reccomended ammo for Taurus 24/7 pro .45?

This is a discussion on reccomended ammo for Taurus 24/7 pro .45? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i plan on using regular ball ammunition at the range but what do you reccomend for self defense ammo? should i go with a higher ...

Thread: reccomended ammo for Taurus 24/7 pro .45?

reccomended ammo for Taurus 24/7 pro .45?

i plan on using regular ball ammunition at the range but what do you reccomend for self defense ammo? should i go with a higher grain or not?

what do you reccomend for ultimate stopping power and reliability for my taurus PT 24/7 pro .45acp?

thanks

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jaidedeye View Post
    i plan on using regular ball ammunition at the range but what do you reccomend for self defense ammo? should i go with a higher grain or not?

what do you reccomend for ultimate stopping power and reliability for my taurus PT 24/7 pro .45acp?
    thanks
    I won't recommend anything for "ultimate stopping power" but my 24/7 Pro is loaded with Remington Golden Saber 230 grain BJHP. It handles this ammo well. For practice I load up with WWB 230 grain FMJ which the gun also handles well.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

thanks

Carry ammo that you will trust your life too is YOUR decision. You must choose what feeds reliably and you are most accurate with consistently.

Doesnt matter what others recommend if it doesnt work in your gun and you aint putting shots where they count.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

the reason im asking is becuase i know certain guns operate better with X type of ammo. im a new shooter so i dont want to be wasting money on ammo that is going to cause issues if i really need it.

the reason im asking is becuase i know certain guns operate better with X type of ammo. im a new shooter so i dont want to be wasting money on ammo that is going to cause issues if i really need it.
    You won't know until you try it jaidedeye. What works in my gun might not be so good in yours. Unfortunately it does cost a few bucks to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    You won't know until you try it jaidedeye. What works in my gun might not be so good in yours. Unfortunately it does cost a few bucks to experiment.
    gotcha

+1 for carrying what works in your gun.

While looking for ammo that works in your 24/7 keep in mind that Taurus recommends 230 gr with a velocity of 835 fps. This recommendation does not get leave you much room to choose a lot of self defense ammo. Muzzle energy only calculates to about 356 ft lbs. This recommendation is the main reason I chose to go with the 9mm 24/7, since Taurus recomends up to +p ammo for it with energy above 410 ft lbs.

I shoot Speer GDHP +P 124 grain in my 24/7 and have had good results. They chrono at about 1210 ft per second and 403 ft lbs of energy, only 10 fps less than what Speer lists on their website.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

i picked up a box of MAGTECH guardian gold 185 gr JHP..gonna see how they work out for me.

also going to pick up a few different brands of ball ammo tomorrow at the range

i picked up a box of MAGTECH guardian gold 185 gr JHP..gonna see how they work out for me.

also going to pick up a few different brands of ball ammo tomorrow at the range
    There ya go. Good luck with your new Taurus 24/7. Mine has been good for me.

Links