in my Glock 19, only for carry ammo.....but all I know is....it works....it feeds thru...no problems. Way too expensive for plincking........
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    Does anyone here really think this ammo is really worth all the extra money.
    At the range? No.

As carry ammo, if it's the most-reliable stuff for your specific gun? Only if your life is worth the $32 difference over ammo that doesn't cycle or perform as well.

For me, the results of an exhaustive search for the absolutely smoothest feeding and most-reliable rounds for my CZ P-01 9mm semi-auto were that two rounds worked well, noticeably better than all others: DoubleTap JHP Gold Dot 124gr 9mm, and Federal HydraShok Tactical JHP 124gr 9mm. There are a couple other rounds out there in a similar velocity/lb-ft performance class, but none (that I've found so far) that perform nearly as well in my specific gun. In my case, it's not a matter of $32 per range session, or $32 for my life. Above a certain level of performance, it's a matter of what feeds best ... and what doesn't. The DT's do, and that's what I carry.

Now, as for range practice, I've found that a number of items work passably well. I've got a couple thousand reloads from 10yrs ago that work just fine, as do the "yellow box" UMC FMJ stuff. Those are plenty good for the bulk of range work, supplemented by the good stuff.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    I usually just shoot target ammo out of my Glock 21 at the range, but decided to get a couple boxes of Cor Bon 185 gr. Almost crapped when I seen the price on them but got them anyways. Does anyone here really think this ammo is really worth all the extra money. 20 rounds cost around $25! I shot Winchester Self Defense rounds that I seemed to get similar performance and they only cost around $18 for 50 rounds!
    Corbon is rated at +P so std loaded rounds aren't "equivalent" in performance.

That said, the DPX product line (solid copper bullets) is a real world performer. Barnes has been producing solid copper hunting bullets for a long time and they are proven in the field. The DPX bullets are also modeled after the "black talon" series from Winchester (Ranger SXT stuff too) for expansion and petaling of the round.

I did a lot of research and the DPX in 9mm is perfect for compact 9's with short barrels. The penetration is just about perfect for the human torso as the energy should be fully transferred inside the body cavity, the round should obtain max expansion, and the round should not exit or pass through with a COM hit.

With the longer barrels, the round gets quite fast and there is a danger of overpenetration. If I carried a std length sidearm I would go with something else if I could.

An added bonus for those of us in the "California Condor range" is that the DPX is all copper so there is no problem with the lead ammo ban when out in the hills.

I buy a box for myself and my spouse each year as we tend to cycle all SD rounds through the chamber in that length of time loading and unloading. Once I have chambered each round 2X I shoot them at the range and reload my SD magazines with fresh ammo.

I have NEVER had a FTF, FTE, or any other problem with this ammo. Since this is true SD ammo, I'd like to think that the mfg put more engineering effort behind the design for reliability in loading, extracting, and ignition than "practice" ammo requires.

My biggest issue with Corbon is being able to buy it. I like to buy my ammo locally and Corbon is rarely ever in stock. I have the DPX for my KT .380 and like it a lot. I have just bought some of the Federal HST though for my M&P .40c. From all I am reading, it is pretty good stuff. Cabela's has it for about $22 a box of 50 rounds right now.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Interesting observation for you all.
    I have been a great proponent of Cor-Bon DPX. However, I killed a chicken eating possum the other night and with the dead body I shot it with my wife's Bersa Thunder .380, with phone book underneath. Cor Bon DPX lodged in the phone book and was barely deformed. Remington Golden Saber, tore a big hole in the phone book and lodge in the dirt. Was pretty well expanded. Cor-Bon did not penetrate the phone book after the possum, where Golden Saber did penetrate and expand as it should have. Best penetration and expansion in this test goes to the Remington
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    At the range? No.

As carry ammo, if it's the most-reliable stuff for your specific gun? Only if your life is worth the $32 difference over ammo that doesn't cycle or perform as well.

For me, the results of an exhaustive search for the absolutely smoothest feeding and most-reliable rounds for my CZ P-01 9mm semi-auto were that two rounds worked well, noticeably better than all others: DoubleTap JHP Gold Dot 124gr 9mm, and Federal HydraShok Tactical JHP 124gr 9mm. There are a couple other rounds out there in a similar velocity/lb-ft performance class, but none (that I've found so far) that perform nearly as well in my specific gun. In my case, it's not a matter of $32 per range session, or $32 for my life. Above a certain level of performance, it's a matter of what feeds best ... and what doesn't. The DT's do, and that's what I carry.

Now, as for range practice, I've found that a number of items work passably well. I've got a couple thousand reloads from 10yrs ago that work just fine, as do the "yellow box" UMC FMJ stuff. Those are plenty good for the bulk of range work, supplemented by the good stuff.

So your saying only corbon is the only worthy round for defense?
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

After checking "Ballistics By the Inch" I'm not so sure about the 165 gr. Cor Bon JHP that I THOUGHT launched from my 4" 629 @ 1300 fps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links