Ammo / Gun Shortage In Kentucky [MERGED]

This is a discussion on Ammo / Gun Shortage In Kentucky [MERGED] within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopped into the local gun store today and was amazed at the lack of inventory. Owner said they had ordered 80 guns and received 8 ...

Thread: Ammo / Gun Shortage In Kentucky [MERGED]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Stopped into the local gun store today and was amazed at the lack of inventory. Owner said they had ordered 80 guns and received 8 with no date for the remaining 72.

Ammo was in extreamly short supply. I had intended to buy some CCI #0030. None in stock there or Wal-Marts in Berea and Richmond KY.

9mm HP are in short supply as was about everything else. Decent inventory of Remington 115gr FMJ ball and that was about it.

Bud's in paris KY is closed for inventory this week so perhaps next week we'll see what's available. A quick look at Able's page showed low/no inventories on popular ammo too.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Not been to my local shop for a couple weeks, but they had very few pistols and the ammo was low as well. Most of the pistols in stock were over 700 or hi points. I have been trying to get my hands onto a revolver and they had .38's in the sales ad, but ran out the day before the ad came out and can't get any in, same for the xd.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

My guy just went to a show for dealers and bought like 80 guns himself. All pistols. He had a few of them in and said the rest will trickle in over the next few months. Interesting.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Still a good selection of pistols in my part of St. Louis.

Not so much ammo. Shelves been pretty bare for several weeks.

What's up with ammo?

I live in the Lexington, Ky area. I teach concealed carry and had a student say that he couldn't find any ammo. So, I went to a large sporting goods store on 1/26/09 to find that they were mostly sold out of everything. Does anyone know what's up?

Quote Originally Posted by cchager View Post
    I live in the Lexington, Ky area. I teach concealed carry and had a student say that he couldn't find any ammo. So, I went to a large sporting goods store on 1/26/09 to find that they were mostly sold out of everything. Does anyone know what's up?
    Obama! People are worried that he is going to go on his anti-gun crusade soon, so people are buying up ammo left and right.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

JD
    Administrator
    There's a "Shortage"

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-merged.html

I was at a Sportsmans Warehouse the other day and the only pistol ammo they had on the shelf was .25ACP and .44 Special.

Thank all the panic buyers.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Two words: Supply & Demand

Demand is up and supply is down.

We have at least two other threads with this same discussion right now. I would post links, but I am too lazy.

Besides, JD tends to do a very good job of it and then he has the power to close the thread when he does it too.

By the way, welcom to the forum. Don't forget to stop in the new members area and introduce yourself.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your question as to ammunition supply. It appears the manufacturers are not able to keep up with demand. It seems like people are stocking up like there is no tomorrow. Finding it here in the Richmond VA area is hit and miss as well. Hopefully things will level out soon and it will be plentiful again.

Dang JD, You all ready did while I was posting.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Dang JD, You all ready did while I was posting.
    I need a smiley of a smoking gun.

Here's a few more threads....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rtage-wwb.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-9mm-ammo.html

I was in Wally World the other day, and for the first time in months I saw 100 round boxes of .380. "Cool!" I said to myself. "I'll get a box or two for my wife." (There was still no .45 Auto for me.)
    So I went to the counter to purchase my other items and to add the .380 to the purchase, and before I could ask, another shopper came up and asked the other person behind the counter for ALL the .380 ammo.
    (Yah that's strange too. TWO people at the sporting goods counter.)
    I got none.

I went to another gun shop across the road and asked about ammo. They were out too, and they said people are buying it up because Obama has a 500% tax increase set for June.

I'm starting to think seriously about reloading for myself.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    I went to another gun shop across the road and asked about ammo. They were out too, and they said people are buying it up because Obama has a 500% tax increase set for June.
    REALLY? I mean, c'mon, really?

While don't have any doubt that we will see some stuff happen, I am really getting sick and tired of some of these dealers out there who are just sowing these seeds of panic with absolutley baslis information.

Case in point, talking with various vendors at a local gunshow this weekend. Nearly any of them would take the opertunity to tell you that they are taking a loss on the overpriced rifle they are selling because they had just spoke with their wholesaler who said that the wholesale price was now $500 over their asking price.

Yet, many of those same vendors were willing to deal some because there wasn't a long line of buyers clamoring over the overpriced rifle.

Another case in point that I have posted in another thread. PMAGS are supposed to be hard to find and when you do find them they are astronomically priced. Every single vendor that I have ran across that has them has tried to claim that their astronomical price is barely above cost. But they are always sitting on a pile and no one is standing behind me begging for them. Those vendors so far have consistantly changed their tune when I show them Mr. Ben Franklin and his identical brothers, and I have yet to pay above what I woulde expect to be a reasonable pre-election price.

Many (not all) people in the firearm business have a line of BS that just won't quit. Even when you beg them too. Don't be afraid to call BS on a statement if it sounds like BS. I have ticked off more than one dealer I know because I corrected them, but they are still happy to take my money in the end.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    Sounds like a good scare tactic to boost sales to me!

Links