Makes me crazy.

This is a discussion on Makes me crazy. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, Saturday I stopped in at my local gun shop, needed to pick up some components for a reloading project yesterday. They were busy, which ...

Thread: Makes me crazy.

Makes me crazy.

So, Saturday I stopped in at my local gun shop, needed to pick up some components for a reloading project yesterday. They were busy, which is good to see, so it took a bit before I had a chance to chat with Dave.

"Had a chance to check out the Ballistics by the inch site yet?"

"No, not yet - busy with the holidays and stuff. You know."

"No worries."

"Going well?"

"Yeah, we've had over 350,000 hits in the month since it went up."

"Wow." Pause. "Um, is that a lot?" (They're not real big on computers, these guys, which is why there's just a link to a Yellow Pages listing for them off of our website.)

"Heh. Yeah, that's a hell of a lot. It's gotten quite a lot of attention. More and more, I see it cited as a reference when people are talking about this or that caliber performance."

"Huh. Well, I guess. But everyone knows that it's just basically 25 fps for each inch of barrel. Simple."

"Well, no, actually the data we got shows a much greater range . . ."

"Oh, yeah, might be a bit more with some calibers, some weights of bullets and powder charges, but that's a pretty good rule of thumb."

Another guy had a question about a lever gun behind the counter, and Dave turned to help him. I took my powder and primers up to the front counter and had the new kid ring me up.

Jim Downey

(Cross posted to the Bbti blog.)

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

2. Remove Ads

Just human nature, I suppose.

But it does make me crazy - I've run into a number of friends and family members who say "well, I *know* this is the way it is - why should I want actual data?"

Gah.

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

WOW!!!

I will be using that site for help in selecting my ammo, as well as various other information. Thank you for posting the link. That is one great tool to use for help in selecting ammo.

Biker

Happy to be of service, BikerRN - have always appreciated your comments here and elsewhere (assuming the same handle means the same person), and it is good to return a little.

Jim D.

Thank you Mr. Jim.

Yes, it's probably me as BikerRN everywhere else too, except for GlockTalk.

This is the forum I frequent the most though, as I find it to be the best one for my purposes with a pretty good group of people, as you yourself prove.

Biker

Figured. I'm mostly known by "Shadan7" or "Seven" around the web, though I only post sporadically in most gun forums, happier to read and learn. I'm always amused to see someone who just joined say THR last week who has a higher comment count than I do after several years...

Cheers!

Great site Jim. Tons of useful info. It's going into the favorites right.....now.
    God Bless America!!

Thanks, Derrin. We'll be adding to the database this spring, by testing the .327 Federal Magnum, .41 Magnum, and 10mm calibers under the same protocols.

It seems I can't edit my previous comment, so I want to clarify what I meant when I said:
    I'm always amused to see someone who just joined say THR last week who has a higher comment count than I do after several years...
    I wasn't intending to slam those who have contributed a lot to this board or any other through lots of comments. Not at all. Rather, I was observing my own tendency towards being a lurker - only posting now and then, even though I may hang around a given board a lot. It amuses me that I am this way, given that I am a fairly prolific writer in other venues.

Cheers to all -

Jim D.

I was observing my own tendency towards being a lurker
    For me it is just the opposite.

I am more "reserved" in other places.

Thanks again for the link and for all you've done. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Links