.327 Mag vs. .38+P

This is a discussion on .327 Mag vs. .38+P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of getting either a Ruger or S&W 6 shot revolver in .327 Mag. I have a S&W 642 5 shot snub nose ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .327 Mag vs. .38+P

.327 Mag vs. .38+P

I am thinking of getting either a Ruger or S&W 6 shot revolver in .327 Mag. I have a S&W 642 5 shot snub nose in which I use .38+P ammo for self defense. I carry the 642 in a Mika pocket holster.

I would carry the .327 OWB, and read a review of the Ruger, which stated that the .327 Mag is more effective for self defense then the .38+p.

Anyone with the expertise to give me some imput on this.

Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

I ain't no expert, but the .357 comes in at the top of the one shot stop list, and it is more effective than the .38. The only problem I have with this caliber is "over penetration". Unless the bullet strikes a major bone it will probably pass thru the intended target. If that happens you might wind up hitting an un-intended target. I personally have not hunted deer with the .357, but I know folks that do. I have seen this bullet shoot thru a deer with ease on a quartering shot. IMHO, it might not be the best choice for SD. Again, IMHO, I would rather have a nice wheel gun in .44 spc., or maybe .45. These large caliber bullets move slow, and are less likely to shoot thru an intended target. Still, they do not rank at the top of the one shot stop list.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

The New .327 Federal Magnum in Rugerís SP101 Compact Six-Shot Revolver

is a good column regarding the new 327Ö

I own a Ruger SP101 in 357 and if I had to do it over again, I would again by the 357.

Reason: is I can shoot inexpensive 38-special for target pinking, and I know the 357 will never go away.

But hey, Iíve owned a wildcat before, and if you have the extra bucks why not.

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    I ain't no expert, but the .357 comes in at the top of the one shot stop list, and it is more effective than the .38. The only problem I have with this caliber is "over penetration". Unless the bullet strikes a major bone it will probably pass thru the intended target. If that happens you might wind up hitting an un-intended target. I personally have not hunted deer with the .357, but I know folks that do. I have seen this bullet shoot thru a deer with ease on a quartering shot. IMHO, it might not be the best choice for SD. Again, IMHO, I would rather have a nice wheel gun in .44 spc., or maybe .45. These large caliber bullets move slow, and are less likely to shoot thru an intended target. Still, they do not rank at the top of the one shot stop list.

Note that the question was with respect to the .327 mag not the .357....
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Ok, bringing us back on subject I'll say that while the .327 numbers look good it's still kinda rare. Even though the extra shot in the gun is a nice feature, and one more shot could make the difference, I'm still not sold. I'm intrigued but not sold. I've yet to see a .327 on the shelf of my local shops, but then again I haven't been looking for one. As to performance, I think it will do just fine. And we all know that shot placement is more important than the round used.

I think that the .327 could be great for CC but it has some drawbacks. Those being that there are few choices of handguns chambered in .327, price and availability of ammo.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Note that the question was with respect to the .327 mag not the .357....
    Sorry guys! Sometimes when you get old, your eye sight gets bad, and you can't read so well any more. At least that's the excuse I'm going to use. It sounds better than just plain being stupid!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

"...read a review of the Ruger, which stated that the .327 Mag is more effective for self defense then the .38+p."

Just because the review said it doesn't make it so.

I prefer the heavier, larger diameter bullet of the .38 Special +P. Besides, I hand load and the .38 Special can be one trick pony.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; January 13th, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

To quote Col. Cooper on another matter, but it's appropriate to this subject as well, "The solution to a non-existant problem."

Biker

Thanks for the imput. It was kind of what I thought, but was interested in more knowledgable opinions.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

One thing that interests me about the .327 mag. platform is the fact that other cartridges can be fired from the gun, ie. .32 H&R mag, .32 long, .32 short.

Recoil sensitive folks [my wife] can practice with a lesser round and then stoke it with the .327 mag. defense round.

If I run across a 3" model of some sort at a reasonable price I may give it a try, but I won't give up my 642!

Senior Moderator
    I try to avoid new calibers until they are around for a few decades.

I still don't have a 40 S&W to new
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Thing is, those that don't have one don't like the .327 and come up with all the cliche's.
    The .327 will out penetrate a .38 and a 125 gr .357.
    Will it out perform a .357 mag in self defence, nobody knows; but, view points are posted anyway.
    Will it out perform a .38 spl; my informal tests prove it will.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am also intrigued by this round. Love to hear a report if you pick one up.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I've been keeping an eye out for one of the SP101's, too. Have yet to see one on the shelf. It looks like a winner to me. Similar ballistics as the .357, less recoil and an extra round in the cylinder. What's not to like?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    I've been keeping an eye out for one of the SP101's, too. Have yet to see one on the shelf. It looks like a winner to me. Similar ballistics as the .357, less recoil and an extra round in the cylinder. What's not to like?
    Ammo price and availability. Not too many people are making them so not too many choices.
    Last edited by atctimmy; January 14th, 2009 at 08:07 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links