Shotgun slugs for self defense?

This is a discussion on Shotgun slugs for self defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone know if slugs would be good for home/self defense?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun slugs for self defense?

Anyone know if slugs would be good for home/self defense?

I'd be VERY concerned about over-penetration with a shotgun slug. That's a huge chunk of lead...

Brian

If you live in a log cabin type structure with extremely thick/dense walls (we'll ignore windows for the moment) _and_ are in an otherwise uninhabited area with never any human neighbors or walkers/drivers by for a half mile 360 degree radius around your home.
    Then yes, slugs would be excellent for home defense application.

Otherwise, no.

This has been reviewed tens of time here before.
    Common sense along with an understanding of what a slug is and how it works should answer the thought before it's even asked as a question.

Further as you are in Boston, MA discharge of a slug gun in a residential area as dense as a major city for home defense purpose is simply foolish and reckless.

Proof of how poor an idea slugs this would be was most recently proven in a case that occurred just last week.

Sleeping woman accidentally fires shotgun at neighbour [through shared apartment building wall and headboard]
    http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/...n_at_neighbour

Keep in mind she was just using shot rather than slugs, but still penetration alone was significant. Now imagine what a slug would do and how far it might travel and through what number of common household materials before it lost all of it's energy. FUBAR.

- Your Neighbor
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There are such things as hollow point slugs, but still... we're talking a heavy chunk of lead with some serious energy.

Is there a specific application you are concerned about that requires slugs? If its just "regular" home defense, many of us would recommend #1 Buck, or 00 Buck. So long as you hit your mark, this should be sufficient at a decent home defense distance.

Of course, in places with real winter, the BG may be wearing heavy clothing, but I'm sure 00 Buck should be albe to deal with that... birdshot would not.

I shot an old abandoned farmhouse with a slug once through a solid wood door,the slug went thru the door two lathe and plaster walls,thru a window and snapped a 3" thick tree in half and kept going
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I prefer number four buckshot... for SD in a home.

Senior Moderator
    Slugs want penatrate as bad as a .308 Win but still to much for general HD use in my opinion.

I prefer #4 buck for HD with slugs in a buttstock shell holder in case i want to shoot through a wall.

(To clarify I prefer and use a pistol caliber carbine (M-1 Carbine) for HD).
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I have my shotty loaded with reduced recoil 00 buck wth some bernanke KO slugs just in case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I prefer number four buckshot... for SD in a home.
    +1

Slugs should be used for hunting, not SD
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    There's no doubt that a shotgun slug would stop anything on two feet and most things on four. As others have pointed out, the most serious problem is overpenetration. I remember seeing a video called "Deadly Weapons" in it the host fired a slug at an automobile and it went in one side and exited the other.
    One thing you might consider is powdered Lead. It can blow a door off it's hinges, but has little penetration.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    One thing you might consider is powdered Lead. It can blow a door off it's hinges, but has little penetration.

I've never seen that around here. Do you have any more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan81986 View Post
    Anyone know if slugs would be good for home/self defense?
    I've sort of been on and off with the shotguns specifically for home defense for a lot of years now. For in the home defense, I solely rely on my pistols or a pistol to play that role. Over all, I figure shotguns are too long, and pretty much require two hands to wield and operate effectively inside the home except for the safe room. The reasons I've gone to keeping a shotgun in a defensive role once again is for the outside scenario. Middle of the night, or any time, out in the front yard, the carport, or in the back yard if someone decided to rummage through my outbuildings or things. My 12ga is loaded alternately with slugs and 00 buckshot for now in this case. When I specifically kept my former Mossy 500 in 20ga next to the bed for in home defense, it was loaded with #4 shot.

Use buckshot!

i like 00 buck for hd. the slug would be over kill in the house. but i do keep one or two around if i need to shoot something big.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links