Best grain for .357 Sig?

This is a discussion on Best grain for .357 Sig? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any thoughts on the best grain round for a .357 Sig (for SD)? From my experience, I like the 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger. It ...

Thread: Best grain for .357 Sig?

Best grain for .357 Sig?

Any thoughts on the best grain round for a .357 Sig (for SD)?

From my experience, I like the 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger. It is a good round, and what I like most about it, is for practice, the 125 GR. FMJ Winchester matches up very closely in feel and performance (when it comes to paper targets).

I have read some claims that at 140 gr the .357 Sig begins to lose accuracy and potency compared to a 140 gr .40 S&W. I have also read this is not the case with S&B ammo, as they are a little hotter round (but well with in the rating). However, regardless of the ammo, on average, the .40 S&W are less effective at grains less than 140 (compared to .357 Sig) and in contrast .357 Sig are less effective at grains greater than 135 (compared to .40 S&W).

Thoughts?

I don't have any facts other than word of mouth. I have started to stack five 140 GR. FMJ Sellier & Bellot toward the end of the mag or alternate (esp if I'm headed into the woods) the first few shots.

I don't know why, but I have started to really like 140 GR S&B ammo in this caliber. While in contrast to what I have read, it feels like a better, more accurate round. I'm not suggesting it is better for SD (I'll stick to a hollow point for most calibers if the goal is SD).

I'm considering DoubleTap Ammunition 357 Sig 147 Grain Speer Gold Dot Jacketed Hollow Point, and would not mind hearing from anyone on the topic.

For the past 3 months or so I have been reading up on this topic (what is the best grain for .357 Sig). In general, I'll go with bigger the caliber, the more effective the round for SD. However, I'm willing to believe this may not be the case for a .357 Sig round.

2. Remove Ads

The 357 Sig was designed to "mimic" the .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP out of a 4" Barrel.

IMHO the 125 Grain load, which it was originally designed for, is still the load to use in 357 Sig. If I want to use a 147 Grain bullet, I'll load them in my 9mm.

I really like the 357 Sig, but my favorite load is the .357 Magnum. The reason I own a 40 S&W is so I can put a 357 Sig Barrel in it.

Biker

From my experience, I like the 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger.
    I think your instincts are good. I believe the USSS and the FAMs use 125grn SXT.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    IIRC, the .357 SIG load with a record of use against criminals, by police, is 125-grain. Why be a lab test animal with anything else? I am a police officer, but work for an agency which does not provide ammo, and for most of my 25 years, I have used that which worked well for my colleagues, within my agency or elsewhere. Not something new that might work, but that which already has a record of good performance. This has ranged from the Remington 210-grain lead SWC in .41, which did well for San Antonio in pre-hollowpoint days, the Speer 200-grain JHP in .45 ACP that the homicide division guys recommended, to the 45 ACP 230-grain Hydra-Shok, to the 125-grain Federal .357 mag, which I actually, eventually, used myself with devastating effect, to the several 155-180-grain .40 loads I use now, depending upon local availability.

I must now use .40 on duty, but like the .357 SIG, and am close enough to retirement that I recently purchased a .357 P229 barrel, to start experimenting. Assuming I like shooting .357 SIG, when I start carrying it, it will be a load which has preformed well over time with major PDs/agencies which have shot a sizable sample of bad guys. Accuracy will be secondary, but still a consideration.
    Last edited by Rexster; January 23rd, 2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: clarity

Speer Gold Dot 125gr HP is all I carry.

Interesting reading here;

III.C.2.q.6. .357 Sig
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

124 and 125
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

The 147gr Gold Dot from Double Tap is an amazing load. They claim 1255fps out of a 4" barrel (match that with a 9mm), but my chrony showed a consistent 1320fps out of a Glock 31. That is one fast, relatively heavy bullet with some tremendous power, penetration and proven expansion.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I use 125 gr Corbon or Double Tap mostly but occasionally 115 gr. Both feed flawlessly and shoot accurately in my G32 but I've never had to shoot anyone/anything to check the effect of either. I tend to go with lighter bullets except for 45 ACP 'cause I tend to like faster rounds.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Speer Gold Dot 125gr HP is all I carry.

Interesting reading here;

III.C.2.q.6. .357 Sig
    125gr is the only way to go in the 357 SIG caliber. I have the Hornady 124gr XTPs in my Glock 32 and I love how they cycle through, but I wasn't able to find the Hornadys in stock this time. I just picked up some Speer Gold Dot 125gr because of this and based on what I'm reading, this will be my new carry ammo when I run out of the Hornadys.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    125 Ranger T in my M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    I think your instincts are good. I believe the USSS and the FAMs use 125grn SXT.
    Antiherd, where did you come across this bit of information? I have tried to find what they carry for ammo and could never find any answers.

Thank you in advance.
    Beretta 92FS

I have had acquaintances in both agencies. Actually the FAM left (as many have) and returned to his original law enforcement organization and the USSS agent went to another 3 letter federal LE agency so let me add that I am not 100% sure as I have not spoken to either in over a year or so.

I have found it very difficult to locate 147gr JHP in premium loads on the shelves, but have heard that it can be an excellent round when loaded on the hot side. A friend of mine at the VSP tells me that testing of the 147gr JHP looked great against gel, but less impressive when layers of clothing were involved. As others have pointed out, the 357Sig was optimized for the 125gr load. According to the Double Tap website, their 125gr Gold Dot JHP offers the same performance as their .357 mag. with a rated mv of 1450 fps.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

You hit the nail right on the head, Tom!

Ever since the Miami shoot out 20+ years ago, that has been the whole premise/goal of these new auto cartridges for LEO's, (10mm; ,40 S&W; .357Sig), trying to match the one shot stop percentage of the .357 magnum 125gr revolver round.

I believe they have finally got it right with this round!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Links