New Buckmark, what .22LR ammo?

This is a discussion on New Buckmark, what .22LR ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I finally bought the .22 pistol that I've been wanting for a while: Buck Mark Stainless Camper, pistol 22 rimfire auto loading, Browning Firearms ...

Thread: New Buckmark, what .22LR ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

New Buckmark, what .22LR ammo?

Well, I finally bought the .22 pistol that I've been wanting for a while:
    Buck Mark Stainless Camper, pistol 22 rimfire auto loading, Browning Firearms Product

It should be here in about a week. In the meantime, I'm wondering what a GOOD ammo is for range/plinking duty. I know that any old bulk .22LR should be fine but if I'm going to buy a lot (1000+rds), I'd rather focus in on the better ammo out there. I don't necessarily need the absolute cheapest. I notice that there are some heavier, subsonic options out there. My wife and daughter will be shooting the Buckmark a bunch, usually at an indoor range, so is the heavier, subsonic ammo a good choice? I want everyone to practice, get more accurate and most importantly have fun.

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I really like CCI'S Green Tag ammo. I use it for a lot of my plinking and hunting a like... its good stuff without being over priced.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I think you may need to try a few types of ammo and see what cycles best in your gun. I use Remington with the gold tip work well, as does Federal spitfire ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wasabi -

I have been shooting CCI Mini Mags in my Mosquito--it is specifically recommended by Sig, especially during the breakin period.

I've been happy with it and believe it is priced at a point that makes it a reasonable load for plinking.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'll pickup a few boxes of the suggested ammo (hopefully @ Wallyworld) before I make the 'big' purchase. Oh, does anyone know where I can get some cheap mags? My UpLula won't work with the .22 so I need to load up on some mags also. CDNN has them for $22.99. Any better out there?

Thanks again.

Both the Stingers and plain ol' Federal Champion work well in my Buckmark. 22's can be kind of individualistic some times about what they like. I guess it's kinda like their owners.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

To get reliable cycling of the auto you may consider getting .22 rounds with 36 or 40 gr bullets. I have no experience with Buckmark but Newtons third law comes into play for the auto.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Congrats on a very nice new gun!

I would be looking for two things.1) what ammo is just flat out the most accurate out of this gun regardless of cost and 2)what is the cheapest ammo that provides good accuracy for an afternoon of plinking.

I'd grab a variety of different .22 ammo of the shelf and do all testing from a rest. There have been some good recommendations on ammo given. I would definitely try the bulk pack from Remington and Federal. A good intermediate cost round is the Federal Auto Match. Walmart sells it in 325 pack boxes. Definitely a step up in quality from all the regular bulk pack stuff but only a little more expensive. It's specifically designed for semi-auto guns. I've had good luck with it in everything I have tried.

For general plinking in handguns and rifles I'm lucky that all my .22's like Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack. All of them shoot it accurately enough that the limiting factor is group size is usually me and not the ammo.

Strip it and clean it good.
    Run 100 rounds through just for break-in and fun.
    Strip it and clean it again
    Try some accuracy/reliability tests with each ammo. Maybe three 5 shot groups for each. Count the best three rounds from each 5 shot group. Then retest the top 3.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

The federal bulk box 550 round at wally world function great in all my 22 pistols and rifles
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Many may not believe this, but I have found the Remington Golden Bullet 36 gr. plated hollow point to be one of the most accurate rounds of any 22 ammo I've shot. It cycles the action in all of my autos (Ruger 10/22, S&W Model 41, Remington 597, & Walther P22). You will get an occasional dud (probably less than 1 in 50) that appears to just have no priming compound but for the price, it doesn't really matter.

About 3 years ago when I was building my 10/22, I bench tested more than a dozen brands of 22 ammo from the cheap value pack stuff to the high dollar match Eley and Lapua brands. What came out on top consistently was the Wolf Match Extra. In second place was the Remington Golden Bullet round. If you want to try the Wolf ammo, I'd suggest you buy a single box to start as while it works perfectly in my rifles, I have had some problems with it cycling the action of some auto pistols. On a side note, when I was doing this testing, I was buying the Wolf Match Extra from Midway for just under $50.00 per brick of 500. When looking it up for this post, I see it is now $72.00 per 500. Man ammo is getting expensive.

If you want near perfect reliability and reasonable accuracy, any of the CCI plastic box ammo will fit the bill. My preference on CCI is the Mini-Mag 36 gr. plated hollow point.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I usually shoot CCI ammo in my .22s, I've never had a jam or misfire. Although anytime i get a big box of remingtons they also do just as well. I get whatever they have wherever i might be.

Very nice gun though, i too have a .22 browning, its the most accurate gun in the world. The one your getting is what im looking into buying as my old one is getting prettty worn, let us know how you like it.....

Yeah go grab a few boxes off the shelf cheap stuff might work well in your gun or may not.

CCI 22LR HP Subsonic is the only thing that has worked flawless in my S&W Model 41.

Remington Cyclone, wasnt too bad but not reccomended for some target pistols, stick with subsonic ammo.

Winchester X, was the worst ammo ive ever used, badly moulded projectiles, corroded brass cases, multiple FTF, jams and stovepipes, I woulded even use it for plinking let alone target shooting.

Federal RX, almost as bad as Winchester X

You can get some pretty nice brands like Lapua for competition target shooting but at the same price as 9mm its really only for hardcore competition use.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for the replies everyone,

I set out looking for some ammo today at Walmart, hoping to get a small selection and basically couldn't find anything. I've been doing some more reading in various rimfire forums and the Federal 510 .22LR gets some good reviews. I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and get some online from Natchez. They have it for $1.60 a box. I'll take a chance and buy a bunch of it and also a few boxes of some other brands. If it doesn't workout, I'm sure my Marlin 60 will eat whatever (if any) doesn't agree with the Buck Mark.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The federal bulk box 550 round at wally world function great in all my 22 pistols and rifles

+1 to this.

In my experience .22lr is not always more expensive is better. A good rule of thumb is find the cheapest ammo that runs well in your gun and buy about 10K rounds of it.

5000rds of Federal 510 on it's way from Natchez.

Thanks again everyone.

Links