13 y.o. Black Talons - Page 2

13 y.o. Black Talons

This is a discussion on 13 y.o. Black Talons within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; adding a black nickel anti-corrosion coating to the brass casing s Kinda showes the level of wikipedia's knowlege "rit thar don't it" NaturalSelection- Does the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 y.o. Black Talons

adding a black nickel anti-corrosion coating to the brass casings
    Kinda showes the level of wikipedia's knowlege "rit thar don't it"

NaturalSelection-
    Does the Ranger SXT have the "talons" as well?? I heard it was the same bullet without the talons.

IIRC, the Ranger SXT is the evolution from the original Black Talon, has six 'petals' and talons, and is primarily made available to LE. The 'civilian' SXT has 8 'petals' and no talons. Ammolab testing of Ranger vs GD showed that both offer very reliable expansion and similar performance.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Current Hollow Point design is much better then that of the Black Talon, if you want the talons, get the Ranger-T stuff, as Tom said, with 6 petals. The Gold Dot bullets are very good as well, and most mainstream stuff all better then 13 year old technology.
    "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    IIRC, the Ranger SXT is the evolution from the original Black Talon, has six 'petals' and talons, and is primarily made available to LE. The 'civilian' SXT has 8 'petals' and no talons.
    since i prefer +P loads ive never played with the sxt, but i wasnt aware that there was a restricted LE version. i know the box may be labelled "law enforcement ammunition" because they sell it on the shelf at my local gun store for anyone to buy. i cant find anything on the web that states or even suggests that sales of this ammunition are restricted to law enforcement. have you got a source on this? im not questioning your knowledge, im just looking for clarity.
    thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by 1Zach1
    Current Hollow Point design is much better then that of the Black Talon
    i agree completely. i see black talons at the local gun shows selling for $65 a box (20 rounds!) and people line up to pay it. i just chuckle to myself, think "suckers", and stock up on corbons at $15 a box.

<sigh>......the power of hype.

A buddy who’s family owns a hardware store with an FFL is going to start stocking Double Tap, to help off set the initial order cost he is going to sell me some ammo in all 3 calibers at his cost. I think I will rebox my Black Talons and set them back to increase in value for my retirement account, my stocks aren’t doing anything

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    since i prefer +P loads ive never played with the sxt, but i wasnt aware that there was a restricted LE version. i know the box may be labelled "law enforcement ammunition" because they sell it on the shelf at my local gun store for anyone to buy. i cant find anything on the web that states or even suggests that sales of this ammunition are restricted to law enforcement. have you got a source on this? im not questioning your knowledge, im just looking for clarity.
    thanks,
    As I understand it Winchester will only sell to LE gun shops or places online, I believe this was a continued reaction to the fall out from the Black Talon, but there is nothing stopping anyone from buying them from the store or online.
    E Pluribus Unum

The SXT also has +P rated loads too. It's pretty expensive but they have them. Then again good carry ammunition is worth the price.

I think I will try some as carry ammo. I really liked the way the SXT performed when I shot some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    The SXT also has +P rated loads too. It's pretty expensive but they have them. Then again good carry ammunition is worth the price.
    oh ive never worried about price on carry ammunition. after a bit of searching i cannot find sxt +P, any idea where it can be found? id like to get some to compare it directly against a corbon +P.

oh ive never worried about price on carry ammunition. after a bit of searching i cannot find sxt +P, any idea where it can be found? id like to get some to compare it directly against a corbon +P.
    It comes in 38 Special in +p+, 9mm 127gr +p+, 9mm 124gr +p (comes in the bonded form as well in this weight and pressure), and 45 230gr +p. As for where to buy, 5532jwk (Jerry) has a great reputation on GlockTalk and many forums, (mods I hope it is ok to post this link, if not I am very sorry) http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=480305
    E Pluribus Unum

thanks,
    Sorry for the delay in responding. In my post, I said, "sold primarily to LE", not restricted. As others have pointed out, Winchester markets the Ranger line through their LE channels. There's nothing that says those who buy through their LE channels can't sell to civilians.

Try a 357SIG standard pressure load at 1450fps for performance, if you like 9mm. Also, consider that some of the standard loads have similar or identical performance to +P loads because of superior bullet design. There are +P loads that fail to open and overpenetrate. There are +P loads that open too quickly and fail to penetrate. There are standard loads that give 14"-16" of penetration with consistent expansion.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    Try a 357SIG standard pressure load at 1450fps for performance, if you like 9mm.
    i own both, and the .357 auto is nothing like the 9mm luger. although equal and even superior to the .357 magnum up to 125 grains, i think of it as a 9mm magnum because it gives you the best of both.....comparable capacity of the 9mm with comparable performance of the .357 magnum. it has a generous recoil, and does really nasty things to anything it hits. i consider it a winner, and carry it daily.

Also, consider that some of the standard loads have similar or identical performance to +P loads because of superior bullet design
    i shoot +P loads of superior bullet design. ive never heard of a problem with corbon or hornady xtp.

There are +P loads that fail to open and overpenetrate. There are +P loads that open too quickly and fail to penetrate. There are standard loads that give 14"-16" of penetration with consistent expansion.
    youll find exceptions with any caliber.....some brands make better bullets than others. i trust and carry what i know will function reliably.

ann
    Sell or keep the BLACK TALONS as collector items only.

When I tested the original design TALONS back in the day, they plugged up on 2 layers of t-shirt material .They suck IMO.

The current RANGER T"alons"thats a whole different animal.

...i shoot +P loads of superior bullet design. ive never heard of a problem with corbon or hornady xtp...
    I haven't tried the xtp. What kind of performance are you getting?
    - Tom

i dont have any fancy equipment to give me any scientific numbers, but i consider them equal to the corbon. for what its worth, retention and expansion are excellent in coyote (230 grain .45acp +P). i havent got to try them out in the .357 auto yet, going to get my local gun store to order some.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links