My pistol jammed.

This is a discussion on My pistol jammed. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a 9mm cougar a month ago. Never fired it until yesterday at the shooting range. After the 60 rounds, it starting to get ...

Thread: My pistol jammed.

My pistol jammed.

I bought a 9mm cougar a month ago. Never fired it until yesterday at the shooting range. After the 60 rounds, it starting to get jammed more often. Then the weather started heavy rain. I walked up into the gun shop. A guy told me that reason why it was jammed is because the handgun was new and it need to fire up at least 200 rounds to ease up and aviod jammed? Plus more lubiciant oil in it. Need your advice how to do something to prevent jammed. And how do you clean ur pistol ? how often ?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I clean it every time I shoot it. Several manufactures recommend a 200-300 round break in period.

Its a good idea to clean a pistol before you shoot it to make sure that there isn't packing grease in it and to make sure it is properly lubed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Have you run different ammo through it?
    I clean my guns every time I come from the range.

HotGuns is right on, before shooting any more break it down and do a re-lube and good cleaning ... I would think all future rounds should work much better.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    I bought a 9mm cougar a month ago. Never fired it until yesterday at the shooting range. After the 60 rounds, it starting to get jammed more often.
    I never, ever trust that a pattern of behavior is conclusive until I've put 1000-2000 rounds through a gun. Until then, it really is supposition. And, yes, many new pistols are subject to a break-in and self-tuning phase, during which time you can experience a variety of cycling issues. Some pistols seem to be a bit better designed and to experience this less, out of the box. I don't believe most are that way, though.

If you like the pistol and would like to seriously evaluate it for possible use as a carry weapon, my suggestion would be a torture test of sorts over a thousand rounds. Feed it all sorts of ammunition, but do it systematically with the goal of finding that specific brand/model of ammo that works flawlessly in your specific gun.

Due to tolerance stacking and variation from gun to gun, it's simply not possible to reliably assume a given box of whatever ammo will be perfect in a given gun. Not unless that model of gun typically ends up with tolerances stacked in such a manner that it well matches specific ammo. One gun might need a bit of polishing; another, tightening; another, removal of slight burrs or other defects that are fouling the cycling performance.

In my experience with breaking in two Browning BDM's, a CZ P-01, a Kahr PM9 and a NAA Guardian 380, and with much time in the saddle with a Browning Hi-Power during it's break-in period, I find that pistols can very much prefer a certain type of ammo. Whether that's due to the overall length, the tightness of the lip (crimp) of the brass, or whatever, I'm not certain. I do know that out of nearly two dozen different choices of ammo that I've sent through my P-01, the two longest (OAL) rounds were by far the best feeding. No comparison.

I do know that after the first 1500 rds of the P-01, I had a very good idea of what it was capable of, and which which rounds. I then had a competent CZ gunsmith polish and tune the action. It's now nearly perfect, with particular rounds.

Keep in mind, too, that ~$400 pistols don't have a few hours' of a competent gunsmith's time in them. Both rifles and pistols come out inexact off the assembly lines. Until they're perfectly blueprinted, IMO, they're going to be imperfect to a degree, each a little different. In some guns, that means a reasonably obvious variation amongst examples; in others, reasonably little. I'm not that familiar with the Cougar pistol, but a reputation for cycling perfection is something hard-earned over long years. So far as I know, the Cougar isn't one of these that's known for out-of-box perfection.

As for cleaning, I tend to clean it every time once off the range, including once/mo during break-in. Keep a selection of key springs on hand. Don't forget the performance of the magazines, as well, as they can lead to cycling issues.

So. Consider some time for break-in, some tuning, or going another direction. Those are the basic options.

Good luck.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The Stoeger or Beretta Cougars' lugs need to be kept oiled or greased. I have a couple of Cougars and the lugs like to kept well lubed.

If a good lube job on the lugs does not work, check your mags and possibly ammo.

In my experience, Cougars don't need a break-in period, however your gun might well need a breaking in period.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by houdini View Post
    Have you run different ammo through it?
    I clean my guns every time I come from the range.
    yes winchester 124GR and monarch 115GR FMJ

During break in period I usually do a quick field cleaning after every 50 rounds, it has always worked well for me.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

My Baretta Cougar has never jammed. Check the ammo you are using and try a different one... but, I suspecting 'oil it ' right is the real answer. I clean it everytime after I shoot it.... and have no issues. I've never had any issue with any ammo in it (type, brand, etc). No matter tho, any manufacturer will have that "one" that does. Try those and if it continues, I'ld sent it to Stoeger to have it checked out, because it could be several things.

Just more shots, is not always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My Baretta Cougar has never jammed. Check the ammo you are using and try a different one... but, I suspecting 'oil it ' right is the real answer. I clean it everytime after I shoot it.... and have no issues. I've never had any issue with any ammo in it (type, brand, etc). No matter tho, any manufacturer will have that "one" that does. Try those and if it continues, I'ld sent it to Stoeger to have it checked out, because it could be several things.

Just more shots, is not always the answer.

Curious.... what kind of ammo are you using on ur cougar ?

I personally clean and lube a new pistol,I have very few issues at the range,I don't know of anybody that ever fired a thousand rounds in self defense except in combat.If I fire a couple hundred rounds trouble free I would have no trouble carrying the pistol for SD.If I have a handgun that FTF or FTE consistently I will not trust it until I figure out the problem,and then ire several hundred trouble free rounds including the rounds I carry for SD.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Shooting Range Today

Went to shooting range today. Fired 200 rounds with no jam. Thanks yall for advice. I oiled and lubed my firearm before shooting. Work real good and very smooth!

I have a thing I do with my carry gun presently a(1911 Sprinfield) or my Colt, after initial 1000 rd. break in.Clean gun ,then load all 6 magazines,then fire and reload as qiuckly as possible, until all mags are empty(48 rds) reload all magazines and repeat(another 48 rds fired)If no problems gun is now ready for carry.I do this with the SAME ammo i will carry,for me it is rem 230 gr.h.p..I carry in condition 1 and have 2 loaded mags with me. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    Curious.... what kind of ammo are you using on ur cougar ?
    Glad it's working good for you now. Good to hear. Mine has always worked and shot great.

As far as ammo, I've shot every type, grain size and brand of 9 mm ammo in it, except for Bear ammo, with no issues. I've had it for gee...... 13-14 yrs, and it still looks brand new (good quality). What I like for SD, is the Federal 124 gr. HST HP from Ammo To Go.

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Federal LE Tactical HST 124gr. +P HP Ammo [P9HST3] - $19.95

Links