Federal Tactical HST back in stock at ATG!!

This is a discussion on Federal Tactical HST back in stock at ATG!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, please explain the difference between Federal's HST and Tactical Bonded. I'm confused....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Federal Tactical HST back in stock at ATG!!

Ok, please explain the difference between Federal's HST and Tactical Bonded. I'm confused.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    Ok, please explain the difference between Federal's HST and Tactical Bonded. I'm confused.
    HST is designed for maximum expansion and terminal performance. Tactical Bonded has the copper jacket bonded to the lead core on a molecular level, and the skiving inside the cavity is designed to limit expansion to increase weight retention after penetrating barriers.

Basically, soft targets=HST, shooting through car doors/windshields/etc.=Tactical Bonded.

So, in your opinion how does the Federal HST compare to Ranger T’s.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Thanks. But I should be more specific in my posts. I meant .45ACP.
    What a BoneHead waste my time like that. J/K no problem, you are right they are out glad I already have my stock pile. I'd keep checking or give them a yell and ask when they will have more in. They are pretty good folks to work with

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    Here you go on their website Federal's HST and Tactical Bonded
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    HST is designed for maximum expansion and terminal performance. Tactical Bonded has the copper jacket bonded to the lead core on a molecular level, and the skiving inside the cavity is designed to limit expansion to increase weight retention after penetrating barriers.

Basically, soft targets=HST, shooting through car doors/windshields/etc.=Tactical Bonded.
    I've been using the Tactical Bonded (135gr and now 124gr) not realizing the penetration differences versus HST.
    Am I really losing a lot of expansion capability when shooting directly into a BG?
    I'm talking pure civilian SD uses not LE.
    Last edited by The Fish; January 13th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    So, in your opinion how does the Federal HST compare to Ranger Tís.
    Rangers are no where close to the quality of HST. IMO Rangers barely qualify as range ammo But do not take my word for it look at the links done by LEO across the country as see their results. From the thread Best 9mm round for Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Federal HST out performs everything else by every measure I have seen

Here are a couple of links I posted on another thread. Federal HST by far out performs every other bullet I have seen and studied. No matter what they are shot through or into they are the most consistent performing and expanding round available. Ammunition To Go! keeps a supply available with decent prices and excellent service. They of course carry other premium ammo, Rangers Gold Dots, Golden Sabers etc all of which they tend to have in stock.

This first set are tests done at LEO facilities around the country and provide a great deal of comparative information of several different brands of ammo including Rangers and HST. They are downloadable PDF files so you will need Adobe Acrobat to read them if you do not have Adobe Acrobat . You can download it
    Here

Los Angeles County - California
    Riverside - California
    Santa Clara - California
    Fresno County - California
    Kern County - California
    Sacramento County - California
    San Angelo - Texas
    Pierce County Workshop - Washington
    San Diego County Workshop - California
    Portland Police Bureau - Oregon

The following are links to pages with some pretty dramatic pics of different SD ammo from a two different sites. Nothing like seeing the expansion difference side by side. Lots of 9mm pics
    ballistics testing - round 1 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 2 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 3 - varied 9mm JHP's - shooting through tshirts
    ballistics testing - round 5 - comparing 9mm JHP velocities
    ballistics testing - round 6 - Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    ballistics testing - round 7 - shooting through denim - 9 mm, 45 acp, and 357 magnum

Terminal Ballistics .45 ACP
    Terminal Ballistics 9mm

There is also a rather informative thread here with pics at Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics

Below is a pic of my rather meager example of HST compared to some other premium SD ammunition. By the time I did this I no longer had any expanded .45 Ranger rounds. To be honest after I tested some Ranger I was pretty ticked. I had just bought over $200 of Rangers that I ended up sending down range. I was all over paper I was so ticked a function of my anger at wasting over $200 not the ammo. To my credit I did stay COM mad as I was, just not anything you would call groups. The .45 Rangers look pretty much like the .380 Rangers except larger but not nearly as large as the HST or even the Golden Sabers
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

i can no longer as of like 5 mins ago find the hst's on ATG WEBSITE, i was just looking at them went up to mcdonalds came back refreshed the page and since cannot find the hst ammo link for .45 acp.. anyone know if there out?

Quote Originally Posted by Th12t33n View Post
    i can no longer as of like 5 mins ago find the hst's on ATG WEBSITE, i was just looking at them went up to mcdonalds came back refreshed the page and since cannot find the hst ammo link for .45 acp.. anyone know if there out?
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...93-post47.html

They haven't had HST for a little while now.
    HK45c V1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links