How much SD ammo to test for reliability?

This is a discussion on How much SD ammo to test for reliability? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With ammo being hard to find these days (especially HST), how many mags/rounds do you run through your guns of SD ammo when you go ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much SD ammo to test for reliability?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

With ammo being hard to find these days (especially HST), how many mags/rounds do you run through your guns of SD ammo when you go to the range? Do you just shoot about 10 mags when you first get your gun to test the reliability of your gun/SD ammo combo and then just stick with range ammo for any future range time? I'm trying to conserve SD ammo but don't feel comfortable when I don't shoot at least a couple of mags of SD ammo every time I go to the range.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I practice with ball ammo, but, every range trip my carry see's, I always run a few mags of JHP's through it. I always make sure my gun shoots SD rounds the same as my practice ammo.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

You will pay for it but it is worth the test. I fire at least 50 rounds of it at one shot per second and you should not have one malfunction.

I use a +P+ 124gr Gold Dot 9mm
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

For Autoloaders I do a 500 round "break in" and then 200 rounds of my carry ammo in a timed qualification course that has both slow and rapid fire. 50 rounds per "qual" done 4 times with no malfunctions to prove to me that the gun works.

I have trouble getting Corbon locally, that and not being able to get enough of it to run the 200 round test is why I don't carry it.

Biker

I may run two to three mags (20-30 rounds) of anything I get new in the way of SD ammo. I've pretty much stuck with the 124gr+P GDHP for 9mm, and Remington Golden Sabers for the 40 S&W and the 45ACP. The carry ammo in my magazines gets rotated top to bottom as I load and unload over a period of time to prevent bullet set-back issues, and once every couple of months or so, I'll shoot up the magazines full of that particular SD ammo. If I am out of that particular brand, and need to go with something else, the testing starts all over again. But I try to stick with what I already know works well for my pistols if at all possible.

I usually run at least 100 rounds initially to make sure a new carry ammo is reliable.

After that, I'll usually empty my carry magazine through it whenever I go to the range.

However, fwiw, I've never had any type of premium ammo decide to stop working in any of my pistols after it's shown itself reliable.

I'm usually just cycling the ammo to keep fresh loads in my pistol.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Same as cuda.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

When I first by a new pistol, I shoot a box of what I intend to shoot in the gun through it. Then, if there has been no errors, hiccups or miss feeds, I switch and practice with ball ammo.

When I return to the range the next time, I fire the magazine that is in the pistol, to confirm no malfunctions, and then switch to ball ammo the rest of the day.

I do not amass SD ammo. Instead I buy a new box about every six months, and then shoot the old ammo.

However, I do keep about a 1000 rounds of ball ammo for target pinking. And if the chips where down, and I had to have more ammo, a person shot a couple times with ball ammo is just as dead as if you shot him with the best SD ammo.

I usually shoot about 200-300 rounds through a pistol before I consider it safe for CCL. Exception being smaller pocket SD pistols; (Kel-Tec P3AT as an example) Being such a small frame, Iíll only shot them about 50 times, with the ammo I intend to shoot in it.

Then I shoot the magazine that is in the pocket gun every time I visit the range.

Whenever I get a new pistol, I may fire hundreds of rounds of target ammo from various manufacturers to break in the pistol and uncover any problems. For SD ammo, I usually fire no more than 3 mags full to test for functioning of that particular ammo. If it doesn't fail in those 3 mags full, my experience is that it's not going to have a failure that can be attributed to the gun/ammo combination and to just test the gun function and reliability, it's much cheaper to do that with the target ammo.

In all honesty, the only pistols I've ever had any failures or problems with are my Kel-Tec PF-9 and my Para NiteHawg. The Kel-Tec will not feed Remington Golden Sabers. They don't even try to feed out of the magazine. The Para was due to magazine springs. Replaced the springs with Wolff springs and problems went away. This problem was not due to any gun/ammo combination, but was the magazine's fault.

I must be very lucky because even my PM-9, which is known to have some issues during break-in, has never missed a hitch. I've never seen much of an advantage to firing hundreds of rounds of high dollar SD ammo to test for function. Any malfunction that doesn't show up within the first 25-50 rounds is going to be a gun problem, not a gun/ammo combination problem. JMHO

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

500 rounds of ball and 2-3 magazines of HP per magazine that I would carry.

On range trips, I'll usually shoot whats in the magazine and switch to ball for the rest of the trip.

I am kind of paranoid on one front. I always shoot at least one magazine per box of carry ammo prior to declaring that box good to go.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I fire a few of the SD loads over my chronograph to get the velocity. Then reload with the same type of bullet to the same speed for practice ammo. Loads must shoot to the same POI and I am good to go. I do run the SD ammo thru the gun every now and then just to makes sure all is well.

Senior Moderator
    1-2 hundred rounds
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    With ammo being hard to find these days (especially HST), how many mags/rounds do you run through your guns of SD ammo when you go to the range? Do you just shoot about 10 mags when you first get your gun to test the reliability of your gun/SD ammo combo and then just stick with range ammo for any future range time? I'm trying to conserve SD ammo but don't feel comfortable when I don't shoot at least a couple of mags of SD ammo every time I go to the range.
    200 to 250 rounds with out any FTF of any kind is enough to assure that my SD ammo is reliable in my carry weapon. After that I rarely if ever shoot my SD ammo. Brazer Brass shoots pretty much like HST so I don't feel there is any real need to practice with my SD ammo. I do cycle my top two SD rounds if there is any wear on them at all. Maybe every year or so I will shoot my carry ammo and replace it with new. Even though what I am replacing it with is likely out of the same box the old came out of.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

If the carry pistol will shoot through a box of 50 without a sngle hiccup, I'd feel good with it.

Each time I shoot, I'll fire my carry ammo first, and then my range ammo. Then I'll load a mag with carry ammo as I'm ready to leave. I feel like this keeps me in touch with the carry ammo shot characteristics, and rotates carry ammo OK. I wanna know how it shoots, and how I shoot it, stone cold with no warm up.

For a carry pistol, shoot a couple hunderd ball ammo rounds. Clean the pistol, and then shoot 50, or so carry rounds. If you have not had a failure, and you are hitting the target well, you have a good combo.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I find I only need to shoot about one mag thru my Glocks each time I go to the range....Usually Cor Bon or Gold Dot, and both recycle reliably, then I will go thru about 100 or more FMJ for practice. I do this about once a month.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links