Stockpiling Ammo - Page 3

Stockpiling Ammo

This is a discussion on Stockpiling Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy Now my question to you is why so many and so much? Do you really plan to carry 12 handguns and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stockpiling Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Now my question to you is why so many and so much? Do you really plan to carry 12 handguns and seven or eight long guns into a fight if the SHTF? IMO you need to keep it simple. One or two (long and short) weapons you really trust and enough ammo to get through ONE real barn burner of a fight, or two or three small ones. If it comes down to more than that there will be plenty of guns and ammo just lying around.
    First off, when/if SHTF, I'm not running, I am out in the woods on a partially populated lake, it is perfect. Secondly, if I see a good deal on ammo, I buy it. The same with components. Shoot, the same with guns. Thirdly, I really like reloading, it keeps me sane. After that, is it so wrong to have a lot of guns and keep ammo for them? Lastly, I would like to be able to arm anyone that headed my way, like family and friends and apparently dripster is coming over too.

Besides all that, I love to target shoot. I try not to deplete my stores, but thats what they are there for. I have so much because if I dip into 1000 rounds of .223, I don;t really care. I'll reload the cases or buy some more when they go back on sale. I also intend to hunt with these guns, not just defend the fortress.

Got to have it man I'm ADDICTED

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    First off, when/if SHTF, I'm not running, I am out in the woods on a partially populated lake, it is perfect. Secondly, if I see a good deal on ammo, I buy it. The same with components. Shoot, the same with guns. Thirdly, I really like reloading, it keeps me sane. After that, is it so wrong to have a lot of guns and keep ammo for them? Lastly, I would like to be able to arm anyone that headed my way, like family and friends and apparently dripster is coming over too.

Besides all that, I love to target shoot. I try not to deplete my stores, but thats what they are there for. I have so much because if I dip into 1000 rounds of .223, I don;t really care. I'll reload the cases or buy some more when they go back on sale. I also intend to hunt with these guns, not just defend the fortress.
    To answer you question, no I don't think it's wrong. But the OP asked:

How much self defense ammo do you have stockpiled
    And while in a pinch all ammo can be used for self defense, you listed over thirty thousand rounds for more than ten calibers. My point in quoting you was not to flame, but to point out that less is more sometimes. I think it's best to pick two or three "best guns" and practice with them like crazy. Keep 500 to 1000 rds of "the good stuff" on hand as that will be all you'll ever need short of a full blown war. I agree with you about family and friends showing up, but again it would be better to have 10 guns in one caliber (including theirs) than 20 different types with a mix and match of ammo and supplies. JMO
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Big 5 sports was selling the M1 carbine (30-30) for around $500 during the holidays. They will sometimes offer their best deal anytime on some items, you could ask. That would be a very reliable carbine. I picked-up a RRA M4 with the quad rail for $900 last year from hit-n-run in Norcross, GA over the phone in March last year. That wasn't too expensive.

~1000 Rds FMJ .223 with 3 30 rd mags
    ~700 .40 S&W fmj with 4 12 rd mags
    ~100 .40 S&W assorted JHP
    ~700 .45 ACP fmj
    ~50 .45 ACP JHP
    ~500 .22LR
    ~90 12 GA bird shot
    3 slugs 12 GA
    ~15 assorted knives
    1 bayonet
    2 jeeps (need to buy a .50 cal class III to mount)
    2 motorcycles (I just need to find a joisting pole)

...M1 carbine (30-30)...

Do you mean .30 Carbine?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I don't really have that much for ammo, but IIRC,

Maybe 300-350 rounds of 7.62x39

About 120 rounds of .223

150-170 rounds of 9mm

80 rounds of .45 ACP

I know my Dad has over 500 rounds of Wolf .223, so if it came down to it, I would use it in my M&P15. I will do what I can to avoid it though.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

THE “BLUES” SPREAD THE BLUES…AGAIN
    January 7th, 2009 by Mas

Massad Ayoob

When was it, exactly, that the left became the “blues” and everyone else became the “reds”? I was from that generation that grew up huddling under elementary school desks in “atomic bomb drills” and being told by teachers that Communism was evil, and now folks like me are called “Reds” ?!?!?

A new “blue” scheme currently underway (yes, founder Dave Duffy has checked it out, and assures us it is true) is the already drafted Ammunition Accountability Act. You can read about it here.

Let’s think about that. The technology to make ammunition “accountable,” – cartridge by cartridge, shell by shell, casing by casing, projectile for projectile – is largely vaporware and almost entirely unproven. It will be hugely expensive. Affordable ammunition for practice, competition, hunting and home defense will become a thing of the past.

Notice also the very early expiration date at which all previously owned “old, low-tech” ammo would become illegal to possess. One must ask, what would the law abiding citizen do with it? It could not be sold. Property lawfully purchased and responsibly owned would become contraband: there would be huge ex post facto issues here, and some serious Constitutional issues as well. And that’s before we start looking at vast collective tonnage of “hazardous materials” that some Governmental entity would be responsible for storing or destroying. Did any of the idiots who drafted this stuff even discuss the ramifications with EPA and OSHA?

If, like most rural folks, you’re a gun owner, you’ve found an old box of ammo or maybe just a single cartridge in an unexpected, forgotten place. After a certain date, if this BS becomes law, that would make you a law-breaker. Roughly half of our population – far more than half in rural areas – owns or have owned guns and ammunition, which means that if such laws come to pass, they will unnecessarily criminalize half of our citizenry.

Look this stuff up. Find out if yours is one of the states that might put you in the crosshairs of this insanity. And start writing every elected official (and appointed official, such as chiefs of police who would have to enforce this stupidity) and let them know where you stand.

This drafted legislation reaches a literally mind-boggling level of ignorance and foolishness, and if it goes unchallenged, the “blues” will have a lot of us “singing the blues.”

Man, I like Massad!
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    And while in a pinch all ammo can be used for self defense, you listed over thirty thousand rounds for more than ten calibers. My point in quoting you was not to flame, but to point out that less is more sometimes. I think it's best to pick two or three "best guns" and practice with them like crazy. Keep 500 to 1000 rds of "the good stuff" on hand as that will be all you'll ever need short of a full blown war. I agree with you about family and friends showing up, but again it would be better to have 10 guns in one caliber (including theirs) than 20 different types with a mix and match of ammo and supplies. JMO
    In that case, heres the edited list, based on the guns that I would use for self defense:

30-06 - 1400 FMJ ((2) M1 Garand)
    .223 - 5000 FMJ/JHP (BAR, CAR, Mini-14)
    12ga - 400 Buck/Slug (Win Pump, Moss Pump, Rem Semi)
    20ga - 300 Buck/Slug (Moss Pump)
    9mm - 3000 JHP (S&W 669 6909, SR9, P89, PC9)
    .357mag - 600 JSP/JHP ((3)GP100)
    .45acp - 400 JHP (1911)

So lets see, The Garands can share clips, the BAR and CAR can share mags, the 669 and 6909 share mags, the p89 and PC9 share mags, the GP100s share speed loaders, and in a pinch, I can run the 9mm stuff through the .357s with moon clips.

None of these guns are safe queens, they all get their fair share of range time. However, practice with anything makes you better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    In that case, heres the edited list, based on the guns that I would use for self defense:

30-06 - 1400 FMJ ((2) M1 Garand)
    .223 - 5000 FMJ/JHP (BAR, CAR, Mini-14)
    12ga - 400 Buck/Slug (Win Pump, Moss Pump, Rem Semi)
    20ga - 300 Buck/Slug (Moss Pump)
    9mm - 3000 JHP (S&W 669 6909, SR9, P89, PC9)
    .357mag - 600 JSP/JHP ((3)GP100)
    .45acp - 400 JHP (1911)

So lets see, The Garands can share clips, the BAR and CAR can share mags, the 669 and 6909 share mags, the p89 and PC9 share mags, the GP100s share speed loaders, and in a pinch, I can run the 9mm stuff through the .357s with moon clips.

None of these guns are safe queens, they all get their fair share of range time. However, practice with anything makes you better.
    Ok now I'm convinced. I'll come to your house too if the SHTF. But can I bring some of my own toys?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thumbs up Try this??!!

I have a Charter arms Det, Spc. .38 and a Colt Python . 38 & .357. Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine and also an M1 Carbine. I have a Springfield XD40 and an XD40 subcompact. 2 each Marlin 60's, 18 shoters .22 lr.and Henry Survival A7 with 10 mags. Ruger Mark II lr with 10 Mags. I like to have several firearms that use the same ammo. I also have 10 round mags for my Remington Model Four .270 cal and Rem 788 in .308 not to mention 3each 12 gauge shotguns. If the SHTF, I have stocked up.

8000 rds of 22LR
    5000 rds of .30 carbine
    6000 rds of .38.
    5000 rds of .40
    3000 rds of .12 gauge of various shot.
    I really hope we don't ever have to use that much for home defense but I will defend my rights with my life.

Two questions: (Hope I'm not too off topic with them)

One, how do you like your Charter Arms? I am considering getting one of the new rimless revolvers for 45 or 9mm when they are available.

Two, how do you like your XD Subcompact? I have had some misfeeds with my XD9 sub which I have not with the 45 Compact, rendering it less than perfect for carry.

Thanks.

well I normally re-load with my grandpa, but since he is in Florida for several months I went to the store to add to my stock. currently on hand:

Rem 223/5.56 - 500rds
    45 ACP - 500rds
    9mm - 200rds
    38 special - 200rds
    2 cases of shotgun shells (00 and #9)

soon as I get back into reloading I have enough supplies to do a 1000rds in each above caliber.....
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    THE “BLUES” SPREAD THE BLUES…AGAIN
    January 7th, 2009 by Mas

Massad Ayoob

After a certain date, if this BS becomes law, that would make you a law-breaker. Roughly half of our population – far more than half in rural areas – owns or have owned guns and ammunition, which means that if such laws come to pass, they will unnecessarily criminalize half of our citizenry.

This drafted legislation reaches a literally mind-boggling level of ignorance and foolishness, and if it goes unchallenged, the “blues” will have a lot of us “singing the blues.”
    This is exactly what happened when I purchased a Striker Shotgun (modeled like the Street Sweeper). I saw it in a magazine and since the factory was nearby I had them make me one, with my initials as the serial number +001. It was fantastic! I never shot it, keeping it as a collectors item.

Well, then comes along Clinton. His assault weapon ban did me in. I thought I was grandfathered. Found out (after the two year window) that I was now a felon and couldn't keep the gun I purchased legally less than 8 years prior. B ***** s!

Gun is destroyed and I will never vote for another Democrat again. Even after they repealed the law, that particular gun made me an outlaw.

Yes, for all those who think they can't do this, they can! You will be a law-abiding citizen one day and the next, jail-time if they decide. A felony for cryin' out loud.
    B ***** s!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    It is a good idea to stock-up. However, what I have is best known only to me, myself, and I.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links