Storage of loose .223 rounds...

This is a discussion on Storage of loose .223 rounds... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Home Shopping Network right? Contents..........pillow cases, blankets, towels, underwear, etc............? Actually, Wally World grocery aisle - right next to the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storage of loose .223 rounds...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Home Shopping Network right? Contents..........pillow cases, blankets, towels, underwear, etc............?
    Actually, Wally World grocery aisle - right next to the other ZipLoc bags.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Regular TV Commercial.

They have small food size ones now with a little hand operated vacuum pump included in the box.

They have not hit my little "Stuck Somewhere In The Twilight Zone" - "one square mile" borough yet though....so I've never actually seen them in real life yet.

I was thinking about getting a vacuum sealer for freezing food. I suppose it would be great for ammo too.

Senior Moderator
    I was thinking about getting a vacuum sealer for freezing food. I suppose it would be great for ammo too.
    I don't know why it wouldn't be. It would make it less bulky too. Not only that, but with little air in it the brass ought to stay nice and shiny forever.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    I steal my wife's tupperware....

The trick is, you have to take the lid first so she gets mad enough to throw the container out.

Now I know where all of my lids are going.

You don't need that nasty old ammo taking up all that space. Just PM me your address and I will be happy to come over get it out of your way!

I have used the Gladware that comes with sandwich meat, baby wipes boxes and even a large plastic laundry detergent box. For me the question is always "Why am I doing this?" If it is just to organize the armory the Gladware/pampers stuff is fine. It might not travel too well though. The vacuum bagging would be great for caching. If it is something that might be used in bugging out I would either go GI cans or some of the nice plastic ones from Bass Pro.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

For small lots of rifle rounds, I like to use the regular 20rd factory boxes, then vacuum seal the individual boxes using my food vacuum packer. The plastic pulls tight and squeezes the air out and keeps the ammo fresh inside its box. These can then be left on my shelves ready for quick use. they will stay shinny and fresh as long as the vacuum holds. Loose rounds poke a hole in the plastic, that is why I use the factory boxes. (You get them free at the local gun range)

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    When we have an extended cold/nasty weather period, I end up getting overstocked on .223 reloads. After I run out of boxes, I load them up into stripper clips and put them in those Folgers coffee cans somebody else was talking about.

Wait.....FIRST, I load up all my magazines, and THEN I do what I just described.

(If we ever have another winter like the one two years ago, I'll probably end up with a closet full of very heavy coffee cans.....)

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Gonz, I have over a thousand rounds of mixed 5.56 and .223, I keep them in a small clear trash bag, toss in a dessicant bag to keep any moisture out and put them in a box. I have found that the metal cans attract a lot of moisture at least up here in the NW.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links