Help w/ Ammo Storage -- Fire Hazard???

This is a discussion on Help w/ Ammo Storage -- Fire Hazard??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone know what would happen if there was a serious house fire and my ammunition stock pile was consumed as well? Would there be an ...

Thread: Help w/ Ammo Storage -- Fire Hazard???

Anyone know what would happen if there was a serious house fire and my ammunition stock pile was consumed as well? Would there be an explosion or bullets zipping all over? What is the solution to safe guard against this? I'm worried about the ammuntion causing harm to others (neighbors, firefighters etc.).

Also as of now I just have the ammo boxes stacked on top of each other -- is that ok or is there to much weight on the rounds that are at the bottom of the pile? Will that cause bullet set back or some other problem???

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    it will ignite, but not with enough force to go through walls or anything else. I wouldn't worry about it...if there's a fire, the room is going to be evacuated. Loaded guns can be a different story though, and for that, a fire resistant safe is a simple solution.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I really don't think the weight is going to affect the OAL of the rounds and cause bullet setback.
    One thin I'm considering is to vacuum seal my ammo though. After I make sure there is absolutely no moisture in the boxes.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

DO NOT vacuum seal your ammo! Modern vacuum sealing can change the pressure enough that the bullet will come out of the brass. Much better to use an ammo can with desiccant. Use about 20 grams of silica gel desiccant for a 50cal can.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    There will not be bullets zipping around your home, nor should there be an explosion. Since most bullets weigh more than the case---the bullet will remain in place and the case will only move a few inches. Also, since the ammo is not confined, it will not discharge like it will in a firearm chamber. It will only "pop" a little.

Back in the dark ages when I was a drill instructor for "Uncle Sam" we used to throw 30-06 rounds in the fire barrels just to watch the recruits run away. It was a mean trick, but then again I must have been pretty ornery back then.

If your house catches fire, I would suggest keeping your mouth shut, or FD will let it "burn out." As long as your weapons are unloaded and/or stored vertically, no one will receive a cookoff wound.

If firefighters hear rounds going off they ain't gonna enter the structure anyways whether you tell them or not,the rounds will probably never even leave the confines of the ammo can
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Nothing will happen. When in a fire one of two things will happen, either the pressure will be too much for the case to handle (with no chamber around it) and it will split with a pop, or the primer will be the weakest point and it will fly out of the pocket with another pop. Either way, very little danger for anyone near by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    Nothing will happen. When in a fire one of two things will happen, either the pressure will be too much for the case to handle (with no chamber around it) and it will split with a pop, or the primer will be the weakest point and it will fly out of the pocket with another pop. Either way, very little danger for anyone near by.
    Actually the round explodes but it propels the case away from the bullet since the bullet is heavier and the case doesn't have enough weight to do any harm,it might smack you hard enough to leave a bruise if your right next to it but if it's in an ammo can will probably never exit the can kinda like popcorn going off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Actually the round explodes but it propels the case away from the bullet since the bullet is heavier and the case doesn't have enough weight to do any harm,it might smack you hard enough to leave a bruise if your right next to it but if it's in an ammo can will probably never exit the can kinda like popcorn going off

Have you actually seen it happen? I have and the ones that cooked off split the case which allowed the pressure to release and never flew anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Thanks nutz4utwo! I think this is the most useful in determing what really happens.

I keep all my pistol rounds in 50 cal ammo cans from the local army surplus. If they all cook off at once, that would be a show but hopefully the 50 cal ammo cans would take the brunt of any bullet or casing movement.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Sponsored Links