Rubber Bullet - Page 2

Rubber Bullet

This is a discussion on Rubber Bullet within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I asked a lawyer friend once about the use of paintballs. He suggested that it may still be considered "use of a deadly weapon". Essentially, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rubber Bullet

I asked a lawyer friend once about the use of paintballs. He suggested that it may still be considered "use of a deadly weapon". Essentially, whenever you use a gun, you use a deadly weapon. The distinction between non-lethal and lethal ammunition only applies to law enforcement.

Florida statues (FS 776.06) explicitly allow law enforcement to use less then lethal ammunition "in good faith, and within the scope of their duties" and considers it "non-deadly force".

In my opinion, one of the reasons for the law enforcement distinctions is that there is a sliding scale of lethal / non-lethal ammunition and some of it depends on the skill of the user. A rubber bullet to the head may be deadly while it is just very painful to an extremity.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    I asked a lawyer friend once about the use of paintballs. He suggested that it may still be considered "use of a deadly weapon". Essentially, whenever you use a gun, you use a deadly weapon.
    I don't think that is correct. Jon Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms: Law, Use and Ownership, covers the issue, defining a deadly weapon as "one that is likely to produce death or great bodily harm."

A paintball gun doesn't qualify. It is not a firearm. (Don't point one at an LEO, though!)

And it's very hard to use deadly or lethal force with a non-firearm, other than with blunt object or other kind of deadly weapon, such as knife.

So, if you're saying: "Essentially, whenever you use a [paintball] gun, you use a deadly weapon.", then I'd feel very comfortable in disagreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    The distinction between non-lethal and lethal ammunition only applies to law enforcement.

Florida statues (FS 776.06) explicitly allow law enforcement to use less then lethal ammunition "in good faith, and within the scope of their duties" and considers it "non-deadly force".

In my opinion, one of the reasons for the law enforcement distinctions is that there is a sliding scale of lethal / non-lethal ammunition and some of it depends on the skill of the user. A rubber bullet to the head may be deadly while it is just very painful to an extremity.
    Lethal vs. non-lethal ammunition (in a lethal weapon, i.e, a firearm) and its attendant legalities doesn't seem to be at issue here.

Also, rubber bullets are not non-lethal. They are "less than lethal." They can still kill very easily if not used properly; LEO have strict guidelines and standoff distances at which they are allowed to use less than lethal rounds like rubber bullets or "beanbag" rounds. Even tear gas can go far beyond its intended effect sometimes.

edit: I think that a paintball gun could be used to kill somebody. A very close shot out of a higher speed weapon to the temple might be enough to do that. There was a problem here a few years ago about punk kids who would drive around the city at night, paintballing people who were just riding their bikes (hitting them at close range).

I would guess a close hit with a paint ball gun in the heart area and the right(wrong) time between beats could be deadly.

From what I have read about rubber bullets they don't create enough energy to rack the slide and thus after you shoot that "less than lethal" round you better have time to rack it manually. I believe these rounds in civilian hands are there strictly so in court you have proof you didn't want to kill the BG. I, personally, would never use these. Unless you carry a revolver it's going to give the BG enough time to reach you while you chamber the bullets that WILL stop him for sure. I'm not going to risk my life or that of my familes on the assumption that the BG will turn tail when hit with a piece of rubber.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I think that a paintball gun could be used to kill somebody. A very close shot out of a higher speed weapon to the temple might be enough to do that.
    I doubt it.

OK, possibly.Sounds like a 1 in 25 million chance. Maybe. Lottery level odds. Of neglible concern.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    There was a problem here a few years ago about punk kids who would drive around the city at night, paintballing people who were just riding their bikes (hitting them at close range).
    Anybody get killed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links