12 ga. SD Shells... Where to get them???

This is a discussion on 12 ga. SD Shells... Where to get them??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the best SD Shells for the 12. Hornady TAP???? Anyone know where to get it? Thanks all!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 ga. SD Shells... Where to get them???

12 ga. SD Shells... Where to get them???

What's the best SD Shells for the 12. Hornady TAP???? Anyone know where to get it? Thanks all!

2. Remove Ads

I use 2 3/4 win. supreme 00 in my auto and reduced recoil 00 in my pump.
    I don't think flavor is all that important, if it says 12ga and buckshot it will do the job.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I just bought 50 rounds of Noble Sport 12g, 2 3/4, 00 Buckshot from Ammunition To Go. Noble Sport is Italian made for the Caribineri (Federal Poilce) and other police agencies. It is of higher grade than their other brand. Fifty rounds delivered to your door comes out to about 78 cents per round vice Remmington and Winchester which are about $1 per round.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    I just bought 50 rounds of Noble Sport 12g, 2 3/4, 00 Buckshot from Ammunition To Go. Noble Sport is Italian made for the Caribineri (Federal Poilce) and other police agencies. It is of higher grade than their other brand. Fifty rounds delivered to your door comes out to about 78 cents per round vice Remmington and Winchester which are about $1 per round.
    Hmmmm..... thats interesting. So it seems like its good stuff. Have you been using it for a while? I want good ammo but the more I think about i guess for the 12 ga. and for buck shot its pretty much all the same. Does it store well??? This is ammo that has to last. Thanks!

i alternate 00 buck, and slug. I figure if the first one dont get em, and they duck behind a wall the second one that goes through the wall will...

Quote Originally Posted by medic0079 View Post
    i alternate 00 buck, and slug. I figure if the first one dont get em, and they duck behind a wall the second one that goes through the wall will...

Probably something most instructors would warn against, for what it is worth. Most agree that it is all buck, all slug or all less lethal, never a mix.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

The best is subjective, but a majority of the user feedback on forums will yield 00 buck. With that in mind I picked up 100 rds. of Hornady TAP 00 low recoil from ammunitiontogo.com a few weeks ago.

How do the low recoil shells compare to the standard. I would think that the low recoil shells would not be as effective as the regular shotgun shells. Anyone got input on this??? Preferably some real world tests.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Low recoil is still over 1150 feet per second. Thats 9mm bullet speed. Plenty enough velocity to penetrate a human body.

Stick with #00, #1 or #4 buckshot in whatever brand you choose.

I too have the Nobel Sport #4 low recoil buck shot along with Federal Tactical #00 Low recoil.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thanks Ram Rod

I just got the stuff. Will try to fire it at the range this weekend. I do not know of any shotguns that are picky about ammo although there may be a few. It's not like handguns that can be picky.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I get mine at Wally World. Im all set so its OK that they are out.

Dont rule out some of that stuff you've been using for clays either. It will ruin your day for sure.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Shot guns, like pistols and rifles, have a liking for one brand over another. This is very important in hunting guns. For hunting purposes it is important to pattern the shot gun with several different brands to see which one your gun really likes. In SD shot guns, where targets are much closer, and the choice of shot used is much smaller, the issue is not as critical, and almost any brand will work just fine. I've noticed here, in this discussion, that most are recommending the 2 3/4" shells for SD, and was just wondering if any of you knew (and I'm sure you do) that the 2 3/4" #00 Buck load will shoot farther than the #00 Buck loads in 3", and 3 1/2" loads? The reason is a lighter load!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    Shot guns, like pistols and rifles, have a liking for one brand over another. This is very important in hunting guns. For hunting purposes it is important to pattern the shot gun with several different brands to see which one your gun really likes. In SD shot guns, where targets are much closer, and the choice of shot used is much smaller, the issue is not as critical, and almost any brand will work just fine. I've noticed here, in this discussion, that most are recommending the 2 3/4" shells for SD, and was just wondering if any of you knew (and I'm sure you do) that the 2 3/4" #00 Buck load will shoot farther than the #00 Buck loads in 3", and 3 1/2" loads? The reason is a lighter load!
    Oh wow, I didn't know that the 2 3/4 00 Buck shells shoot farther than the 3 and 3 1/2 in. shells ---- makes sense though. Good to know :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links