LCP ammo question

This is a discussion on LCP ammo question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some buffalo bore gold dots, some personal defense hydroshocks, and new hornady critical defense laying around. All are reliable and accurate. Which would ...

Thread: LCP ammo question

LCP ammo question

I have some buffalo bore gold dots, some personal defense hydroshocks, and new hornady critical defense laying around. All are reliable and accurate. Which would be the best in a defensive situation, probably penetrating some clothing?

2. Remove Ads

I know I'll get crucified for this and I'm not looking for debate as this is MY OPINION ONLY, but I don't feel comfortable with the BB 380+P ammo in an LCP. There is no SAAMI +P rating for a 380. I may consider the +P ammo in my Browning or Beretta or a Sig (if I had one), but the tiny LCP just doesn't seem up to a diet of that.

I currently carry Remington Golder Sabers but the next order I place to ATG, I'm switching to the Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Penetrating "some" clothing here in FL may be different than what you need. Through a couple layers of T shirt there is no real difference in expansion for the rounds we tested at the gunshop. We fired a bunch of stuff into wet newspaper, unfortunately, I can't find the pics. Most of the employees carry Kel Tec .380s with Gold Saber. If you need to penetrate a lot of winter clothes or more than 3 or so layers of cloth, that's what the Hornady stuff was designed for.

Be sure you test them out with your LCP. For my wifes LCP I originally bought her corbon bullets, which is what i always carry in my guns, but they did not feed reliably. I shot enough remington gold saber through the gun without error to feel comfortable with her carrying those.

I use Hornady's Critical Defense for my carry ammo. I can't afford to shoot it on my weekly range trips, but I try to fire an average of one box per month of the HCD. Most of the other ammo I use is WWB.
    SA 1911 9mm, Ruger LCP, EMP9, M&P45, LWRC 6.8SCP

Semper Fi...

Links