How much SD ammo to test for reliability? - Page 3

How much SD ammo to test for reliability?

This is a discussion on How much SD ammo to test for reliability? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood I scrapped together all my money to get a reliable gun... a glock 23 which is my pride and joy. And ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much SD ammo to test for reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I scrapped together all my money to get a reliable gun... a glock 23 which is my pride and joy.

And to answer your questions

-The life of my loved ones are worth everything to me, my life is worth a great amount to me as well, which is why i carry; however, if I spent 20 bucks on SD ammo, I would be cutting into my food budget.

Think times are hard? I can tell you times are rough right now for someone who takes 15 credit hours and puts themselves through school.
    As much as I love my guns and encourage gun ownership, when you cut into your food budget to buy defense ammo then you have to prioritize better.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Winchester USA .40S&W 180 grain JHP will do you just fine if you need a low cost JHP.

I'd rather shoot WWB and know the gun runs than shoot DPX when I haven't confirmed my gun likes it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I'd rather shoot WWB and know the gun runs than shoot DPX when I haven't confirmed my gun likes it.
    +1
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Winchester USA .40S&W 180 grain JHP will do you just fine if you need a low cost JHP.

That's why you check that it does, and when it comes to defense I don't settle for "this is good enough" if there's one better than another I explore that option. That is why I have both DPX and HST on hand, and both have been thoroughly tested in all of my firearms.

What I'm saying is, if you can afford a gun then you can afford to test defense ammo. If you cannot then you shouldn't have purchased the gun because you have other obvious priorities.

I don't ever encourage anyone to go broke buying a gun.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I scrapped together all my money to get a reliable gun... a glock 23 which is my pride and joy.

And to answer your questions

-The life of my loved ones are worth everything to me, my life is worth a great amount to me as well, which is why i carry; however, if I spent 20 bucks on SD ammo, I would be cutting into my food budget.

Think times are hard? I can tell you times are rough right now for someone who takes 15 credit hours and puts themselves through school.
    15 credit hours ! That is a load no doubt. I really do empathize been there well not 15 credit hours but student impoverished. Back when we used stone tablets and a computer was a abacus. Fact is I would have suggested a less expensive gun like a Stoeger Cougar and spent the left over for ammo. I imagine it is hard on you to have the time and money to just practice with. The sad fact is that to properly test your carry ammo it is going to be alot more than $20 more like $120 bare minimum. Wish I had a solution for you. Best suggestion is as has been said is save and test your ammo 50 rounds at a time, in the mean time carry what you know works
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    That's why you check that it does, and when it comes to defense I don't settle for "this is good enough" if there's one better than another I explore that option. That is why I have both DPX and HST on hand, and both have been thoroughly tested in all of my firearms.

What I'm saying is, if you can afford a gun then you can afford to test defense ammo. If you cannot then you shouldn't have purchased the gun because you have other obvious priorities.

I don't ever encourage anyone to go broke buying a gun.

Good enough sometimes is.

Not every time. Not all the time...but sometimes good enough is just that.

DPX is great stuff...but if you can't cover the cost of 200 rounds, you aren't unarmed with carrying Golden Saber.

If testing Golden Saber is going to break your budget, pick up Remington Express (green & yellow box) JHP, test that and carry it.

Being so caught up on "the best" is a great way to ignore "good" right in front of you.

Just because it isn't a flagship product, it doesn't mean the product isn't quality. It may be "old tech", but old tech had killed a lot of people.

Old Tech works if you do your part - Put bullets were they need to go for as long as they need to be fired.

Does that mean I carry the "non flagship products" when better is available? No...But I have and felt fine about it. I'd do it again in the future if that was all I could afford.

Don't get so caught up on technology that you forget the best fight stopper possible - Skill.

Situational awareness. Strength & conditioning. Accurate shooting. Fast shooting. Movement. Smooth reloads. Edged weapon & unarmed skills. The ability to run very fast & far.

Up near me their is a martial arts school (kali, wing chun, bjj) that does 3 hour lessons for $20 once a month. You can't even buy a decent box of ammo for $20...but how many people come to that class - About 4.

Skill is just "Kills" with the 's' in a different spot.

That isn't a coincidence.

Good enough sometimes is.

Not every time. Not all the time...but sometimes good enough is just that.

DPX is great stuff...but if you can't cover the cost of 200 rounds, you aren't unarmed with carrying Golden Saber.

If testing Golden Saber is going to break your budget, pick up Remington Express (green & yellow box) JHP, test that and carry it.

Being so caught up on "the best" is a great way to ignore "good" right in front of you.

Just because it isn't a flagship product, it doesn't mean the product isn't quality. It may be "old tech", but old tech had killed a lot of people.

Old Tech works if you do your part - Put bullets were they need to go for as long as they need to be fired.

Does that mean I carry the "non flagship products" when better is available? No...But I have and felt fine about it. I'd do it again in the future if that was all I could afford.

Don't get so caught up on technology that you forget the best fight stopper possible - Skill.

Situational awareness. Strength & conditioning. Accurate shooting. Fast shooting. Movement. Smooth reloads. Edged weapon & unarmed skills. The ability to run very fast & far.

Up near me their is a martial arts school (kali, wing chun, bjj) that does 3 hour lessons for $20 once a month. You can't even buy a decent box of ammo for $20...but how many people come to that class - About 4.

Skill is just "Kills" with the 's' in a different spot.

That isn't a coincidence.
    Well, I have read more than one story of those so called "value JHP" rounds not expanding at all. That is why I don't settle.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links