Ammo Stocking Question (Defense Rounds)

This is a discussion on Ammo Stocking Question (Defense Rounds) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see alot of folks start talking about defensive rounds being stocked up on for a SHTF situation... My thoughts on this are that I ...

Thread: Ammo Stocking Question (Defense Rounds)

I see alot of folks start talking about defensive rounds being stocked up on for a SHTF situation... My thoughts on this are that I have enough to reload all my carry loads once or twice... This takes care of setback rounds that are disposed of and the occasional magazine that gets fired at the range for verification. If the situation has deteriorated that much I wonder why people think this way in two respects:

1) 200 rounds (I saw this in another thread) of defensive pistol ammunition. At what point are you still reloading magazines every day and shooting with a handgun? I mean at this point are people not going to be walking around with long arms?

2) If things are that far gone why select JHP instead of simple ball?

VIP Member
    I have a couple of boxes and plan on buying more as I shoot some,
    if that plan doesn't work; I'll switch calibers and come up with a new plan.
    In any case if your plan is for more, buy what you can afford and keep it confidential.

No, I'm asking why so many folks think they need to stock so many personal defense rounds, not rounds in general. I mean if things go south in any measure then we are not going to really be that concerned about if its a JHP or a FMJ are we?

I think for some people it might be for barter. If for some reason in the future it becomes problematic to walk into Walmart and pick up a box of JHPs those that have could sell them for a premium.

Also in an EOTWAWKI situation, yes FMJ would make a zombie just as dead as JHP, but it might be from infection a week later as opposed to loss of blood pressure that minute. Shot placement in a defensive situation is always important, but with non expanding bullets it becomes even more critical. When it comes down to fighting for your life, don't you want absolutely every possible advantage?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have found the some rounds of JHP (100 rounds) is the same price as (FMJ 50 rounds times two)
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Im just buying as much of whatever... Ive started buying ammo for guns I dont even have LOL

But, Im stocking
    WWB in 9mm FMJ
    JHP (a few different brands) in 9mm
    Remington 130gr .270
    Bulk .22 (federal, remington and winchester)
    12g 00 Buck (a few diferent manufacturers)
    12g bird shot (whatever is at Wally's)

Im doing alright too. Not nearly what some have but I buy a bit each week.

Im just getting whats available. No method to the madness. Any of it could make a zombie DEAD.

FWIW, 200 rounds of 9mm defensive ammo isnt alot. I carry 25 rounds on me. Ill shoot it every few months and reload the mags.

Plus I gotta load the wife up and shes carrying the same.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I think most people buy so much is so they can have a couple hundred in reserve yet have enough to shoot a box or two every few months just to keep their carry ammo "proofed" in their gun.

Thats what I do anyway. I stock WAY more FMJ than I do JHP's.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Well that's what I do, first I buy in bulk when possible so that I get the earlier and thus lower price. I also do not like having to go find ammo, in case it is between stockings, before a range trip. My thought is that I was issued FMJ to defend my country and that is good enough if it comes down to it - yes I know the argument that it "wounds" more than kills and such but it still kills and still drives off an assailant. Honestly, it just seems to me that if JHP are illegal, well CC is going to be illegal.

I just do not rationalize in my mind to buy ammo that is much more expensive (I am talking here of defensive rounds such as Speer Gold Dot, not the Winchester hollow point cheapies) for practice and stocking, and that lead to this post asking why other folks felt differently. I do sometimes learn something new and just wanted the discussion to see if there was something I had not thought of in my own reasoning.

Thanks for the comments, I would like to hear more if anyone has anything else to say, or support any other ideas already mentioned. Thanks!

How is JHP illegal except in NJ?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Gotta agree with the logic here

I agree, I don't see a need to stock thousands of rounds of ammo for a SHTF situation. I figure if I need to fire more than a few hundred rounds to end the situation, either there are so many goblins around me that I can't cover all entrances to the house at the same time and they will sneak up behind me, burn me out, or simply drive a tank over me.
    In a "waiting for police to arrive situation I figure is it takes more than 50 rounds, I will fight my way thru the mob and go to the police myself.

Trade/barter. Ammo, smokes & booze go farther than gold & gems.

Also, you'd be surprised how fast it goes when you're using it...

No, American, I was saying it being illegal in response to someone else who I think suggested that it might be eliminated as a gun control measure. Some antis say that JHP are "cop killer" bullets instead of safety slugs. I had heard that it was illegal in NJ, but am not for sure.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have approx 1200 rounds of mixed 9mm and 45acp Ranger and Federal HST. The Ranger is the bonded 45 and for the 9, the 127+P+ and the 147. The HST is the Tactical 127+P+ in 9 and 230+P, 200+P EFMJ for the 45acp. Also bought 300 rounds of Golden Sabre in 45 165grn and 185+P when they were practically giving it away for $11 a box and it is the bonded load. That plus 300 rounds of 38 spec 158+P lwsc "SafeStop" will keep me going awhile. Good ammo is going to be hard to find and prices will be sky high before long. At least that is what everyone is telling me. You can't find HST anywhere and Ranger is hit and miss and has gone up $8 per box since last month! Get it while you can afford it.

My desire to “stock up” has nothing to do with ah SHTF situation. It is more a matter of availability and rising prices. I would rather spend some $$ up front and know that I have what I want rather than to not be able to find or afford what I want in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    The HST is the Tactical 127+P+ in 9

federal does not produce such a cartridge.

Sponsored Links