Emailing a letter to Federal about HST

This is a discussion on Emailing a letter to Federal about HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to Federal's site tonight to send them an email through their "Contact" link. Until sometime today they are not accepting email due to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emailing a letter to Federal about HST

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

I went to Federal's site tonight to send them an email through their "Contact" link. Until sometime today they are not accepting email due to the holiday.

I am going to keep checking until they do start accepting email again and I am going to inquire about the rumor surrounding the public availability of their Tactical HST ammo line.

I want to know directly from Federal if their plan is to keep HST from the public and, if so, why they would move to do that.

My email will also contain the message that I will no longer buy any product made or sold through Federal if this is their actual intent.

I am hoping that enough people interested in this issue will do the same. Lets group together and let Federal know what we think about this and we don't want this fine ammunition to be kept from us or given to us in "watered down" Personal Defense offerings.

We want the best. We have every right to the same ammunition as Law Enforcement (as someone else stated in the other HST post)
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

We have every right to the same ammunition as Law Enforcement (as someone else stated in the other HST post)
    And Federal has the right not sell to the general public if they so desire.

With that said, I want some too.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Is there any stated reason why they don't sell? HST is good ammunition. But why is it considered more dangerous then other Federal self defense products? E.g. the "Hydra Shok" series appears to be quite similar, but it has the little "pin" at the center of the hollow point.

Is it the fact that HST is less then half the prices of Hydra-Shock?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I'll be more than willing to join this crusade if this in fact will be Federal's policy. However, this is all nothing but hearsay at the moment. All second hand information. Curious to hear your response from Federal first.
    HK45c V1

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Is it the fact that HST is less then half the prices of Hydra-Shock?
    No, it is not a fact. It is totally incorrect.

Yes, HST is available to the Public:

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

Quote Originally Posted by AEA View Post

Yes, HST is available to the Public:

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    But, from the very link you posted:
    Typically this ammo is only available to law enforcement and military agencies through Federal, that is a Federal rule, not a law. We got this ammo, because we ordered it for a police department and they cancelled the order, so we can now sell it to anyone.
    This seems to indicate that it is a fact.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have several boxes of the Tactical Truball rifled slugs for the 12ga and I bought locally. Have not seen the HST on shelves yet, but suspect I might in the future. Federal may have a company wide policy on the sales of law enforcement ammo, but if they don't, I'd figure it up to local or area dealers. I might suggest contacting one of those first, and you can find your area dealer by the pull down menu at the top right corner of this page: LE - Pistol
    Going through some of the selections here, their Tactical EFMJ sounds very interesting! LE - Tactical EFMJ
    Seems that most 'law enforcement' ammunition does get to the civilian market sooner or later....just look at Hornady's TAP, and the Winchester Ranger lines.
    As far as this statement: "We have every right to the same ammunition as Law Enforcement", I'll just ride the fence for now while leaving some with this notion.............law enforcement seems to have more of a need for the tactical applications while you and I (regular citizens) may be more concerned with tactical security and take comfort in knowing we have what is supposedly the best available on the market. I do figure that if the law enforcement ammo (specifically designated) were in limited supply, then it should go to LE first and at discounted pricing from the manufacturer. Then to the highest bidder once supply is over demand. In stating this, I'm not looking for an argument. That's just my opinion.

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    But, from the very link you posted:

This seems to indicate that it is a fact.

Hoss
    No, it indicates a Marketing Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by AEA
    And the FACT (incorrect) that I was referring to was that the ammo is not 1/2 the price of Hydra-Shok.

I am kind of with Ram Rod on this one. I can see an ammunition designated as "LE only", if for example it is just not suited for home defense use. For example ammunition that requires special training to be used effectively. However, I don't think this is the case for HST. For Federal, it would be nice to post a reason why they only sell it to LE. Is it in short supply and they would rather fulfill LE orders first? That would be reasonable. Maybe as they ramp up production on it, they will allow civilian sales?

But as Federal is quiet on the reason, it almost looks like a marketing ploy. Label the ammunition as LE only, to make it "look more dangerous" ?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by AEA View Post
    No, it indicates a Marketing Policy.............
    And the fact that I was referring to was that it IS a Federal Ammunition Company policy, at least as indicated on the linked web site. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

AEA
    No problem cvhoss........

Bottom line in this thread as far as I am concerned is that the HST ammo is available to the Public, but, it is not less than 1/2 the price of Hydra-Shok.

HST also available here at Tactical Defence Solutions.

Tactical Defense Solutions LLC - Federal Tactical LEO

I have been following the HST line almost since its inception. Originally marketed as a low cost alternative to existing 'premium' rounds, it has vacillated between 'LEO-only' and 'available to all' depending on the source and location for at least the last four years.

I bought my first box of 9mm HST (50 rds) off the shelf at a local pawn shop for $12/box in 2003. Within a couple of months most local gun shops had it for $13-15/box. Supply shrank and prices increased over the next couple of years, with priority going to LEO's. Still available via the internet, though more expensive.

Federal will get what they can and HST is a hot item right now. I know that the King County Sheriffs are buying it by the truck load and suspect that other depts are also. I am betting that Federal will always continue to sell overstock HST to non LEOs.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

From several of the posts here, it appears there may be a bit of confusion. I don't believe the question is whether HST ammo is available to the public or not as we can all agree that there are multiple sources where we can buy HST ammunition. I believe the question is whether Federal Ammunition has a policy that restricts the sale of that ammunition to LE only. That such a policy does exist is, I believe, backed up by the fact that I can find no mention anywhere on Federal's web site of HST. You have to do some digging to come up with Federal is a wholly owned subsidiary of ATK and by doing a search for them, you come up with the ATK Law Enforcement home page with info on Federal HST ammo along with Speer Law Enforcement ammo.

As I see it, it boils down to one of two things. Federal feels that the HST ammunition is special enough that we as civilians can't be trusted with it. OR, (and I find this more likely) through a policy of it being LE only, it becomes taboo and we all know that anything someone tells us we can't have just makes us want it more. Sounds like a pretty good marketing plan to me.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    From several of the posts here, it appears there may be a bit of confusion. I don't believe the question is whether HST ammo is available to the public or not as we can all agree that there are multiple sources where we can buy HST ammunition. I believe the question is whether Federal Ammunition has a policy that restricts the sale of that ammunition to LE only. That such a policy does exist is, I believe, backed up by the fact that I can find no mention anywhere on Federal's web site of HST.

Hoss
    Glad you saw this! This is almost exactly the intent of my post.

I know HST is "available" to the public. I have some. I ordered more last week. My concern is over a post I read by another user who said their company (a retailer) received a memo from Federal that HST is "no longer to be sold to public" and if they did not conform their HST supplies would be shut off.

I am not concerned for today, I am concerned for tomorrow. If Federal does indeed have plans to keep this ammo from the public I want to know directly from Federal. I dont want hearsay.

And, if this rumor is confirmed by Federal, I will no longer buy any product sold by or associated with Federal.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links