Shotgun Ammo--Buckshot - Page 3

Shotgun Ammo--Buckshot

This is a discussion on Shotgun Ammo--Buckshot within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't seen this listed on this thread which is amazing.. Just pattern your shotgun once with this ammo and you'll be sold. Using 00 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I haven't seen this listed on this thread which is amazing.. Just pattern your shotgun once with this ammo and you'll be sold.

Using 00 buck at 10 yards and in and you have the same results as a slug, 15 to almost 20 yards and you can still cover the pattern with a DVD disk. I shot a man sized target at 50 yards and had 7 of 9 pellets in the target.

This is from DTI's John Farnam's Quips - Year 2007

Field-use of Federal Flight-Control 00 Buckshot:
    09 Sept 07

Field use of Federal 12ga Flight-Control Buckshot, from a range officer with a large Midwestern PD:

"Last week, one of our patrol officers confronted a single, armed, robbery suspect at a range of ten meters. When the suspect made threatening verbalizations and gestures, the officer fired a single shot from his department-issued Remington 870. The round was Federal Flight-Control 00 Buckshot.

The tight cluster of 00 pellets struck the suspect in the right side of his hip. He went right down, offering no further resistance. At the hospital, attending sturgeons asked if the suspect had been hit with a slug. We assured them that it was a single, buckshot round.

X-rays revealed that several pellets were still in the suspects's body, but that most had transverse-penetrated and subsequently exited. Tissue destruction was copious, so much so that the suspect's right leg had to be amputated at the hip. He is expected to survive, but has obviously sustained permanent, disabling/disfiguring injury.

We are most please with this round's fight-stopping ability. This suspect went from dangerous/threatening to meek/crippled, all in less than a second!"

Comment: It is difficult to imagine a better fight-stopping effect than described in the foregoing. Federal's new wad technology represents a pivotal improvement in shotshell performance, breathing new life into the "old-standby" police shotgun. Something we all need to look at seriously!

/John
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    I haven't seen this listed on this thread which is amazing.. Just pattern your shotgun once with this ammo and you'll be sold.

Using 00 buck at 10 yards and in and you have the same results as a slug, 15 to almost 20 yards and you can still cover the pattern with a DVD disk. I shot a man sized target at 50 yards and had 7 of 9 pellets in the target.

This is from DTI's John Farnam's Quips - Year 2007

Field-use of Federal Flight-Control 00 Buckshot:
    09 Sept 07

Field use of Federal 12ga Flight-Control Buckshot, from a range officer with a large Midwestern PD:

"Last week, one of our patrol officers confronted a single, armed, robbery suspect at a range of ten meters. When the suspect made threatening verbalizations and gestures, the officer fired a single shot from his department-issued Remington 870. The round was Federal Flight-Control 00 Buckshot.

The tight cluster of 00 pellets struck the suspect in the right side of his hip. He went right down, offering no further resistance. At the hospital, attending sturgeons asked if the suspect had been hit with a slug. We assured them that it was a single, buckshot round.

X-rays revealed that several pellets were still in the suspects's body, but that most had transverse-penetrated and subsequently exited. Tissue destruction was copious, so much so that the suspect's right leg had to be amputated at the hip. He is expected to survive, but has obviously sustained permanent, disabling/disfiguring injury.

We are most please with this round's fight-stopping ability. This suspect went from dangerous/threatening to meek/crippled, all in less than a second!"

Comment: It is difficult to imagine a better fight-stopping effect than described in the foregoing. Federal's new wad technology represents a pivotal improvement in shotshell performance, breathing new life into the "old-standby" police shotgun. Something we all need to look at seriously!

/John
    I've been eyeballing the Federal 00 for HD use with my Saiga 12. The price is attractive and the reviews are great. I understand Hornady uses Flitecontrol or something similar in their 12ga TAP ammo. Is the Hornady worth the extra $$ over the Federal? The Hornady comes as low recoil where the Federal LE 00 can be had in low or standard recoil. I'm assuming low recoil is sufficient and probably best for a HD situation.

I started another thread about the Federal vs Hornady over in the shotgun forum so sorry if I'm doubling up here.

Yes Hornady does use a flight control was also.

I would recommend patterning your shotgun with both and choose based on your needs (with home defense Low recoil should be OK, your not shooting farther than a hallway or room length), the pattern you like the best. (some like a tighter pattern and some like some spread) and your budget.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Make sure whatever ammo you use you take not of the general pattern of shot out of your shotgun at certain distances, pretty handy thing to know for defense and shooting in general.

A little late, but if I had to choose one 00 buck would be it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Where are the above Federal and Hornady rounds available? The above rounds I bought are just too hyped on steroids providing too much recoil.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    Where are the above Federal and Hornady rounds available? The above rounds I bought are just too hyped on steroids providing too much recoil.
    Tactical Defense Solutions
    Tactical Defense Solutions - Shotgun Ammo
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

ATG has the LE133 which is 00 8-shot reduced recoil. I would buy some but I still have 100 rds. of Hornady TAP 00 low recoil.

BUCKSHOT : Ammunition To Go

Thanks. ATG is where I bought the Noble Sport (Italian Police) rounds. Like I mentioned before, these rounds were on steroids. Wow!

00 buck is best for MOST SD situations. However, regardless of what you load you're shotgun with, within 25-30 ft. anything you shoot will be a solid mass (somewhat larger than a softball) when it strikes the target.

Sounds good to me. ATG has a good price on some LE 00 made for the Italian Caribineri and other police departments. I will use it for the range. Delivered, it would be about 70 cents/round. Remington and Winchester would be about $1 per round.
    Well, I finally got around to shooting the above Noble Sport ammo. It kicked me in the buttocks. Do not get me wrong, i have shot 00 Buck before without any issues. However, this stuff was on steroids.

I was wondering about the same thing; came across this:
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

they suggest #1 buck is the best for home defense, as it's less likely to penetrate walls, but still consistently penetrates 12" into gel.
    food for thought; I found some 3" shells w/ #1 for marginally more money than 00, but it's definitely not as ubiquitous as 00.

...interesting how the box o truth test shows very little penetration difference between #4 and 00.

What are you thoughts on 9 pellet 00 vs 12 pellet 00, or some of the short shells for more shot capacity?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links