HST at ATG

HST at ATG

This is a discussion on HST at ATG within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, with all of the talk about HST--ATG also has Tactical Hydra Shok. Different product numbers. What's the difference between this and HST?...

Thread: HST at ATG

HST at ATG

OK, with all of the talk about HST--ATG also has Tactical Hydra Shok. Different product numbers. What's the difference between this and HST?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    HST is the replacement for HydraShok in terms of Law Enforcement ammunition. Yes, HydraSuk still exists and has not been canceled as an offering. It seems to have been relegated now more to public self defense ammo (which should be evident by the higher price). HST is rumored to be Law Enforcement only.

HydraShok is older technology and has been shown inferior to HST in ballistics tests. HydraShok has seen some problems with penetration and expansion particularly through clothing.

Physically you can see the difference in the two rounds.

I buy HST from ATG and will continue to do so until I cannot get it anymore or I find out Federals policy is to restrict this ammo from teh public. I will, at that point, boycott Federal products.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Hydra-Shok rounds have a little pin in the center, while HST is a more "plain" hollow point. Federal should have images of either on their website to compare.

Edit: And I believe HST is short for "Hydra Shok Two". As in Version 2.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Would you like to get shot with HydraShock? It is so bad why it has in 45 ACP 94% one shot stop rating?
    Of course I would NOT use it in 9mm, because they are better choices right now. But in my 1911 commander 45 ACP they shoot great.
    I still have a few boxes left to shoot.
    Vodek

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Edit: And I believe HST is short for "Hydra Shok Two". As in Version 2.
    I believe HST stands for "Hi-Shok Two." They're not related to Hydra-Shoks. The Forgotten Child-Federal Hi-Shoks..anybody uses them?? - THR

Quote Originally Posted by vodekz View Post
    Would you like to get shot with HydraShock? It is so bad why it has in 45 ACP 94% one shot stop rating?
    Of course I would NOT use it in 9mm, because they are better choices right now. But in my 1911 commander 45 ACP they shoot great.
    I still have a few boxes left to shoot.
    Vodek
    Uhmm...no I dont believe I would like to get shot by them However, that doesnt mean they aren't still inferior to HST in any caliber. There are better choices than HydraSuks in .45acp as well as 9mm.

Shooting great doesnt mean better ballistics. Just because they feed great and may be accurate doesnt' mean they have better ballistics as to vicitm incapacitation/penetration.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

ammo

tested both the Hydra Shok and HST at the gunshop. They are different technology. The HST is a spin off of the Gold Dot, don't forget Federal is part of ATK. The HST is a Gold Dot with a conventional cup and core jacket insted of an electroplated coating. I still carry Hydra Shok in 9mm (124gr). In .45 I use Gold saber, Hydra Shok, or HST in 230gr, whatever happens to be in stock at the time I need to load up. All have a proven record on the street, and there's just not that much difference between them to worry about it.

Superhouse15, well said.
    Totally agree. This was my point.
    Vodek

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The HST is a spin off of the Gold Dot, don't forget Federal is part of ATK. The HST is a Gold Dot with a conventional cup and core jacket insted of an electroplated coating.
    I didnt think the Gold Dots had the core serrations like HST?

Gold Dot

I have some pictures of the HSts and Gold Dots we shot into wet newspaper at the gunshop. They are the same except for the jacket. If you look carefully in the bottom of the expanded HST, you can see a little star / asterisk shaped mark. If you look in the bottom of the Gold Dot, you will see the same mark in the little circle of jacket (the Gold Dot that gives them the name) thats left over.

I'll try to find pics.

Google images:
    http://www.btfh.net/shoot/images/bul...147-nickle.jpg
    http://www.firearmsid.com/Bullets/im...ages%20015.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99...r/PICT0122.jpg
    http://www.btfh.net/shoot/images/bul...er/hst-147.jpg

Sponsored Links