Winchester White Box

Winchester White Box

This is a discussion on Winchester White Box within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my new S&W 3913LS to the range yesterday I shot half a box of 124 gr NATO ball and half a box of 124gr ...

Thumbs up Winchester White Box

Took my new S&W 3913LS to the range yesterday I shot half a box of 124 gr NATO ball and half a box of 124gr Gold Dot with not a blip. My shooting partner wanted to give the smith a try so I handed it to him he was shooting WWB 115gr ball he loaded the mag fired the first shot but the slide stayed forward and didn't eject the spent shell he hand cycled the slide and tried again same thing we tried all three mags I had with the gun always the same. I took the gun back fired the other 25 rds of 124 ball and the Gold Dot no problem, my buddy was shooting the WWB 115gr in his Glock 19 but Glocks will shoot about anything. I had heard the little 3913 liked 124gr ammo and I guess it must be right although I must admit the WWB was loaded kinda of light listning to the sound and feeling the recoil. By the way the little 3913 shot great!

Just a few days ago there was a thread where someone had trouble with UMC ammo and people said that the Winchester white box was so much better. You can have issues with any "economy priced" ammo IMO. I've shot Winchester, UMC and Blazer through my Glocks and Berettas and the only one that has given me trouble has been Blazer (was only two rounds). Think the main lesson to us all is to make sure and carry premium ammo on a daily basis. Sorry you had trouble though, know that's no fun.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I've used the WWB in all my guns, everything from .45 fullsize 1911 to the .380 Bersa and never had a problem with it. It's a little on the dirty side though, but for range use it doesn't matter the guns gets a good scrubbing afterward anyhow. Of all the cheaper plinking ammo out there I would say it's at the top of the list.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

What's the rating of the 3913LS recoil spring? I'm going to have to try a box of WWB in my P220 just to see now.....sort of a test. My P220 has a 20lb recoil spring. Of course, I've used the WWB 115gr 9mm load in my Glocks with no problems. Then again "Glocks will eat anything".

I use WWB 9mm in my Ruger SR9, and have NEVER had a problem with it. WWB 115gr ammo tends to shoot a little "soft", and it's conceivable that guns with particularly stiff recoil springs won't cycle fully. However, my SR9 has a pretty stout spring, and like I said, it's never failed with the WWB.

Maybe the guy was just limp wristing your Smith?

-JT

I just finished cleaning the 3913 and it does have a pretty stout spring. I never had trouble with WWB before yesterday maybe it just needs shot a bunch to get broke in a little. Meanwhile I will carry the Gold Dot 124gr for social tasks

Win White Box has worked fine in all my guns except my Olys Arms 9mm AR. It is too dirty - it stops ejecting. No problem with other brands, just White Box. It does work well in my Glocks, HP's, Walthers, S&Ws and Colts. It is just a little dirtier than most.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
    I just finished cleaning the 3913 and it does have a pretty stout spring. I never had trouble with WWB before yesterday maybe it just needs shot a bunch to get broke in a little. Meanwhile I will carry the Gold Dot 124gr for social tasks
    We'll see. It's my goal now, and I might make it to the range tomorrow. But I have a box of WWB 45acp 230gr FMJ I am going to run through my P220 just because I haven't yet. My P220 is well broken in with over 500 rounds through it with factory 20lb spring. I just want to know myself. I don't know of many current pistols that have a 20lb+ spring. Of course, the 115gr 9mm FMJ is a light load for the caliber IMO....probably the lightest available in FMJ factory ammo? My SIG is the only non-Glock pistol I have to work with on this.

In my primary Springfield 1911, I use white box 230 grain jhp, because everything else jams once and a while, but the white box, never a problem. I stopped getting caught up in the wonder bullet game.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links