38 special 158gr WW Lubaloy RN

This is a discussion on 38 special 158gr WW Lubaloy RN within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My carry guns are two older S&W model 36's,S&W says no to +P ammo,so I thought some of the older ammo from the 60's would ...

Thread: 38 special 158gr WW Lubaloy RN

My carry guns are two older S&W model 36's,S&W says no to +P ammo,so I thought some of the older ammo from the 60's would work.The Lubaloy is a copper coating on a lead RN bullet to keep from leading the barrel.
    I would like opinions.

I would not recommend lead round nose. IIRC those have a rather dismal reputation as far as stopping bad guys. Instead I would look for a standard pressure (since you have to) 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point. It isn't fantastic, but it is definitely respectable. That was the standard load for most law enforcement agencies I am familiar with before the +P stuff got popular.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

i carry an old model 60 and got a old model 36 (pin barrel). they will shoot +p ammo,, they will shoot +p+ ammo also. now would i do a range day with +p+ ammo? no, i don't, but 5 rounds sometimes it is OK. i carry +p+ ammo in the model 60. it is issue ammo from work. the firearms units checked the gun to make sure it was up to standards before i could carry it on the job as my "BUG". i would load her up with +p+ ammo for daily carry. remember you are only going to shoot five times before you run. reloading while running. the gun will take it,,better than your hand.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

try this, standard pressure, but really hits hard

Buffalo bore sells three different loads that are standard but heavy 38 loads.
    One is a 158 grain semiwad cutter which is highly regarded, sometimes called the FBI load i believe, one is a 150 grain cast lead wad cutter, and one is a 125 grain jacketed hollow point. They use the Speer Gold Dot, which is very highly regarded.

Product Line Listing

I have the 125 grain Gold Dots. Just ordered some more.
    I shot 5 rounds of this while practicing for my CCW qualifications.

It is noticably stronger recoil than the WWB 130 grains I was shooting out of my 38 snub nose. If recoil is a good measure of impact and effect to the BG, then this stuff is going to do a good job. The recoil is not unpleaseant, just noticably more than the WWB stuff.

I have a link to a discussion about the fact that the reloading manuals published 30 years ago for standard pressure 38 special, would be considered +P by todays standards.

In any event, the Buffalo Bore ammo is supposed to OK in any 38 in good condition, and I really think it does pack more punch.
    Price is not really unreasnonable for SD ammo either. Midway sells the Buffalo Bore ammo.

Non +p ammo

There are plenty of non +p loads available that should work better than old LRN. The ones I personally have experience with are the 110gr JHP and STHP from Remington and Winchester, the 110gr Hydra Shok from Federal, and the recently re-introduced 125gr Nyclad from Federal. The first three, and the 80gr Glaser non +P are available here:
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    They also list some Fiocchi loads, but I've never used them and personally don't care for their quality.

The Nyclad ( I thanked them for bringing it back at SHOT, I guess all my Emails helped)
    Federal Premium - Handgun Details

I have never used the new load from Hornady, but I believe I might give it a try when it comes in stock, looks intersting.
    https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...8e971b8d14b335

I have no experience with the Buffalo Bore, but several here recommend it highly. I'd try it based on that if I got the chance.
    Product Line Listing

I have several old .38s I choose not to shoot +P in, and I typically use Nyclads in them, with 110gr Hydra Shok in the speedloaders. The Nyclads get beat up if they are carried around in a pocket or such, so I use the fully jacketed Hydras. I am also not a fan of the target 148gr lead wadcutters for SD, too slow and too little energy for me.

158gr Lubaloy 38 spl

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    There are plenty of non +p loads available that should work better than old LRN. The ones I personally have experience with are the 110gr JHP and STHP from Remington and Winchester, the 110gr Hydra Shok from Federal, and the recently re-introduced 125gr Nyclad from Federal. The first three, and the 80gr Glaser non +P are available here:
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    They also list some Fiocchi loads, but I've never used them and personally don't care for their quality.

The Nyclad ( I thanked them for bringing it back at SHOT, I guess all my Emails helped)
    Federal Premium - Handgun Details

I have never used the new load from Hornady, but I believe I might give it a try when it comes in stock, looks intersting.
    https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...8e971b8d14b335

I have no experience with the Buffalo Bore, but several here recommend it highly. I'd try it based on that if I got the chance.
    Product Line Listing

I have several old .38s I choose not to shoot +P in, and I typically use Nyclads in them, with 110gr Hydra Shok in the speedloaders. The Nyclads get beat up if they are carried around in a pocket or such, so I use the fully jacketed Hydras. I am also not a fan of the target 148gr lead wadcutters for SD, too slow and too little energy for me.
    Superhouse 15, You don't think the Hydra Shok 110gr is to light of a bullet for enough penetration?

Penetration

Hit them where it matters and it should be fine. I'm not a "deep penetration at all costs" kind of person. The body isn't that deep and I'd rather cut a bigger hole with a good expanding (or "gasp" fragmenting) bullet. It's no problem, and actually pretty common, to put a 2" needle into the lungs. A 6" needle will reach the heart with room to spare. I'd rather chop a big hole and hit more blood vessels and cause more B/P dropping bleeding than poke a small hole through and through.

I had a customer with an old 36 J frame. He carried 158gr LSWCHP +P in it and shot range LSWC non +P for practice, with a few rounds of +P added in. He practice routine was to fire the 5 +Ps in the gun, then his practice ammo, then 5 more of +P, then some 130gr FMJ "to clean the lead out". His gun broke the flag safety on the 3rd shot of +P he fired.

Superhouse 15, Do you have any idea of velocity for the 110 gr Hydra Shok from a 1 7/8" barrel,and any idea when the 125 gr Nyclads will hit dealer shelves?

Ammo

A test running in another thread:
    Pocket Full Of Dynamite

But, no 110grs. The Federal site used to list the barrel length for the printed velocity, but no more. Maybe it's on the box, I'll check. No idea on the Nyclads, but I have a standing order for 3 boxes at the shop.

Sponsored Links