9mm practice loads

This is a discussion on 9mm practice loads within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm gonna be putting some rounds down range in the CW9 and I really don't know what to get. My choices are all fmj of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm practice loads

Question 9mm practice loads

I'm gonna be putting some rounds down range in the CW9 and I really don't know what to get. My choices are all fmj of course.
    115 gr., 124 gr., and 147 gr.
    I'm not gonna buy hp's just to waste into paper, just ain't gonna happen. Anyone got any info for me, or does it not matter which of the three I use ? I'm thinkin' 115 gr. just because its cheapest.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I don't think you'll see much of a difference for paper punching. I usually go with what ever weights are available at a lesser cost from Blazer Brass, WWB, or American Eagle.

You might also want to check out Georgia Arms and see what his prices are like, pending on how much you're buying.

I am changing out my carry guns and
    going to 9MM for the same reason you
    said ,its cheaper plus I shoot the 9mm better.
    I shoot 115gr because they are cheaper too
    but if I can find them I will shoot 124gr because
    thats what I will be carrying in them.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I use the cheapest for punching paper often wolf.I mention this not meaning to start anything about using steel casings.They are cheap.I've also used all the above brands and they work just fine.I am not fussy ,just cheap !

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm not gonna buy hp's just to waste into paper, just ain't gonna happen.
    I agree with 'ya Art. I would buy whatever quality round you can get for cheap. I usually go to Walmart, buy the WWB hardball ammo and blast away. You want to get some rounds through it and make sure its working properly and dependable. Later, if you choose to carry it, thats when you can start with JHP's and make sure they function correctly.

Dont forget to post that range report.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post

Dont forget to post that range report.
    plus1
    I'd like to see some photos too
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Been using the Blazer Brass 115gr myself. $8.97 a 50ct box at Wally World. I generally shoot up my carry ammo at some point.......124gr +p GDHP's. I don't see many options these days for the 147gr FMJ's, but I have quite a bit left over from years past. Practice is practice, and you'd still need to run a couple mags of your particular carry ammo through your pistol at the range to gauge the recoil, any follow up shots, and your accuracy with both the load and the pistol. Nothing wrong with 115gr for practice. For those who carry sub compact pistols with higher power SD loads, I would suggest going with the heaviest FMJ loading you could find (at least 100 rounds) initially to get as close a feel for the recoil/reaction they will be getting with the SD ammo they will be carrying. Those who practice often with the lighter loads should also occasionally run a full mag of their SD ammo through. The practice with the lighter range ammo sort of gets one into a routine, then surprisingly groups and times for follow up shots tend to spread with the SD ammo if you know what I mean. I like to surprise myself in the back yard with two or three spontaneous shots out of my G19 into steel at 35' with the 124gr +P's whenever I get the notion...just to see how slow I can be and still get them in the trap.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I've used all three brands with no problems.Your punching paper so try them all
    when there on sale.I am amazed at the dramatic price increase we seen on ammo.

115gr for cheapest....you won't realize much difference anyway.

Also, this might depend on how much you really would shoot. Out of CW9, I don't think I could shoot too much. I have the PM9 model (same dimensions, just fancier parts) and it really hurts to shoot more than 50 rounds for me on this gun.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

I've been using WWB in 100rd boxes for practice and IDPA, but I may switch to Blazer Brass. I believe a box of 50rds is a smidge under $9, making it cheaper now.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I believe a box of 50rds is a smidge under $9, making it cheaper now.

-JT
    You are right ,My Wal Mart just under $9.00 as well.

Blazer Brass or Blazer Aluminum 115 gr. generally the cheapest around here. Shouldn't matter, see if the CW9 is picky.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Thanx for the input folks. Normally, I drive the 45 minutes to get to Ga. Arms ammo, but really don't wanna spend the dollars for the 500 pack at the moment. Wally world has the white box at $20 for 100 pieces of 115 gr. ammo. That'll work.
    At some point I'll shoot a few hp's through the gun to gage recoil and response. If its that shocking, then thats lesson to teach myself another day and soon !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Thanx for the input folks. Normally, I drive the 45 minutes to get to Ga. Arms ammo, but really don't wanna spend the dollars for the 500 pack at the moment. Wally world has the white box at $20 for 100 pieces of 115 gr. ammo. That'll work.
    At some point I'll shoot a few hp's through the gun to gage recoil and response. If its that shocking, then thats lesson to teach myself another day and soon !
    WWB has always worked well for me also...no issues....same price here. You may also find the WWB PD ammo in the 50 round boxes. I got some in the 45acp here a while back and they also make the 9mm and 40S&W loadings. Should be around the same price as the 100ct bulk FMJ's. I think it's labeled Personal Protection or something like that.
    Wal Mart fact #12 Ninety percent of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

While at defensive pistol ranges it actually makes very little difference as point of impact won't be that much different, I do usually like to use the same weight practice ammo as my carry ammo. For me, that means 124 gr. in 9mm, 165 gr. in 40 S&W and 230 gr. in 45 ACP.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links