Defensive Carry banner

Stockpiling Ammo

8K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  AllAmerican 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok here is a question for you guys.

How much self defense ammo do you have stockpiled for your handguns.

Glock 23- 300 rounds of 180 grain Golden Saber

Glock 19- 325 rounds of 124 grain+p Golden Saber Bonded

S&W 38 special- 130 rounds of 135 grain+p Gold Dot short barrel.

Did I order enough? I do shoot Bi-weekly so this is purely for Self Defense. :thinking:

#2 ·
Better than nothing, its a start.

Remember that you can only carry so much.

If you have to use any, and you live through several mag fulls or cylinders you have done well.

But consider this...
In a SHTF scenario, you really dont want to have to rely on a handgun. In a war, if you are using your handgun you are in a serious world of hurt.

You need to start on rifle ammo.

#8 ·
OK, now I need a rifle???? I've only been a pistol owner for about a year and a half. Where should I start? Don't tell me an AR because we all know how easy they are to get.
I'd tell you to get an AK but they arent really any easier to get right now.

Any autoloader would work in a pinch. Even the old lever action 30-30 that you can top off pretty quickly is better than nothing.

#12 ·
Ok here is a question for you guys.

How much self defense ammo do you have stockpiled for your handguns.

Glock 23- 300 rounds of 180 grain Golden Saber

Glock 19- 325 rounds of 124 grain+p Golden Saber Bonded

S&W 38 special- 130 rounds of 135 grain+p Gold Dot short barrel.

Did I order enough? I do not shoot often so this is purely for Self Defense. :thinking:
And you carry? You don't shoot often? Purely for SD. Interesting. No further comment.

#14 ·
Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Yes - you should have a long gun for self-defense. Several training classes offer force-on-force and defensive long gun training. Part of what they cover is how ineffective handguns are for most situations. I'm sure a visit to the rifle/shotgun section of the boards would be in order for the best type long gun for you. I would also suggest picking up 'Boston's Gun Bible'.

#17 ·
So far, I've got:
45ACP- 100 rounds
9mm 100 rounds
.223 3100

I just got an AK47 for Christmas, and I have 500 rounds of 7.62X 39 on order. I also bought recently a Socom II in .308. So far, I've just got 50 rounds of .308. I want to add more, but having just been laid off, it may be awhile. I still have 2 months of income from my job, along with a week's severance and vacation time in addition. I'm expecting a large check, so I'll get extra ammo as well as a couple of new guns with it. My goal is 5000 rounds per caliber (I have 3 0mm and 2 45ACP handguns. Once I reach that level, I'll try for 5000 rounds per weapon.

#19 ·
i would now start on the long gun ammo. when things go bad you want a long gun, rifle and/or shotgun. i would also get a boat load of 22lr ammo and a 22lr rifle. cheap and easy and hard to beat when things go real bad.

#20 ·
All ammo can be considered self defense ammo in a pinch. Even the lowly .22 CB cap would hurt like hell if shot with it.

If you are on a tight budget, I would suggest that you buy a box or two of the best you can afford for EDC and then stock up on less expensive stuff for practice and emergency use if you run out of the good stuff.

Wise advice above about laying in a really good supply of .22LR ammo. It is cheap,plentiful, and will work in a SHTF situation.(pretty good for feeding your family too).

#21 ·
Without digging up/out my SHTF stores, I have:

30-06 - ~3200 (about 50% handloads)
30-30 - 2000 (Mostly handloads)
.223 - 5000 (1500 Handloads)
12ga - 1100 (700 Birdshot/Target, 300 00Buck, 100 Slug)
20ga - 800 (500 Birdshot/Target, 200 #2Buck, 100 Slug)
9mm - ??6000?? (maybe more, I dumped them in bins instead of keeping all the boxes, 4000 Handloads)
38spl - 800 (700 handloads)
.357mag - 1000 (500 Handloads, rifle and handgun)
.44mag - 600 (200 handloads)
.45acp - 1000 (500 handloads, My newest addition, so still adding, 500pcs of empty brass will be loaded by the end of the week)
.22mag - 500 Rounds
.22lr - 10000? I have about 3000 in boxes/cases, the rest is federal bulk back that I started dumping into buckets.

Lots of other stuff kicking around, 25acp, 32 acp, .327 fed mag, .32 h&r mag, 40s&w(I should have more of this, but not really a big fan of the 40), 45lc, 454Casull, 45-70, .308, 25-06, .32spl, 10ga, 16ga, .410, and guns to shoot them all.

BTW, all the hand loading was done on a single stage press, the rock chucker, save 2000 9mm and 400 45acp which were done on my new RCBS Pro2000.

#29 ·
I thought about stocking up on ammunition out of fear that restrictions are coming. I read that the govt wanted to start legislation to encode ammunition and to make all non encoded ammo illegal, I thought it was only talk until I ran across a post about the Ammunition Accountability Act. This was the link that was posted but I dont know if it still works.
http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

#30 ·
That bill was tabled in most of the states it was introduced. I dont give a **** about ammo encoding I am not giving up my ammo. Judged by 12 than carried by 6. It is unclear whether this bill will make it, but if it does I am not complying.

#34 ·
Big 5 sports was selling the M1 carbine (30-30) for around $500 during the holidays. They will sometimes offer their best deal anytime on some items, you could ask. That would be a very reliable carbine. I picked-up a RRA M4 with the quad rail for $900 last year from hit-n-run in Norcross, GA over the phone in March last year. That wasn't too expensive.

~1000 Rds FMJ .223 with 3 30 rd mags
~700 .40 S&W fmj with 4 12 rd mags
~100 .40 S&W assorted JHP
~700 .45 ACP fmj
~50 .45 ACP JHP
~500 .22LR
~90 12 GA bird shot
3 slugs 12 GA
~15 assorted knives
1 bayonet
2 jeeps (need to buy a .50 cal class III to mount)
2 motorcycles (I just need to find a joisting pole)

#36 ·
I don't really have that much for ammo, but IIRC,

Maybe 300-350 rounds of 7.62x39

About 120 rounds of .223

150-170 rounds of 9mm

80 rounds of .45 ACP

I know my Dad has over 500 rounds of Wolf .223, so if it came down to it, I would use it in my M&P15. I will do what I can to avoid it though.

#37 ·
THE “BLUES” SPREAD THE BLUES…AGAIN
January 7th, 2009 by Mas

Massad Ayoob

When was it, exactly, that the left became the “blues” and everyone else became the “reds”? I was from that generation that grew up huddling under elementary school desks in “atomic bomb drills” and being told by teachers that Communism was evil, and now folks like me are called “Reds” ?!?!?

A new “blue” scheme currently underway (yes, founder Dave Duffy has checked it out, and assures us it is true) is the already drafted Ammunition Accountability Act. You can read about it here.

Let’s think about that. The technology to make ammunition “accountable,” – cartridge by cartridge, shell by shell, casing by casing, projectile for projectile – is largely vaporware and almost entirely unproven. It will be hugely expensive. Affordable ammunition for practice, competition, hunting and home defense will become a thing of the past.

Notice also the very early expiration date at which all previously owned “old, low-tech” ammo would become illegal to possess. One must ask, what would the law abiding citizen do with it? It could not be sold. Property lawfully purchased and responsibly owned would become contraband: there would be huge ex post facto issues here, and some serious Constitutional issues as well. And that’s before we start looking at vast collective tonnage of “hazardous materials” that some Governmental entity would be responsible for storing or destroying. Did any of the idiots who drafted this stuff even discuss the ramifications with EPA and OSHA?

If, like most rural folks, you’re a gun owner, you’ve found an old box of ammo or maybe just a single cartridge in an unexpected, forgotten place. After a certain date, if this BS becomes law, that would make you a law-breaker. Roughly half of our population – far more than half in rural areas – owns or have owned guns and ammunition, which means that if such laws come to pass, they will unnecessarily criminalize half of our citizenry.

Look this stuff up. Find out if yours is one of the states that might put you in the crosshairs of this insanity. And start writing every elected official (and appointed official, such as chiefs of police who would have to enforce this stupidity) and let them know where you stand.

This drafted legislation reaches a literally mind-boggling level of ignorance and foolishness, and if it goes unchallenged, the “blues” will have a lot of us “singing the blues.”

#44 ·
THE “BLUES” SPREAD THE BLUES…AGAIN
January 7th, 2009 by Mas

Massad Ayoob

After a certain date, if this BS becomes law, that would make you a law-breaker. Roughly half of our population – far more than half in rural areas – owns or have owned guns and ammunition, which means that if such laws come to pass, they will unnecessarily criminalize half of our citizenry.

This drafted legislation reaches a literally mind-boggling level of ignorance and foolishness, and if it goes unchallenged, the “blues” will have a lot of us “singing the blues.”
This is exactly what happened when I purchased a Striker Shotgun (modeled like the Street Sweeper). I saw it in a magazine and since the factory was nearby I had them make me one, with my initials as the serial number +001. It was fantastic! I never shot it, keeping it as a collectors item.

Well, then comes along Clinton. His assault weapon ban did me in. I thought I was grandfathered. Found out (after the two year window) that I was now a felon and couldn't keep the gun I purchased legally less than 8 years prior. B ***** s!

Gun is destroyed and I will never vote for another Democrat again. Even after they repealed the law, that particular gun made me an outlaw.

Yes, for all those who think they can't do this, they can! You will be a law-abiding citizen one day and the next, jail-time if they decide. A felony for cryin' out loud.
B ***** s!

#41 ·
Try this??!!

I have a Charter arms Det, Spc. .38 and a Colt Python . 38 & .357. Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine and also an M1 Carbine. I have a Springfield XD40 and an XD40 subcompact. 2 each Marlin 60's, 18 shoters .22 lr.and Henry Survival A7 with 10 mags. Ruger Mark II lr with 10 Mags. I like to have several firearms that use the same ammo. I also have 10 round mags for my Remington Model Four .270 cal and Rem 788 in .308 not to mention 3each:rolleyes: 12 gauge shotguns. If the SHTF, I have stocked up.

8000 rds of 22LR
5000 rds of .30 carbine
6000 rds of .38.
5000 rds of .40
3000 rds of .12 gauge of various shot.
I really hope we don't ever have to use that much for home defense but I will defend my rights with my life.

#42 ·
Two questions: (Hope I'm not too off topic with them)

One, how do you like your Charter Arms? I am considering getting one of the new rimless revolvers for 45 or 9mm when they are available.

Two, how do you like your XD Subcompact? I have had some misfeeds with my XD9 sub which I have not with the 45 Compact, rendering it less than perfect for carry.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.