Defensive Carry banner

12 ga. SD Shells... Where to get them???

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  SnubMan 
#1 ·
What's the best SD Shells for the 12. Hornady TAP???? Anyone know where to get it? Thanks all!

#2 ·
I use 2 3/4 win. supreme 00 in my auto and reduced recoil 00 in my pump.
I don't think flavor is all that important, if it says 12ga and buckshot it will do the job.

#3 ·
I just bought 50 rounds of Noble Sport 12g, 2 3/4, 00 Buckshot from Ammunition To Go. Noble Sport is Italian made for the Caribineri (Federal Poilce) and other police agencies. It is of higher grade than their other brand. Fifty rounds delivered to your door comes out to about 78 cents per round vice Remmington and Winchester which are about $1 per round.

#4 ·
Hmmmm..... thats interesting. So it seems like its good stuff. Have you been using it for a while? I want good ammo but the more I think about i guess for the 12 ga. and for buck shot its pretty much all the same. Does it store well??? This is ammo that has to last. Thanks!

#9 ·
Low recoil is still over 1150 feet per second. Thats 9mm bullet speed. Plenty enough velocity to penetrate a human body.

Stick with #00, #1 or #4 buckshot in whatever brand you choose.

I too have the Nobel Sport #4 low recoil buck shot along with Federal Tactical #00 Low recoil.

#10 ·
#14 ·
Shot guns, like pistols and rifles, have a liking for one brand over another. This is very important in hunting guns. For hunting purposes it is important to pattern the shot gun with several different brands to see which one your gun really likes. In SD shot guns, where targets are much closer, and the choice of shot used is much smaller, the issue is not as critical, and almost any brand will work just fine. I've noticed here, in this discussion, that most are recommending the 2 3/4" shells for SD, and was just wondering if any of you knew (and I'm sure you do) that the 2 3/4" #00 Buck load will shoot farther than the #00 Buck loads in 3", and 3 1/2" loads? The reason is a lighter load!

#17 ·
I guess this is the right place to ask. ?
The range we shoot at only allows slugs for shotguns.
We found this out the wrong way. Never fun being pulled off the line for ignorance.

I don't see the information after reading the manual several times and looking on Remington's site.
For the 870 12 ga. Express with 18" smooth barrel, is the recommended "slug" a rifled load?
I always understood to use a "sabot" load for rifled barrels.

I assume when using 00 it does not make much difference?

#18 ·
May consider Federal Tactical TruBall Rifled Slug and Tactical Buckshot Have been reading some great reviews of both

#19 ·
I fired my Noble Sport 12g 00 Buckshot rounds today. They worked well in my Winchester 1300 pump. There is a pretty healthy kick with these rounds. A little unexpected. Other rounds I have used were a little less...let's say exciting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.