Walmart Ammo Supplies Dwindling (Merged) - Page 5

Walmart Ammo Supplies Dwindling (Merged)

This is a discussion on Walmart Ammo Supplies Dwindling (Merged) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; May sound crazy but Im starting to buy ammo in chambers I dont even own!...

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart Ammo Supplies Dwindling (Merged)

May sound crazy but Im starting to buy ammo in chambers I dont even own!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Exclamation Nope.....

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    May sound crazy but Im starting to buy ammo in chambers I dont even own!
    Not at all. In fact it may be prescient. In a barter economy, rounds may well be the most valuable commodity of all. Possibly worth more than the absolute king: GOLD.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

UPDATE!

Okay here is an update given by another poster from the original site where I first got this story. AGAIN, no sources or concrete links just another piece to the overall puzzle.

Is Wal-Mart's Shortage of Ammunition for Real? (A Personal Investigation)
    Me ^ | 1/19/09 | OB1kNOb
    Posted on January 19, 2009 1217 PM EST by OB1kNOb

A week or so ago I read in a FReeper thread where someone made the claim that Wal-Mart was running out of ammunition and apparently lacked the resources to restock it quickly. I thought to myself, surely this can't be true. Afterall, Wal-Mart is huge enough to have access to unlimited supply to anything they choose to sell. I mean, they are Wal-Mart.

So, this past weekend I decided to conduct my own investigation into this claim. On my way home from work Friday evening I stopped by three Wal-Mart's and visited their Sporting Goods (SG) department to buy some 9mm shells.

The first store I visited I made a bee-line for their SG dept. What I saw of their ammunition shelf behind the SG counter reminded me of the bread and milk aisles a day before a predicted snowstorm. Except for a few specialty shells it was basically bare. I was wanting to buy a box of 100 9mm shells, but all they had was one box of 50. That's strange, I thought, but surely one of the other two stores I planned to visit would have what I wanted in stock, so I preceded to the 2nd Wal-Mart store just a few short miles down the Interstate.

When I walked up to the 2nd SG dept. counter a young lady was there. I made a quick scan of the ammunition shelf behind the counter. It was the same as the first, pretty much empty. I asked the young lady if they would have a new shipment of 9mm shells in anytime soon. She shook her head and said "No, in fact the warehouse that supplies us told us to quit calling them and asking when they would have anymore ammunition to deliver."

Whoa! That response somewhat surprised me. Surely though my local store in a smaller town would still have what wanted. Au contraire. When I walked up to my local store's SG counter, I didn't even bother asking the clerk if they had what I was looking for. Their ammunition counter was emptier than the first two I visited.

By the time I got home, I decided that Saturday morning I would visit a couple more Wal-Mart stores in a neighboring city 20 miles away. The next day the 4th Wal-Mart I visited was the same - very little on the shelves, and no 9mm's. By now I was wishing I had bought the one box of 50 I had seen at the first store.

I decided before I visited the last Wal-Mart across town, I would make a visit to the local gun store where I recently purchased my pistol. Surely, they would have an ample supply of shells, and I could put my growing angst to rest.

Fat chance. Their ammunition shelves looked like Wal-Mart's. They had one box of 9mm's remaining which I quickly bought. I asked the owner if he would be getting anymore in soon, and he said, he would make a note to order more Monday. Hmmm. That's a strange response I thought. I figured he would have a better handle on his dwindling supplies and would already have made a new order, that is if he could get more supply.

I then went to the 5th and last Wal-Mart on my personal investigative tour. Ammunition shelves were the same as the previous stores, practically empty, but LO! What do I spy but two lonely boxes of 50 9mm shells sitting by themselves. I quickly pointed to them and told the clerk I wanted to purchase them. As he was ringing be up he said, "You're lucky. We just got these in today.".

So, it appears the rumors are true and that Wal-Mart is experiencing a shortage of ammo. and it appears this shortage extends beyond Wal-Mart and is affecting local gun stores as well. At least in my neck of the woods that's true.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I bought the last box of Blazer Brass 45auto one of my local WM's had today. There was one 250 round bulk box (UMC yellow) in 40S&W left after that. No other pistol cartridges on the shelves. One of my other (closer) local WM's only has a few boxes of 100ct WWB 45auto left for $31.97. I do figure it took a little bit longer to hit here with the shortage or lack thereof since it is Arkansas, and it actually takes us longer than the rest of the nation to get sunlight when the sun rises. I do figure there will be a sizable price increase once things are straightened out and supply is re-stocked, but I do figure WalMart will still have the better prices on the WWB, UMC, Federal .223 bulk, and the Blazer Brass. And don't foget, one of Remington's ammo factories is right here in the home state if that might make any difference.

"Ditto" Here in Arizona. Spent saturday checking out 3 wallyworld's and Cabela's all out of 9mm lugar.

Still some W-W in south Texas

Visited a Walmart store in south Texas today. (You don't need to ask why, it was a tasking from She who must be obeyed!)

They had W-W 45ACP FMJ ($29.97/100) and 9mm FMJ ($19.97/100) in the case. They have a little less now.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sotxrdr View Post
    Visited a Walmart store in south Texas today. (You don't need to ask why, it was a tasking from She who must be obeyed!)

They had W-W 45ACP FMJ ($29.97/100) and 9mm FMJ ($19.97/100) in the case. They have a little less now.

Wow, I hope my local WMs start seeing the same. Those are some good prices in line with what I was paying last spring.

My gosh! Just got back from Wal-mart... only shotgun shells left. (I need 9mm)

When reading this post I thought... "No way, not MY Wal-Mart..." sure enough...

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

This is strange!
    In the last three days I have been in two of my three local Walmarts and the shelves were full!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

with 2500+ stores im sure some still have ammo.

go back in a couple days and check again.

Today may be the peak? Perhaps the manufacturers begin to get caught up?

We will see..

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I hit the WallyWorld in Sefner, Fl today and found some ammo. It wasn't unpacked yet and put on the shelves but I got the guy to dig it out for me. I'd say there was about 1700rds of 9mm Blazer Brass and about 500rds of WWB .45 amongst some scattered shotgun, .22, .40 and rifle ammo. I was tempted to buy all the BB 9mm but only picked up 500rds for about $95 OTD. Maybe I got lucky or maybe their supplies are coming back. Just an FYI for folks in the area looking for 9mm. As of about noon, there was still about 1200rds of BB left.

went to local Wal Mart in Michigan today. out of stock for 9mm 380, 40 and 45. had plenty of 12 gauge shells.

My local WM said that they recieve ammo every day. Just depends on what type comes in that day.

He also said that it's been hard lately to keep certain calibers on the shelf. That's bad for me because it's mainly the 40 S&W that's being snatched up.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Mine has bare shelves too. I asked the clerk, and basically, there's a run on ammo, just like guns, prior to Obama taking office. He said he'd lost his biggest customer, the local police department. He can't place orders large enough to meet their needs. He can only order small amounts. It's because of you greedy hoarders! He said I was the first person in a long while that only bought one box.

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Links