Best .40 Caliber Self Defense Round

This is a discussion on Best .40 Caliber Self Defense Round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everybody I know is pushing 135 grain rounds for .40 cal. I tried to buy some yesterday and the gun store is sold out. I'm ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Best .40 Caliber Self Defense Round

Everybody I know is pushing 135 grain rounds for .40 cal. I tried to buy some yesterday and the gun store is sold out.

I'm interested in opinions about 135 grain vs. 165 or 180 for self defense.

Thanks.

M

I've tried 135gr up to 180gr loads. I'm not really partial to any of them. Find the one that functions in your gun and you shoot the best. .40 cal. is a good defensive round regardless of weight. I wouldn't feel the least bit undergunned with WWB 180gr jhp.
    mano3 likes this.

My personal preference is the 165 grain loads (155 grain in 2nd place). In the 40, I find that the 165s offer the best combination of bullet weight for penetration and velocity for increased energy.

Hoss
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Here's a video showing what the Ranger 155 gr HPs do to water jugs(2nd 1/2 of video clip)...

Glock 23, 40S&W vs. Water Jugs

Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    Here's a video showing what the Ranger 155 gr HPs do to water jugs(2nd 1/2 of video clip)...

Glock 23, 40S&W vs. Water Jugs
    That's impressive. I'm sold.

155 gr. Double Tap. Yah.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Personally I load Magsafe 84 grain defenders. That sounds super light but before you scoff take a look at the specs for the stuff:

http://www.magsafeonline.com/prices_specs.jsp

Their .40D round leaves the barrel at 1800 fps and 604 fpe. It's a different round that is highly lethal. Plus the round ricochets less than traditional rounds. They are WAY too expensive to shoot up at the range but I use them as my SD carry rounds.

Everyone has their favorite and is entitled to carry the round that makes the best sense to them; these are expensive but as a SD round I am willing to put up with the expense to make the BG go away quickly. :) I found that these are faster and hit harder than any JHP I could find.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

My favorite carry ammo is 140 gr. Corbon DPX. For the range 180 gr. Winchester white box.

According to the FBI study on round lethality in LE shootings, what you want to shoot is a heavier grain JHP or some other variation that expands on contact. Ideally you want 12 inches of penetration - lighter grain loads may have more FPE in some cases but also expend that energy faster in the body due to lighter weight. The heavier loads will penetrate the full 12" and then some in most cases. I personally prefer the Gold dot in 165 or 180 grain - since my practice ammo is 180 grain I lean more towards GHP in 180.

The water jugs were cool and all, but that demonstration has absolutely nothing to do with what those rounds will do in the human body.

Just my 2 cents
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Hornady TAP 165 hollowpoints.
    Springfield Armory TRP OPERATOR .45ACP
    Kimber Ultra CDPII .45ACP
    Sig Sauer ELITE Stainless .45ACP
    S&W Model 627 performance center v-comp

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    180 br. Gold Dots for me. I perfer heavy bullets in general except for my 9.
    5lima30ret and bmcgilvray like this.

165gr federal hst.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Love the Strasbourg tests of hate them (google it and you will find proponents and opponents), at least they looked at incapacitation time from a lung shot (i.e. a chest shot) rather than kinetic energy transfer for the theoretical "stopping power." It's not about putting a BG on his keister; it's about eliminating his ability to harm you or others.

I am personally not a fan of 12" penetration because the average BG is not 12" thick! I don't want an exit wound because in AZ any collateral injury is the responsibility of the shooter, even if the shot is legit. Yes, I know that ballistics do not travel in a straight line through flesh; still I am concerned with too much penetration just as with too little. While a heavier and slower round will tend to spread better than a lighter faster round it still takes a long time relatively to spread. My first thought is to find a round that incapacitates a BG as fast as possible. Energy alone won't do it; the fact that counts IMAO is time from shot penetration to incapacitation.

So I want a round that is going to create a gaping wound in about 4-8" of tissue...just enough to rip a lung apart or with great shot placement ruin the heart. If the shot is a gut shot I want damage to multiple organs not simply penetration. I know that sounds gruesome but it is what I am looking for if I have to pull the trigger. Yes, I realize that I might need to put a shot through an arm or something of the like, realizing a need for a little more penetration. That is why I would not put a single shot downrange in SD; multiple shots give the best chance for a center of body mass shot.

So that is why I like the Magsafe rounds. They incapacitate really fast comparatively, which is what I want in a round.

Nothing against other rounds AT ALL, and I CERTAINLY understand why LEO use JHP's instead. I wouldn't want my tax dollars going to a couple hundred of those for every cop in the force in my state every year. :) That'd be some serious bucks! LEO studies have to consider cost effectiveness as well as incapacitation; they won't even consider rounds that are too expensive because they are not an option for LE budgets, which is perfectly understandable. For my SD round, though, I am willing to spend the money.

No, I am not hawking their stuff either. :)

I have also heard that the Cor-Bon rounds are really good, but I have no experience with them.

I am going to check out the other rounds posted here too and see what I find. Never hurts to keep looking for a better round, right?!?
    Last edited by MinistrMalic; January 18th, 2009 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Misspelling :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    165gr federal hst.

if that dont stopem' nothing will.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

IMO, if you go with Federal HST's, you can't go wrong.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links