.45 Long Colt as an SD round...

This is a discussion on .45 Long Colt as an SD round... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been sniffing around the Taurus Judge bush lately and now that they have announced a snubby Judge called the "Public Defender" chambered in 3" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .45 Long Colt as an SD round...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

.45 Long Colt as an SD round...

I've been sniffing around the Taurus Judge bush lately and now that they have announced a snubby Judge called the "Public Defender" chambered in 3" mag shot shell. If I am not shooting .410 is the .45 LC a capable defensive round?

2. Remove Ads

You are probably better off shooting the .45 out of it than the .410. The .45 Long Colt is definitely and adequate defensive round. About the only time I would think of loading a shot shell in one of those is if I was hiking in snake country.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    I'll second that.
    The .45 Colt is a much better defense round than the .410 shot shell.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

OD*
    The .45 Colt has been doin' the job for 136 years.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

Thumbs up Ditto OD

Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    The .45 Colt has been doin' the job for 136 years.

One of the BEST ever. Just like the poster above,"It has been doing the job for almost 150 years now. I doubt that BGs are tougher now than then.

The 45 Colt is an excellent cartridge. It does, however, have two disadvantages. 1. It's ballistics/energy can be duplicated or improved upon by the 45 ACP and, unless you reload, 45 Colt ammo is much more expensive than 45 ACP.

As for the Judge itself, it seems to me to be a "nitch" gun. If you do a lot of hunting, fishing, hiking in snake country, I see it as a very effective snake gun and would load 2 shotshells followed up by 3, 45 Colt rounds for more dangerous animals. As a defensive handgun it, for me anyway, doesn't make the grade. If you're going to load it with 45 Colt rounds, their are better revolver alternatives available. And while I brought home a lot of rabbits, squirrels, and quail with a 410 in my youth, that was out of a shotgun with a 24" barrel. You have to remember that a 410 round isn't designed to be fired from a 2-3" barrel. While the ballistics of a 410 slug can look good on paper at over 1700 fps and over 700 ft.lbs. of energy, those are from a shotgun. I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers dropped by 50% when fired from the short barrel of a Judge.

If you want a Judge because of it's uniqueness and fun factor, then by all means go for it. I'm no one to try and talk someone out of something they want. I needed my Thompson like I needed another hole in my head but I didn't have one and wanted one. No disrespect intended as what you buy and what you like is your business and no one else's, but if I were looking for another self-defense handgun that I was going to assign serious SD duties to, I don't think I'd be looking at the Judge unless the only thing I was using it to defend against was snakes.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Not sure about those "long" Colts, but the 200-grain Speer bullets loaded by various companies into plain old vanilla .45 Colt ammo have been doing well against bad guys since the earlier versions of the same bullets were commercially available as loaded ammo only in .45 ACP by Speer. In the early 1980's, this was the round recommended by the homicide division guys working for the big-city PD for which I had just started. Of course, a broke rookie like me could not afford a throated 1911 at the time.

Cor-bon and Buffalo Bore both load 200-grain Speer JHPs into .45 Colt cases, last time I checked, and when a flare-up had me sleeping with carpal tunnel splints on both wrists, I used the Cor-bon version in my USFA sixgun for the possibility of HD happening too quickly for me to shuck the splints first. (Hard to handle an autopistol with those splints in place, and I worried about a snubby trying to jump out of my hand; the SA sixgun worked OK.)

If I had to, for some reason, use a Judge for SD, I would use .45 Colt ammo. I can't think of any good reason to use .410 shotshells for defense against man or beast.

The .45 Colt would be an excellent choice for self defense if one can manage to effectively tote the revolvers so chambered. I'd feel very well armed indeed with a .45 Colt loaded with 255 grain lead semi-wadcutters at standard velocities. It's a grand ol' revolver cartridge and quite flexible when hand loaded in a good gun.

I'd never choose any .410 load over a good .45 Colt load for self defense in a Judge. The use of the .410 shell in the revolver would be a hoot for plinking or for attempts to break hand thrown clay birds but the novelty of it would likely wear off.

My home rifle is a Winchester 94 Trapper model in 45LC and I can sign my name with it out to 50+yrds with iron sights. I know it's kind of a strange long gun for SD, but it's super fun, super accurate for a 16 inch barrel and did I mention it's really fun to shoot??

She is stoked with Corbon's DPX 225gr +P hollowpoints.

It's like Nolan Ryan throwing rocks at ya'!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I used to to have one of those Taurus Judges in a bright polished stainless steel finish. I was using it as a home defense piece with 2 .410 shotshells with 000 buckshot followed by 3 .45 Colt 225 gr. Silvertip hollowpoints. Nowadays, I just use my Glock 19 with night sights and a tactical light mounted, and a 12 ga. shotgun for HD. I carry a small J frame S&W for snakes when I am fishing or going for a short hike as it is easier to conceal in hot weather.

As the old saying goes, "a jack of all trades, but a master of none", applies aptly here to the Taurus Judge. It can do the job at hand, but there are a number of better choices to be had for any situation you may encounter.
    God bless our troops!

Cool just got a judge..

am switching from .357 to .45-410. haven't shot it yet, but had a question about the ammo. I'll also give my opinion on the judge for SD below.

?? I notice that there are .45Colt, .45ACP, and .45GAP. I know the GAP is the short one, not what I want.
    1. Can the .45ACP and the .45Colt be used interchangeably in The Judge?
    2. If not, do any of the semi-auto pistols use .45Colt?
    I'd like to get a revolver that uses the same ammo as a semi-auto, if possible. ??

I bought The Judge for my SD carry for several reasons:
    * It is smaller and concealable, but not too small for bigger hands
    * I think 410 loads are great for hiking (snakes, distress signals) and would make any attacker think twice before getting any closer. They also won't penetrate into neighboring rooms if your 1st shots go wild (like running and firing or firing in darkness).
    * The .45 was made for war, and is one of the most common gun choices. It is clearly effective against human targets (as is the .357)
    When it gets in, I'll probably carry 2 shots of .410 and 3 .45Colt shells.

My hope is that I can also find a semi-auto with the same .45 so I won't need so many different shell types.

Senior Moderator
    1. No
    2. No

The ACP has a different rim design than the Colt so it is not interchangable.

As far as I know there are no semi auto .45 Colts.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You can get revolvers that do shoot 45ACP, S&W makes revolvers chambered in this caliber. But there is no semiauto that I am aware of in 45 LC.

.45 LC is a capable round, however I think it is not a good reason to purchase a Taurus Judge, as it misses the point of the firearm.

The .410 is actually a caliber not a gauge, and in general, there is some question if you are provided with the advantages of a shotshell out of the Judge.

However IMO, once you by into the Taurus Judge, the .45 LC is a nice versatility, but it would be difficult to suggest it is the best choice as a .45 LC SD firearm (assuming you would rank the .45 LC as a suggested SD round). Off hand, I think S&W makes a .45 LC revolver that is both double and single action. Still, other calibers (simply because there is a greater variety of firearms to choose from using those other calibers) are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    ..."a jack of all trades, but a master of none", applies aptly here to the Taurus Judge. It can do the job at hand, but there are a number of better choices to be had for any situation you may encounter.
    +1

The .45 LC is a good caliber, but there are better options (and platforms) to consider. The selling point, if you buy into it, for the Judge, is .410.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links