Anyone have a source for gelatin ???

This is a discussion on Anyone have a source for gelatin ??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the title says... everything I've found is $8/ lb. or more. It doesn't have to be "ballistic" gelatin - I'm not doing any work ...

Thread: Anyone have a source for gelatin ???

Anyone have a source for gelatin ???

As the title says... everything I've found is $8/ lb. or more. It doesn't have to be "ballistic" gelatin - I'm not doing any work that has to be submitted to the FBI. I've found several "recipes" on the net using conventional gelatin . I'm trying to lay in supplies for some tests I want to run in late winter/early spring. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I know it's far from scientific but the cheap route is to just use gallon jugs filled with water. I just like capturing the bullets to check their expansion myself. I believe all that gelatin is probably going to be pretty expensive anywhere you get it... sorry I don't have a good source.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

It may be cheaper to make your own. Sorry I read your post to fast.
    Last edited by ronwill; December 20th, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: In to much of a hurry.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

NOW Foods, Beef Gelatin Powder - 5 lbs. - Nutricity.com

Around $26 for 5 pounds. Will make about 5 gallons of mix that is close to ballistic gel.
    bosco

Administrator
    PERMA-GEL is initially expensive but you can use it over and over and over again. Just remelt & reuse it.
    I heard that you can just use a crock pot to remelt it but, I have no verification of that.

MidwayUSA - Perma-Gel Ballistic Gel Mix

Perma-Gel is a substitute for the 10% ordnance gelatin commonly used by the FBI and ballisticians to evaluate bullet performance, yet incorporates convenient improvements that make using ballistic gel a viable option for regular sportsmen. Perma-Gel remains solid at room temperature, is reusable by melting it down and reshaping it, has superior clarity, is not affected by water and is not subject to bacteria growth. Results are very similar, but not identical, to ordnance gel. Comes in pre-packaged blocks and in mix kits to be prepared by the user.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    NOW Foods, Beef Gelatin Powder - 5 lbs. - Nutricity.com

Around $26 for 5 pounds. Will make about 5 gallons of mix that is close to ballistic gel.
    bosco
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    PERMA-GEL is initially expensive but you can use it over and over and over again. Just remelt & reuse it.
    I heard that you can just use a crock pot to remelt it but, I have no verification of that.

MidwayUSA - Perma-Gel Ballistic Gel Mix

Perma-Gel is a substitute for the 10% ordnance gelatin commonly used by the FBI and ballisticians to evaluate bullet performance, yet incorporates convenient improvements that make using ballistic gel a viable option for regular sportsmen. Perma-Gel remains solid at room temperature, is reusable by melting it down and reshaping it, has superior clarity, is not affected by water and is not subject to bacteria growth. Results are very similar, but not identical, to ordnance gel. Comes in pre-packaged blocks and in mix kits to be prepared by the user.

This is just the info I was after... thanks guys ! I'm definitely going to check into the perma-gel . I just hope it's not too cost prohibitive.

Yoda, I am, yes.

A trial pack from Vyse is about 90 bucks and isn't bad if you want to figure out if you really want to do the testing.

Ordnance / Ballistic Gelatin

Note that the test pack has enough gel for 3 molds but it only has one cardboard mold that can be reused. It is easier if you just mix it all up at once and then make up two extra molds.

Results look like:
    Attached Images

Ever thougt of using Bentonite? It is used to seal bottomless tanks for watering livestock and also is used a lot in the wine industry for a fining agent. Mixed with hot water and allowed to set for a few hours, it is very "gelantious" , thick and should do a decent job of reacting like gelain blocks. Bentonite is very cheap too.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Links