New gun, need an ammo source that's not an arm & a leg

This is a discussion on New gun, need an ammo source that's not an arm & a leg within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, just bought the S&W M460XVR & I'd like to start shooting my first cylinders of 45 Colt, 454 Casull and of course full house ...

Thread: New gun, need an ammo source that's not an arm & a leg

Question New gun, need an ammo source that's not an arm & a leg

Okay, just bought the S&W M460XVR & I'd like to start shooting my first cylinders of 45 Colt, 454 Casull and of course full house 460. Does anybody have a source for these rounds? Does anybody know of a source for factory reloads?
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Unless you have unlimited cash, you should really think about getting into reloading. Even the lowliest of your choices (45 Colt) isn't cheap. Just bullets and brass for reloading are going to be a huge expense and the amount of powder you can cram in that 460 case will eat up a pound of powder real fast.

Ammunition to Go has factory ammo for all three calibers.
    460 S&W ranges from $24.75 to $59.95 per 20
    454 Casull ranges from $27.95 to $48.95 per 20
    45 Colt gives you a better selection. Cheapest is:
    _____50rds - 45 Long Colt MAGTECH Cowboy 250gr. Lead Flat Nose Ammo $27.95
    You can find factory ammo in several locations. Even Midway has a fair selection for the 460 but it runs as high as $82.99 for Cor-Bon Hunting Ammunition 460 S&W Magnum 325 Grain Bonded Core Soft Point Box of 20.

To just be able to shoot the gun, the 45 Colt is going to be your cheapest selection. Here are a couple of links that I got from the SASS links page:
    Ten-X does offer a reloading service but only for the 45 Colt (of the 3 calibers you can fire).

Georgia Arms shows ammo for the 45 Colt and 454 Casull but only in new ammo, none of their reloaded ammunition.

If you do decide to try reloading, Starline Brass offers brass for all three cartridges and I've yet to find anyone cheaper on new brass than buying straight from Starline (their prices include shipping to the lower 48).

Best of luck with the new shooter.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Ex.. I am guessing next IDPA match you'll be shooting SSR?

I have to agree with Hoss... reloading will be your best bet to save money.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

OK, folks, I just got 40rds of 454 Casull from Natchez for about $44 minus shipping which brings the total to a shade over $55. I do not intend to shoot this thing as much as I shoot my EDC 9mm, for sure and I am going to be telling folks that for the purposes of Birthdays (upcoming) and next Christmas and Father's Day, I'd be liking some of the 460 Hornady. Right now Natchez is out of the 460 Hornady which is advertised at $23 for 20rds. The high powered Cor-Bon DPX is running $55 for 20.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ammunition To Go has 460 Hornady for $24 each (20rds) and I just bought two boxes. With shipping it cost me exactly as much as the natchez order for the 454 Casull. Okay, I'm done for awhile.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

460 S&W ranges from $24.75 to $59.95 per 20
    454 Casull ranges from $27.95 to $48.95 per 20
    45 Colt gives you a better selection. Cheapest is:
    _____50rds - 45 Long Colt MAGTECH Cowboy 250gr. Lead Flat Nose Ammo $27.95[/INDENT]
    460 but it runs as high as $82.99 for Cor-Bon Hunting Ammunition 460 S&W Magnum 325 Grain Bonded Core Soft Point Box of 20.

Hoss

Ouch! Those prices almost hurt. Might as well shoot .50 BMG
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Wink ummmmm nope

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Ouch! Those prices almost hurt. Might as well shoot .50 BMG
    Yeah I'd almost agree with you except I REALLY couldn't even get close to affording the price of a weapon that launches a 50 BMG!

Wink Yup.....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Ex.. I am guessing next IDPA match you'll be shooting SSR?
    Yeah, I guess. But I remember a long time ago (before you even came to the club) when I was the only guy shooting a 9mm Hi-Power. That meant I automatically took 1st, 2nd & 3rd places every match!

+2 on ammuntiontogo.com

Just bought 250 rounds of 40 cal and 100 rounds of 38 special from them, they have the cheapest prices around. Cheaperthandirt and Midway are double.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    ......... and I am going to be telling folks that for the purposes of Birthdays (upcoming) and next Christmas and Father's Day, I'd be liking some of the 460 Hornady. ..............
    Now that sounds like a plan.

One I forgot to mention was Mid-South Shooters Supply. I just looked and they may be a dollar or so a box cheaper than your Natchez ammo. They may be worth you taking a look at. Here's their:

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Okay, in the last 48 hours I have spent just about $150 (including shipping) on exactly 100 rds of ammo. I just bought 20 rds of 454 Casull from RBCD Performance Plus, Inc. Ammunition for $39. Including the shipping the cost was $50 even. RBCD ain't plinkin' ammo! That stuff is going to be my last ditch T-Rex load. I figure I'll stop my panic buying at a minimum of 250 rds as the big "O" unleashes his slate of gun bans and ammo taxes. Or if he's got too much to worry about in the middle east, I'll keep going until I get 500rds: 250 each 454 Casull and 460 XVR.

My FFL just e-mailed me today and the gun came in! I'm picking it up on Saturday.

Sponsored Links