Defensive Carry banner

Jhp's in 1911

5K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
Hi all
been running nothing but 230gr ball through my Springfeild 1911 full slide , but wanted to try some JHP was looking for suggestions was always told feed it for what its made for ball but have read many threads here guys running JHP with no problem ,looking for new carry load so needs to be dependable.has anybody got a brand of JHP they'd stake there lives on?

#2 ·
Actually...a properly tuned 1911 should feed and function with just about anything you want to run through it.

The only way to really know what your particular firearm will feed (or not feed) is to buy it and try it.

Much depends on if your barrel has been throated or not.

#5 ·
Thanks G96 will look into.

#4 ·
Good advise QK ive done so with ball and it has ate everthing ive put in even gunshow ammo, but with the cost of defensive ammo these days , ive seen some good prices on gold saber rounds will probably start with those local store carries gold dot maybe try those next .

#6 ·
No matter what brand/sype of ammo you select, I would make sure my gun feeds 200 rounds of my chosen load without a malfunction before trusting it.

That means that if I have a malfunction at round 47 during the test, I start all over again at round 1 after fixing what caused the malfunction. If I have a malfunction at round 195 I do the same thing. I at least figure out why the gun malfunctioned, and determine if it was shooter induced, ammo induced or gun enduced. It can get exspensive, but I'm worth it.

I personally run Federal 230 Grain +P HST in my 1911. I've had good luck with other ammo, but the HST is easy for me to get, and I like it.

Biker :palmier:

#7 ·
I use 230gr federal HST in my 1911, never had an issue with it. I use HST in my 9mm also, it's just a great round.

#8 ·
If a 1911 is set up right, it will feed empty cases flawlessly; I learned this from Junior Nowlin of Nowlin firearms.

As for my JHP Load, it has been Cor-Bon for the past 20 years. They are one of the few ammo makers that really produce on their performance claims. The load I use is their 165 grain Pow-r-Ball load for reliability reasons.

The 1,250 fps velocity doesnt hurt either......

#10 ·
My Kimber eats everything I put through it. Because Walmart is usually the cheapest I can buy locally, I run WWB 230g ball ammo for practice and shoot the WWB 230g JHP for carry. They both shoot about the same and hit almost identical. This is important for me, I feel your practice ammo should hit the target the same as your carry ammo. No matter what you shoot, your gun must operate flawlessly or you cannot depend on it.

#12 ·
I have a RIA Govt model that will feed empty cases, whose stopping power is not that great but no FTF's. :35:

All joking aside it will eat anything I want to feed it and I can use the off the counter in a cardboard box $5.00 each, bargin bin magazines without any problems. :danceban:

I have fed it 155 GR Lead, 200 Gr Lead SWC, 200 Gr Speer fly ashcans, black talons, Wally world white box, Remington green box, UMC yellow box, Federal PDA, Etc and it just devours them.

#14 ·
Federal HST's are so cheap, and really fantastic rounds. Buy a box or two, and load one up and just start shooting. I won't carry with anything I've shot < 200 rounds through my carry gun with.

#16 ·
The sheriffs department in my area has a lot of deputies that use 1911s. The only load they had any issues with in testing was the 200 grain gold dots. In some of the pistols (colts, springfields and kimbers) they just did not feed reliably. So far they have decided to stick with the offerings of federal. Hydrashocks seem to feed well through every 1911 I have shot (springfield, colt, kimber, RIA, and Taurus)

#17 ·
I'm surprised nobody else mentioned it, but Hornady XTP in JHP at 230 gr is extremely accurate and Hornady is known for stopping power in hunting.

I figure if it works for a 4 legged critter it'll work for a 2 legged one.

It's also a round that is known for feeding reliably. It's my go to round in .380, 9mm and .45.

#18 ·
Gold Saber

Gotammo got the ammo right.:rolleyes:
Gold Saber is very rounded and the jacket is pretty stiff. The hollowpoint is a small hole, but that doesn't effect the expansion by design. If your gun feeds FMJ, it will feed this stuff.

#19 ·
Toward Better Feeding Of HP Ammo

Left - Original GI Hardball Barrel - Not Throated

Middle - The Traditional Throated Barrel

Right...The Revised Colt Barrel Throat for more reliable feeding and better support of the case head.

Also when your barrel is resting on the frame in its furthest to the rear position it needs some distance away from the top edge of the frame feed ramp for maximum feed reliability. See photo below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.