How much SD ammo to test for reliability?

This is a discussion on How much SD ammo to test for reliability? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat I find I only need to shoot about one mag thru my Glocks . i think that is the key ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much SD ammo to test for reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    I find I only need to shoot about one mag thru my Glocks.

i think that is the key here!

2. Remove Ads

Hey, if you want to take the chance, go ahead and carry a weapon with ammo you haven't tested sufficiently.

But keep this in mind...when one things goes wrong, others quickly follow.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Just to clarify.....when I try a NEW ammo that has not been cycled
    thru my guns yet....I will shoot about 100 of them. When I know that they work ok.....I will shoot a mag thru at each session just to make sure all is still working properly. I would never just "grab" some SD ammo and load it up without testing, and leave it sitting in my night stand or in my mag pouches.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    Just to clarify.....when I try a NEW ammo that has not been cycled
    thru my guns yet....I will shoot about 100 of them. When I know that they work ok.....I will shoot a mag thru at each session just to make sure all is still working properly. I would never just "grab" some SD ammo and load it up without testing, and leave it sitting in my night stand or in my mag pouches.
    That makes a little more sense, your original post was misleading and seemed to say you only shoot one mag of your SD ammo before calling it good and betting your life that it will function 100%. A hundred rounds is much better but that is still less than half of the accepted recommended standard of two hundred and fifty rounds. I care enough about myself and family not to go halfway on something their lives may depend on. Of course you decide what your life and teh lives of your loved ones are worth to you
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member

Another nice thing about packing a wheelgun.

For me, it's not an issue. Within reason, if it fits in the cylinder, and the cylinder closes, it'll go bang.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    SD ammo is a luxury, I have WWB loaded in mine. I just can't afford SD rounds at the moment.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    SD ammo is a luxury, I have WWB loaded in mine. I just can't afford SD rounds at the moment.
    If you can afford the gun you can afford some good defense ammo.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    How much is your life worth? How much are the lives of your loved ones worth? I get being stone broke been there done that as I am sure most of us have. Still you must have something worth enough to buy enough SD ammo to be sure it is 100% reliable in your gun and to load your carry mag(s)

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    For me, it's not an issue. Within reason, if it fits in the cylinder, and the cylinder closes, it'll go bang.
    Is all ammo 100% reliable in all wheel guns? Some how I doubt it but even so IMO at best your statement is only partly true. Not all ammo will be accurate or expand reliably out of your gun especially if it is a snub nose or has less than a four inch barrel. With some ammo even a four inch barrel is marginal. IMO you would benefit from doing some performance testing with your carry ammo

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Question, offer opinions or facts, please.
    We just picked up our new Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II's and it's break-in time. Should we fire target ammo first to break in the gun, then fire SD ammo, or the other way around and why?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    We just picked up our new Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II's and it's break-in time. Should we fire target ammo first to break in the gun, then fire SD ammo, or the other way around and why?
    Ball ammo for most of the break in. Why? Because it's a lot cheaper. After you get to about 300-400 rounds switch to SD ammo for the next 150 or so. That should give you a great idea on how its going to perform and it will let the parts mate to each other.

It's been asked before, so I'll go ahead and answer; You don't have to do all 500 in one day, one trip, or on one cleaning. It's a good idea to clean it after 100, 250, 400, 500, or something similiar.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Ball ammo for most of the break in. Why? Because it's a lot cheaper. After you get to about 300-400 rounds switch to SD ammo for the next 150 or so. That should give you a great idea on how its going to perform and it will let the parts mate to each other.

It's been asked before, so I'll go ahead and answer; You don't have to do all 500 in one day, one trip, or on one cleaning. It's a good idea to clean it after 100, 250, 400, 500, or something similiar.
    Good that's what I was thinking, target ammo for break-in is lot cheaper. Recoil shouldn't be much different anyway. If time permits I can get in 200 rounds today and another 200 this weekend, then try the SD ammo.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Is all ammo 100% reliable in all wheel guns?
    No. I had a S&W 340 pull the bullets from .38 special loads due to the recoil.

Locked the gun up nice. Lucky it was on the range, otherwise I'd have been in deep...

But hey. testing carry ammo is to expensive. Pay no attention to me. Carry your gun with ammo you haven't shot sufficiently to insure reliability.

It will probably work just fine...

Or not.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I scrapped together all my money to get a reliable gun... a glock 23 which is my pride and joy.

And to answer your questions

-The life of my loved ones are worth everything to me, my life is worth a great amount to me as well, which is why i carry; however, if I spent 20 bucks on SD ammo, I would be cutting into my food budget.

Think times are hard? I can tell you times are rough right now for someone who takes 15 credit hours and puts themselves through school.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I'd say fire some ball ammo for the first few trips. try to keep a round count. After about 400-500 rounds try some SD ammo. Note any failures after the initial break in time when firing SD ammo. You should be able to fire at least 100 rounds of SD ammo with no failures or problems. Until then I'd say it's not ready for carry.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links