Jhp's in 1911

Jhp's in 1911

This is a discussion on Jhp's in 1911 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all been running nothing but 230gr ball through my Springfeild 1911 full slide , but wanted to try some JHP was looking for suggestions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jhp's in 1911

Jhp's in 1911

Hi all
    been running nothing but 230gr ball through my Springfeild 1911 full slide , but wanted to try some JHP was looking for suggestions was always told feed it for what its made for ball but have read many threads here guys running JHP with no problem ,looking for new carry load so needs to be dependable.has anybody got a brand of JHP they'd stake there lives on?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Administrator
    Actually...a properly tuned 1911 should feed and function with just about anything you want to run through it.

The only way to really know what your particular firearm will feed (or not feed) is to buy it and try it.

Much depends on if your barrel has been throated or not.

I shoot a 200gr HP/XTP regularly. Have had no feed issues at all. All of my ammo are reloads.

Good advise QK ive done so with ball and it has ate everthing ive put in even gunshow ammo, but with the cost of defensive ammo these days , ive seen some good prices on gold saber rounds will probably start with those local store carries gold dot maybe try those next .
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

Quote Originally Posted by G96X0 View Post
    I shoot a 200gr HP/XTP regularly. Have had no feed issues at all. All of my ammo are reloads.
    Thanks G96 will look into.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

No matter what brand/sype of ammo you select, I would make sure my gun feeds 200 rounds of my chosen load without a malfunction before trusting it.

That means that if I have a malfunction at round 47 during the test, I start all over again at round 1 after fixing what caused the malfunction. If I have a malfunction at round 195 I do the same thing. I at least figure out why the gun malfunctioned, and determine if it was shooter induced, ammo induced or gun enduced. It can get exspensive, but I'm worth it.

I personally run Federal 230 Grain +P HST in my 1911. I've had good luck with other ammo, but the HST is easy for me to get, and I like it.

Biker

wpk
    I use 230gr federal HST in my 1911, never had an issue with it. I use HST in my 9mm also, it's just a great round.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

If a 1911 is set up right, it will feed empty cases flawlessly; I learned this from Junior Nowlin of Nowlin firearms.

As for my JHP Load, it has been Cor-Bon for the past 20 years. They are one of the few ammo makers that really produce on their performance claims. The load I use is their 165 grain Pow-r-Ball load for reliability reasons.

The 1,250 fps velocity doesnt hurt either......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wpk View Post
    I use 230gr federal HST in my 1911, never had an issue with it. I use HST in my 9mm also, it's just a great round.
    Ditto on both calibers.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My Kimber eats everything I put through it. Because Walmart is usually the cheapest I can buy locally, I run WWB 230g ball ammo for practice and shoot the WWB 230g JHP for carry. They both shoot about the same and hit almost identical. This is important for me, I feel your practice ammo should hit the target the same as your carry ammo. No matter what you shoot, your gun must operate flawlessly or you cannot depend on it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

My Kimbers (1911) and Glocks shoot anything...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a RIA Govt model that will feed empty cases, whose stopping power is not that great but no FTF's.

All joking aside it will eat anything I want to feed it and I can use the off the counter in a cardboard box $5.00 each, bargin bin magazines without any problems.

I have fed it 155 GR Lead, 200 Gr Lead SWC, 200 Gr Speer fly ashcans, black talons, Wally world white box, Remington green box, UMC yellow box, Federal PDA, Etc and it just devours them.

I use 230 gr PMC Starefire. I have used it in all my 1911s and it always works. It even works in WW1 1911, which have the reputation of not feeding anything but hardball.

Federal HST's are so cheap, and really fantastic rounds. Buy a box or two, and load one up and just start shooting. I won't carry with anything I've shot < 200 rounds through my carry gun with.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

golden sabers the shape mimics the FMJ RN bullet. I use them in 185 grain test shots I've taken have expanded to .790 inches at 865 fps which is 150 FPS slower than factory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links